    One browser to find them
    One email client to bring them all
    And through security holes, blind them...
    Paul F. Johnson, Feb 4, 2004

  2. Paul F. Johnson

    kayodeok Guest

    kayodeok, Feb 4, 2004

  3. "Paul F. Johnson" wrote...

    > I'm looking for a Windows based HTML editor along the lines of Bluefish
    > for Linux. This is for a local community project, so we can't afford
    > licences for Dreamweaver (etc)
    > Any pointers would be helpful.

    Hm, I don't know what Bluefish is like, but you could check out
    http://www.editplus.com/
    I love it!
    "EditPlus is distributed as Shareware. You can freely download and try it
    for 30 days. If you find it useful and decide to keep it over 30-day
    evaluation period, you should pay the registration fee "
    But it is fully functional also after 30 days...

    --
    Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen
    Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen, Feb 4, 2004

    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?HTML_editors

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>
    David Dorward, Feb 4, 2004
  5. Paul F. Johnson wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a Windows based HTML editor along the lines of Bluefish
    > for Linux. This is for a local community project, so we can't afford
    > licences for Dreamweaver (etc) and part of the deal on the computers is
    > that they have to use Windows until 2005, then we can change the OS to
    > what we like.
    >
    > Any pointers would be helpful.

    As far as really "free" Windows HTML Editors go, 1st Page from Evrsoft
    is quite useful, though it's not been updated in a while and if you also
    need a useful CSS editor, you could try TopStyle Light to go along with
    it. Not quite Bluefish, certainly not Dreamweaver, but free and for
    smaller sites on a budget this combo is recommendable.

    --
    Nicolai Zwar
    Nicolai P. Zwar, Feb 4, 2004
  6. Toby A Inkster, Feb 4, 2004
  7. Paul F. Johnson

    Neo Geshel Guest

    Paul F. Johnson wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a Windows based HTML editor along the lines of Bluefish
    > for Linux. This is for a local community project, so we can't afford
    > licences for Dreamweaver (etc) and part of the deal on the computers is
    > that they have to use Windows until 2005, then we can change the OS to
    > what we like.
    >
    > Any pointers would be helpful.

    HTML-Kit from Chami.com is a very powerful and extendable (through
    plug-ins) HTML editor. Also does great W3C Compliant XHTML and CSS.
    TopStyle Pro, while not free, is an excellent CSS editor. Its visual
    editing format will help you avoid syntax errors in your CSS.

    I hope this helps.

    ....Geshel
    My reply-to is an automatically monitored spam honeypot. Do not use it
    unless you want to be blacklisted by SpamCop. Please reply to my first
    name at my last name dot org.
    Neo Geshel, Feb 4, 2004
  8. Paul F. Johnson

    picayunish Guest

    Nicolai P. Zwar wrote:

    > Paul F. Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm looking for a Windows based HTML editor along the lines of Bluefish
    >> for Linux. This is for a local community project, so we can't afford
    >> licences for Dreamweaver (etc) and part of the deal on the computers is
    >> that they have to use Windows until 2005, then we can change the OS to
    >> what we like.
    >>
    >> Any pointers would be helpful.

    > As far as really "free" Windows HTML Editors go, 1st Page from Evrsoft
    > is quite useful, though it's not been updated in a while and if you also
    > need a useful CSS editor, you could try TopStyle Light to go along with
    > it. Not quite Bluefish, certainly not Dreamweaver, but free and for
    > smaller sites on a budget this combo is recommendable.

    I go for notepad, because it's the simplest editors what there is. :eek:)
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    picayunish, Feb 4, 2004
  9. Paul F. Johnson

    kayodeok Guest

    Toby A Inkster <> wrote in

    > Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen wrote:
    >
    >> Hm, I don't know what Bluefish is like,

    > http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/screenshots/create_project.png
    >
    > After Nedit, Bluefish would probably be my first choice of HTML
    > editor.

