    Thanks in Advance,
    J. Sedgwick
    , Oct 29, 2006

  2. DJ Stunks Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been recently forced to switch back to windows, and I am trying
    > to find a nice lightweight editor. Things like jedit, emacs, notepad++,
    > ultraedit, etc. bug me because of all the extras. I'm looking for a
    > non-modal one, so gvim isn't an option. If it's any help, some editors
    > that I love are gedit (default GNOME), kwrite (KDE), and Geany. Geany
    > is supposed to run on windows, but I'm encountering an annoying bug in
    > which geany is unable to switch directories (says an obviously existing
    > directory doesn't exist) when I use the built in shortcut for running a
    > perl script. I can't find any help because geany doesn't have a huge
    > fanbase. Hopefully someone can recommend something, because I've spent
    > hours trying out various editors I don't like. Perhaps KWrite or gedit
    > can be run on cygwin or something?

    I use Textpad usually - a native Win32 app. I think you can use it
    free with a nag, but I'm not sure. I wouldn't say it's the greatest,
    but it seems ok and does syntax highlighting.

    -jp
    DJ Stunks, Oct 29, 2006

    wrote:

    > I have been recently forced to switch back to windows, and I
    > am trying to find a nice lightweight editor. Things like jedit,
    > emacs, notepad++, ultraedit, etc. bug me because of all the
    > extras.

    FWIW the Zeus for Windows IDE is probably not what I would
    call lightweight, but as it is highly configurable so you should
    be able to turn off or hide features you don't need.

    http://www.zeusedit.com
    Note: Zeus is shareware (45 day trial).

    Zeus does have things like Perl syntax highlighting, code folding etc

    Jussi Jumppanen
    Author: Zeus for Windows
    , Oct 29, 2006
  4. Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth :

    > I have been recently forced to switch back to windows, and I am trying
    > to find a nice lightweight editor. Things like jedit, emacs, notepad++,
    > ultraedit, etc. bug me because of all the extras. I'm looking for a
    > non-modal one, so gvim isn't an option.

    You could try evim (invoke Vim as gvim -y, or more permanently put

    source $VIMRUNTIME/evim.vim

    in your .vimrc), which sets Vim up as a point-and-click-ish editor.

    Ben

    --
    Raise your hand if you're invulnerable.
    []
    Ben Morrow, Oct 30, 2006

    For now I'm trying out EPIC on Eclipse. I'll try that evim thing, but I
    just hope the kink in Geany is worked out on Windows, because I just
    love the indenting, highlighting, and pure simplicity of it.
    , Oct 30, 2006
  6. John Bokma Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been recently forced to switch back to windows, and I am trying
    > to find a nice lightweight editor.

    TextPad?

    John Bokma, Oct 30, 2006
  7. goho Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been recently forced to switch back to windows, and I am trying
    > to find a nice lightweight editor. Things like jedit, emacs, notepad++,
    > ultraedit, etc. bug me because of all the extras. I'm looking for a
    > non-modal one, so gvim isn't an option. If it's any help, some editors
    > that I love are gedit (default GNOME), kwrite (KDE), and Geany. Geany
    > is supposed to run on windows, but I'm encountering an annoying bug in
    > which geany is unable to switch directories (says an obviously existing
    > directory doesn't exist) when I use the built in shortcut for running a
    > perl script. I can't find any help because geany doesn't have a huge
    > fanbase. Hopefully someone can recommend something, because I've spent
    > hours trying out various editors I don't like. Perhaps KWrite or gedit
    > can be run on cygwin or something?
    >
    > Thanks in Advance,
    > J. Sedgwick

    Simplicity - try Textpad or Crimson Editor (has a few more bells and
    whistles than TextPad in terms of capure/display of STDOUT etc,
    configuration for hot-keys etc - its also the right price).
    goho, Oct 30, 2006

    I'm liking textpad so far. I'll report back. Thanks for all your advice
    guys.
    , Oct 31, 2006

    Wow, I really like it. Just wondering, the default perl syntax
    highlighting in textpad does not highlight scalars, lists, hashes, etc
    or give you options to choose colors. I tried adding

    $*
    @*
    %*

    to a category in perl5.syn but that's not working. Anyone know of a
    fix, or, perhaps, a place I could find a better syntax file?
    , Oct 31, 2006