Looking for a name for a deployment framework...

Discussion in 'Python' started by jonathan.slenders@gmail.com, Jun 24, 2013.

  1. Guest

    Hi all,

    Any suggestions for a good name, for a framework that does automatic server deployments?

    It's like Fabric, but more powerful.
    It has some similarities with Puppet, Chef and Saltstack, but is written in Python.

    Key points are that it uses Python, but is still very declarative and supports introspection. It supports parallel deployments, and interactivity. And it has a nice commandline shell with autocompletion for traversing the deployment tree.

    The repository:
    https://github.com/jonathanslenders/python-deployer/tree/refactoring-a-lot-v2


    Suggestions welcome :)
    Jonathan
     
    , Jun 24, 2013
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Roy Smith Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Any suggestions for a good name, for a framework that does automatic server
    > deployments?
    >
    > It's like Fabric, but more powerful.
    > It has some similarities with Puppet, Chef and Saltstack, but is written in
    > Python.
    >
    > Key points are that it uses Python, but is still very declarative and
    > supports introspection. It supports parallel deployments, and interactivity.
    > And it has a nice commandline shell with autocompletion for traversing the
    > deployment tree.
    >
    > The repository:
    > https://github.com/jonathanslenders/python-deployer/tree/refactoring-a-lot-v2
    >
    >
    > Suggestions welcome :)
    > Jonathan


    Without forming any opinion on the software itself, the best advice I
    can offer is that naming puns are very popular. If you're thinking of
    this as a fabric replacement, I would go with cloth, textile, material,
    gabardine, etc.
     
    Roy Smith, Jun 24, 2013
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. MRAB Guest

    On 24/06/2013 13:50, Roy Smith wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Any suggestions for a good name, for a framework that does automatic server
    >> deployments?
    >>
    >> It's like Fabric, but more powerful.
    >> It has some similarities with Puppet, Chef and Saltstack, but is written in
    >> Python.
    >>
    >> Key points are that it uses Python, but is still very declarative and
    >> supports introspection. It supports parallel deployments, and interactivity.
    >> And it has a nice commandline shell with autocompletion for traversing the
    >> deployment tree.
    >>
    >> The repository:
    >> https://github.com/jonathanslenders/python-deployer/tree/refactoring-a-lot-v2
    >>
    >>
    >> Suggestions welcome :)
    >> Jonathan

    >
    > Without forming any opinion on the software itself, the best advice I
    > can offer is that naming puns are very popular. If you're thinking of
    > this as a fabric replacement, I would go with cloth, textile, material,
    > gabardine, etc.
    >

    Snakeskin? Oh, I see that's already taken. :-(
     
    MRAB, Jun 24, 2013
    #3
  4. Neil Cerutti Guest

    On 2013-06-24, MRAB <> wrote:
    > On 24/06/2013 13:50, Roy Smith wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions for a good name, for a framework that does automatic server
    >>> deployments?
    >>>
    >>> It's like Fabric, but more powerful.
    >>> It has some similarities with Puppet, Chef and Saltstack, but is written in
    >>> Python.
    >>>
    >>> Key points are that it uses Python, but is still very declarative and
    >>> supports introspection. It supports parallel deployments, and interactivity.
    >>> And it has a nice commandline shell with autocompletion for traversing the
    >>> deployment tree.
    >>>
    >>> The repository:
    >>> https://github.com/jonathanslenders/python-deployer/tree/refactoring-a-lot-v2
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Suggestions welcome :)
    >>> Jonathan

    >>
    >> Without forming any opinion on the software itself, the best advice I
    >> can offer is that naming puns are very popular. If you're thinking of
    >> this as a fabric replacement, I would go with cloth, textile, material,
    >> gabardine, etc.

    >
    > Snakeskin? Oh, I see that's already taken. :-(


    Most things are taken nowadays.

    A short nonsense-word is best. Something like "Folaf". Yeah, it
    doesn't spark the imagination, but it's easy to find, if not to
    remember.

    Well, not "Folaf." That seems to be an African style restaurant
    in L.A.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
     
    Neil Cerutti, Jun 24, 2013
    #4
  5. wrote:

    > Any suggestions for a good name,
    > for a framework that does
    > automatic server deployments ?


    asdf : automatic server deployment framework


    --
    Stanley C. Kitching
    Human Being
    Phoenix, Arizona
     
    Cousin Stanley, Jun 24, 2013
    #5
  6. On 24-6-2013 20:13, Cousin Stanley wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Any suggestions for a good name,
    >> for a framework that does
    >> automatic server deployments ?