    It's hard to choose between Editors these days; the screenshot you
    posted looks similar to this PSPad screenshot except Bluefish
    interface looks a lot more polished (and I wish I could easily base
    a project on a template):
    http://www.pspad.com/pic/mainfull.png

    More Screenshots: http://www.pspad.com/en/screenshot.htm

    --
    Kayode Okeyode
    http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/
    kayodeok, Feb 4, 2004
  10. Paul F. Johnson

    Paul Furman Guest

    Here's more info to confuse you:
    http://www.edgehill.net/html/editors
    -my notes looking for a php/html editor after learning VB with their
    auto syntax goodies. I've been using 1st page but it's not real good for
    other coding languages if you might be getting into those. I added some
    from this discussion and there is another list for html/php editing
    second to last on the bottom.

    I don't hardly use any of 1st page's features. Line numbering is
    critical, color coding is nice (only for html though) and the indent
    button (arrow) is essential for moving blocks of code in & out. 1st page
    has a preview pane that's real handy. For php, the folder pane refuses
    to show anything with a php extension which is very annoying.

    Search, find/replace are real important. It would be cool to have an ftp
    sychronizer though I hate the way FrontPage sucks you into their twisted
    little world with that kind of feature <g>.

    Paul Furman, Feb 4, 2004
  11. Toby A Inkster wrote:
    > After Nedit, Bluefish would probably be my first choice of HTML editor.

    Is it available using something besides Motif, or are you just crazy
    like that?
    Leif K-Brooks, Feb 5, 2004
  12. On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:34:51 +0000, "Paul F. Johnson"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm looking for a Windows based HTML editor along the lines of Bluefish
    >for Linux. This is for a local community project, so we can't afford
    >licences for Dreamweaver (etc) and part of the deal on the computers is
    >that they have to use Windows until 2005, then we can change the OS to
    >what we like.
    >
    >Any pointers would be helpful.
    >
    >TTFN
    >
    >Paul

    I like Notepad.

    Cheers,
    Jason Henning
    Jason Henning, Feb 5, 2004
  13. Paul F. Johnson

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:34:51 +0000, "Paul F. Johnson"
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Hi,

    G'day.

    > I'm looking for a Windows based HTML editor along the lines of Bluefish

    I haven't used Bluefish (yet - I've been meaning to!), but I agree with
    Neo - HTMLKit is nice. I have just switched to that for my Windoze
    editing.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Feb 5, 2004
  14. Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > Toby A Inkster wrote:
    >> After Nedit, Bluefish would probably be my first choice of HTML editor.

    > Is it available using something besides Motif, or are you just crazy
    > like that?

    Which one? Bluefish isn't available in Motif to begin with. Nedit is, but
    also works fine with Lesstif. But I am prepared to put up with a slightly
    ugly toolkit if it gives me a nice, fast, full-featured editor.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Feb 5, 2004
  15. picayunish wrote:

    > I go for notepad, because it's the simplest editors what there is. :eek:)

    I wouldn't want to edit anything in Notepad that's longer than five
    lines. Ten at the most. ;)

    --
    Nicolai Zwar
    Nicolai P. Zwar, Feb 7, 2004
  16. Paul F. Johnson

    Paul Furman Guest

    BTW I downloaded PSPad shareware & it is OK. The automatic bracket
    creation takes some getting used to, constant bracket matching helps.
    The current line is screaming yellow (probably changeable... I changed
    the other colors). I can only set it to PHP or HTML mode which is not
    very helpful, I'd like both at once, and CSS. I had some weird
    characters produced by php from a blank file created in the program
    (some kind of hidden watermark?) Lots of unexplored features & pages of
    settings for many languages. I had the chance to prove that the undo was
    capable of moving back through an hour's worth of work (after copying a
    backup). That made me happy!

    Paul Furman, Feb 7, 2004
  17. Paul F. Johnson

    Wayne Guest

    Paul F. Johnson wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a Windows based HTML editor along the lines of Bluefish
    > for Linux. This is for a local community project, so we can't afford
    > licences for Dreamweaver (etc) and part of the deal on the computers is
    > that they have to use Windows until 2005, then we can change the OS to
    > what we like.
    >
    > Any pointers would be helpful.
    >
    > TTFN
    >
    > Paul

    Have you tried installing Mozilla browser on your computer and using
    Composer? It has WSIWYG and html source screens, and is free.

    Wayne
    Wayne, Apr 12, 2004