Looking for a module (or anything) to grab a webcam image

PB

A perldoc -q query didn't turn up anything camera- or webcam-related
that looked useful; neither did a CPAN module search nor a Google Groups
search or a Google Web search.

What I'm trying to do is grab a still image from a USB camera and save
it to an image file. Either a Linux- or a Win32-based solution would be
acceptable.

Perhaps there's some notion of the ability to "capture" the data stream
from a USB port and save the result as an image file, but I'm not sure
where to start that line of research.

J. Gleixner

PB said:
A perldoc -q query didn't turn up anything camera- or webcam-related
that looked useful; neither did a CPAN module search nor a Google Groups
search or a Google Web search.

Oh Really. Searching CPAN for 'video' or the Internet for
ohhh.. "webcam capture image" didn't find anything useful?
How strange.. Doing just that I see a lot of possibilities.

PB

* J. Gleixner wrote, On 11/1/2007 11:28 AM:
Oh Really. Searching CPAN for 'video' or the Internet for
ohhh.. "webcam capture image" didn't find anything useful?
How strange.. Doing just that I see a lot of possibilities.

OK, OK, there was Video::Capture::V4l::Imager at CPAN (I did find that
before posting.)

As for your other recommendation, I thought the fact that I was asking
the question in a Perl/perl group would obviate the fact that I was
searching for a perl solution to my problem. Try Googling /"webcam
capture image" perl/ and see what I mean.

So, let me restate my question:

Is there any perl-ish way to capture a USB webcam image and save it to a
file?

Has anyone used Video::Capture::V4l::Imager? I'd just install and start
mucking around with it, but I'm at work now and just thought I'd test
the waters here for some ideas.

Paul

* Tad McClellan wrote, On 11/1/2007 6:53 PM:
snipped Message-ID

Hmm ... thanks. Didn't think about the fact that I'd been plonked in
that exchange. I've learned a lot in two years, but I don't suppose that
will go very far here.

In case there's any chance at all of anyone answering my question, I'll
repost: