    Thanks
    Johann Blake

    , Mar 20, 2006

  2. Default User Guest

    wrote:

    > I haven't been able to find a good website that has plenty of free
    > source code for C. I am looking for code for doing mostly basic stuff
    > like string parsing, math, etc.

    Try http://snippets.org and see if it has the sorts of things you want.

    Brian

    Default User, Mar 20, 2006

  3. opined:

    > I haven't been able to find a good website that has plenty of free
    > source code for C. I am looking for code for doing mostly basic stuff
    > like string parsing, math, etc.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    You haven't tried hard enough.

    Try: <http://www.sourceforge.net>

    --
    BR, Vladimir

    Winter is the season in which people try to keep the house as warm as
    it was in the summer, when they complained about the heat.

    Vladimir S. Oka, Mar 20, 2006
  4. santosh Guest

    wrote:
    > I haven't been able to find a good website that has plenty of free
    > source code for C. I am looking for code for doing mostly basic stuff
    > like string parsing, math, etc.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Johann Blake

    <OT>
    Search for 'Diet libc' on the net. It's source might give you clues as
    to how to do this stuff. Or a book like 'Algorithms in C' would be
    helpful too.
    </OT>

    santosh, Mar 20, 2006
  5. santosh Guest

    wrote:
    > I haven't been able to find a good website that has plenty of free
    > source code for C. I am looking for code for doing mostly basic stuff
    > like string parsing, math, etc.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Also check out:
    http://www.library.cornell.edu/nr/bookcpdf.html

    santosh, Mar 20, 2006
  6. zlatozar Guest

    zlatozar, Mar 20, 2006

    I checked out sourceforge.net. There's nothing there, at least not from
    finding it from an easy location. No C source code for general purppose
    applications. This website is a hodge-podge collection of everything
    under the sun with no ability to search explicity for C source code.

    Johann

    , Mar 22, 2006

    Thanks for the suggestion but that link points exclusively to
    mathematical algorithms. I'm looking, as stated in my post, for general
    purpose C routines that virtually every programmer would use.

    Johann

    , Mar 22, 2006

    This is a pretty useless website. Having a search engine return gobs of
    filenames that are based on a keyword is a waste of time for most
    developers. I'm looking for a website that has source code organised
    into categories (string, math, files, etc) and a brief description of
    what the functions do.

    Johann

    , Mar 22, 2006
  11. opined:

    > I checked out sourceforge.net. There's nothing there, at least not
    > from finding it from an easy location. No C source code for general
    > purppose applications. This website is a hodge-podge collection of
    > everything under the sun with no ability to search explicity for C
    > source code.

    Your posts make no sense if you do not quote context. Read:

    <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>

    BTW, there are general purpose libraries written in C to be found on
    SourceForge, if one looks hard enough.

    --
    BR, Vladimir

    There was an old lady of Bingly
    Who wailed, "I do hate to sleep singly.
    I thought I had got
    A bloke for my twat,
    But he seems rather queenly than kingly."

    Vladimir S. Oka, Mar 22, 2006
  12. santosh Guest

    wrote:
    > Thanks for the suggestion but that link points exclusively to
    > mathematical algorithms. I'm looking, as stated in my post, for general
    > purpose C routines that virtually every programmer would use.

    Firstly please quote context in your post. Read the following URLs:
    <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>

    As for general purpose routines that virtually any programmer would
    use, well that's what the C standard library is for. If the routines
    you need aren't included, then you may have to write your own. Because
    of various reasons the C standard library doesn't try to do everything
    under the sun like for example the Java one. Nevertheless, C's been
    widely used in the last 2 decades and thus there are freely available
    libraries for doing just about anything, though finding them and making
    them work for your platform may be a lot of work. Check out the Apache
    Portable Runtime (APR) from http://apr.apache.org/

    santosh, Mar 22, 2006
  13. CBFalconer Guest

    wrote:

    > This is a pretty useless website. Having a search engine return
    > gobs of filenames that are based on a keyword is a waste of time
    > for most developers. I'm looking for a website that has source
    > code organised into categories (string, math, files, etc) and a
    > brief description of what the functions do.

    What is useless, etc. You have to include context. Google is not
    usenet, it is only a poor excuse for an interface to usenet.
    Readers may have never received previous articles, may never
    receive them, or it may be awkward to access them. Thus articles
    have to stand on their own. For means to do this even on the
    broken google interface, see my sig below, and please be sure to
    read the referenced URLs.

    CBFalconer, Mar 22, 2006
  14. santosh wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Thanks for the suggestion but that link points exclusively to
    > > mathematical algorithms. I'm looking, as stated in my post, for general
    > > purpose C routines that virtually every programmer would use.

    > Firstly please quote context in your post. Read the following URLs:
    > <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>
    > <http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/Introduction_to_comp.lang.c>
    >
    > As for general purpose routines that virtually any programmer would
    > use, well that's what the C standard library is for. If the routines
    > you need aren't included, then you may have to write your own. Because
    > of various reasons the C standard library doesn't try to do everything
    > under the sun like for example the Java one. Nevertheless, C's been
    > widely used in the last 2 decades and thus there are freely available
    > libraries for doing just about anything, though finding them and making
    > them work for your platform may be a lot of work. Check out the Apache
    > Portable Runtime (APR) from http://apr.apache.org/

    He probably won't. I feel he's after the *exact* match for whatever his
    need is.

    --
    BR, Vladimir

    Vladimir S. Oka, Mar 22, 2006
  15. Sjouke Burry Guest

    wrote:
    > I checked out sourceforge.net. There's nothing there, at least not from
    > finding it from an easy location. No C source code for general purppose
    > applications. This website is a hodge-podge collection of everything
    > under the sun with no ability to search explicity for C source code.
    >
    > Johann

    Google for "c snippets",all sorts of small
    programs for several (or fun ) purposes.

    Sjouke Burry, Mar 23, 2006
  16. Randy Howard Guest

    wrote
    (in article
    <>):

    > Thanks for the suggestion but that link points exclusively to
    > mathematical algorithms. I'm looking, as stated in my post, for general
    > purpose C routines that virtually every programmer would use.

    Ah.. In that case you need to find an open source libc
    implementation.

    Try the gnu website.

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)