Looking for a lightweight GUI editor on Windows

j.m.sedgwick

Hi,

I have been recently forced to switch back to windows, and I am trying
to find a nice lightweight editor. Things like jedit, emacs, notepad++,
ultraedit, etc. bug me because of all the extras. I'm looking for a
non-modal one, so gvim isn't an option. If it's any help, some editors
that I love are gedit (default GNOME), kwrite (KDE), and Geany. Geany
is supposed to run on windows, but I'm encountering an annoying bug in
which geany is unable to switch directories (says an obviously existing
directory doesn't exist) when I use the built in shortcut for running a
perl script. I can't find any help because geany doesn't have a huge
fanbase. Hopefully someone can recommend something, because I've spent
hours trying out various editors I don't like. Perhaps KWrite or gedit
can be run on cygwin or something?

Thanks in Advance,
J. Sedgwick

DJ Stunks

Hi,

I have been recently forced to switch back to windows, and I am trying
to find a nice lightweight editor. Things like jedit, emacs, notepad++,
ultraedit, etc. bug me because of all the extras. I'm looking for a
non-modal one, so gvim isn't an option. If it's any help, some editors
that I love are gedit (default GNOME), kwrite (KDE), and Geany. Geany
is supposed to run on windows, but I'm encountering an annoying bug in
which geany is unable to switch directories (says an obviously existing
directory doesn't exist) when I use the built in shortcut for running a
perl script. I can't find any help because geany doesn't have a huge
fanbase. Hopefully someone can recommend something, because I've spent
hours trying out various editors I don't like. Perhaps KWrite or gedit
can be run on cygwin or something?

I use Textpad usually - a native Win32 app. I think you can use it
free with a nag, but I'm not sure. I wouldn't say it's the greatest,
but it seems ok and does syntax highlighting.

-jp

jussij

I have been recently forced to switch back to windows, and I
am trying to find a nice lightweight editor. Things like jedit,
emacs, notepad++, ultraedit, etc. bug me because of all the
extras.

FWIW the Zeus for Windows IDE is probably not what I would
call lightweight, but as it is highly configurable so you should
be able to turn off or hide features you don't need.

http://www.zeusedit.com
Note: Zeus is shareware (45 day trial).

Zeus does have things like Perl syntax highlighting, code folding etc

Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus for Windows

Ben Morrow

Quoth (e-mail address removed):
I have been recently forced to switch back to windows, and I am trying
to find a nice lightweight editor. Things like jedit, emacs, notepad++,
ultraedit, etc. bug me because of all the extras. I'm looking for a
non-modal one, so gvim isn't an option.

You could try evim (invoke Vim as gvim -y, or more permanently put

source $VIMRUNTIME/evim.vim

in your .vimrc), which sets Vim up as a point-and-click-ish editor.

Ben

j.m.sedgwick

For now I'm trying out EPIC on Eclipse. I'll try that evim thing, but I
just hope the kink in Geany is worked out on Windows, because I just
love the indenting, highlighting, and pure simplicity of it.

goho

[...]

Simplicity - try Textpad or Crimson Editor (has a few more bells and
whistles than TextPad in terms of capure/display of STDOUT etc,
configuration for hot-keys etc - its also the right price).

j.m.sedgwick

Wow, I really like it. Just wondering, the default perl syntax
highlighting in textpad does not highlight scalars, lists, hashes, etc
or give you options to choose colors. I tried adding

$*
@*
%*

to a category in perl5.syn but that's not working. Anyone know of a
fix, or, perhaps, a place I could find a better syntax file?