Looking for a good book to begin learning Javascript

WJRutledge

Just like the subject says, I'm interested in taking up Javascript and
would like to know if anyone knows of any books that are a must have.
I know there are tons of books out there on every language, but I'm
sure some are much better than others. I'm mainly looking for a
beginners book that also had advanced content too, but if that doesn't
exist, then just an excellent beginners book would be fine too. Thanks
in advance for any information you can give!

Evertjan.

WJRutledge wrote on 14 apr 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
Just like the subject says, I'm interested in taking up Javascript and
would like to know if anyone knows of any books that are a must have.
I know there are tons of books out there on every language, but I'm
sure some are much better than others. I'm mainly looking for a
beginners book that also had advanced content too, but if that doesn't
exist, then just an excellent beginners book would be fine too. Thanks
in advance for any information you can give!

As in many NGs, the NG FAQ, or reading the acrchive, will help you:

http://www.jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ3_1

RobG

Just like the subject says, I'm interested in taking up Javascript and
would like to know if anyone knows of any books that are a must have.
I know there are tons of books out there on every language, but I'm
sure some are much better than others. I'm mainly looking for a
beginners book that also had advanced content too, but if that doesn't
exist, then just an excellent beginners book would be fine too. Thanks
in advance for any information you can give!

The group FAQ provides some hints:

dd

Just like the subject says, I'm interested in taking up Javascript and
would like to know if anyone knows of any books that are a must have.
I know there are tons of books out there on every language, but I'm
sure some are much better than others. I'm mainly looking for a
beginners book that also had advanced content too, but if that doesn't
exist, then just an excellent beginners book would be fine too. Thanks
in advance for any information you can give!

You never said whether you're already a programmer.
If you are (but just haven't done any JS yet) then
these free online videos from Douglas Crockford
will help you transition from what you already know
and find out how that works in JavaScript:

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/

In those videos he also recommends a book (only one)
and that's the one with the Rhino on the white and
green cover.

Even if you haven't programmed any other language,
you might get something from those videos, it's hard
for me to tell.