    >
    > asdf : automatic server deployment framework
    >
    >



    :)


    wsad: wonderful serverside automatic deployments

    (hm, could use a bit of tweaking, maybe FPS keys don't map easily to names)


    Irmen
     
    Irmen de Jong, Jun 24, 2013
    #6
  7. On 24 Jun 2013 13:39, <> wrote:
    >
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Any suggestions for a good name, for a framework that does automatic

    server deployments?
    >
    > It's like Fabric, but more powerful.
    > It has some similarities with Puppet, Chef and Saltstack, but is written

    in Python.
    >
    > Key points are that it uses Python, but is still very declarative and

    supports introspection. It supports parallel deployments, and
    interactivity. And it has a nice commandline shell with autocompletion for
    traversing the deployment tree.
    >
    > The repository:
    >

    https://github.com/jonathanslenders/python-deployer/tree/refactoring-a-lot-v2
    >
    >
    > Suggestions welcome :)
    > Jonathan


    omglolftwdeploy
     
    Fábio Santos, Jun 24, 2013
    #7
  8. Guest

    Thanks everyone, I'll think about it.

    The main reason is that I'm working on the documentation, and this a a good opportunity to think about the naming. python-deploy-framework or python-deployer could be too boring.
     
    , Jun 24, 2013
    #8
  9. Roy Smith Guest

    In article <kqa28v$4us$>,
    Cousin Stanley <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    > > Any suggestions for a good name,
    > > for a framework that does
    > > automatic server deployments ?

    >
    > asdf : automatic server deployment framework


    I prefer:

    Quite Wonderful Electronic Rollout Tool
     
    Roy Smith, Jun 25, 2013
    #9
  10. Chris Rebert Guest

    On Jun 24, 2013 5:36 AM, <> wrote:
    >
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Any suggestions for a good name, for a framework that does automatic

    server deployments?
    >
    > It's like Fabric, but more powerful.
    > It has some similarities with Puppet, Chef and Saltstack, but is written

    in Python.

    Er, Salt is likewise written in Python.
    (Your statement seemed to imply otherwise.)

    Cheers,
    Chris
     
    Chris Rebert, Jun 25, 2013
    #10
  11. Guest

    Le mardi 25 juin 2013 06:38:44 UTC+2, Chris Rebert a écrit :
    > Er, Salt is likewise written in Python.


    You're right. Salt is also Python, excuse me, and it's very powerful as well.
     
    , Jun 25, 2013
    #11
  12. Robert Kern Guest

    On 2013-06-24 13:50, Roy Smith wrote:

    > Without forming any opinion on the software itself, the best advice I
    > can offer is that naming puns are very popular. If you're thinking of
    > this as a fabric replacement, I would go with cloth, textile, material,
    > gabardine, etc.


    brocade

    --
    Robert Kern

    "I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma
    that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had
    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco
     
    Robert Kern, Jun 25, 2013
    #12
  13. writes:

    > Any suggestions for a good name, for a framework that does automatic
    > server deployments?


    Whatever you choose, make sure it is easily searchable. Googling for
    "puppet" and "chef" only recently gave relevant results for something
    not, er, doll or food related. It is not helpful that one of chef's
    tools is called "knife".

    Puns may be fun, (ok, puns _are_ fun, but don't ask my wife about that)
    but it'll be a pain to find information about the software. This _may_
    hinder adoption, as helpful search results may be hard to find.

    Find something prononouncable, check it for "does not mean anything
    insulting to anyone's mother's genetics in whatever language", and do a
    quick search for it. The less results you get, the easier information
    about your software will be to find later.

    --
    Stig Sandbeck Mathisen
     
    Stig Sandbeck Mathisen, Jun 25, 2013
    #13
  14. writes:

    > Any suggestions for a good name, for a framework that does automatic
    > server deployments?


    Whatever you choose, make sure it is easily searchable. Googling for
    "puppet" and "chef" only recently gave relevant results for something
    not, er, doll or food related. It is not helpful that one of chef's
    tools is called "knife".

    Puns may be fun, (ok, puns _are_ fun, but don't ask my wife about that)
    but it'll be a pain to find information about the software. This _may_
    hinder adoption, as helpful search results may be hard to find.

    Find something prononouncable, check it for "does not mean anything
    insulting to anyone's mother's genetics in whatever language", and do a
    quick search for it. The less results you get, the easier information
    about your software will be to find later.

    --
    Stig Sandbeck Mathisen
     
    Stig Sandbeck Mathisen, Jun 25, 2013
    #14
  15. Dave Angel Guest

    On 06/25/2013 03:38 PM, Stig Sandbeck Mathisen wrote:
    > writes:
    >
    >> Any suggestions for a good name, for a framework that does automatic
    >> server deployments?

    >
    > Whatever you choose, make sure it is easily searchable. Googling for
    > "puppet" and "chef" only recently gave relevant results for something
    > not, er, doll or food related. It is not helpful that one of chef's
    > tools is called "knife".
    >
    > Puns may be fun, (ok, puns _are_ fun, but don't ask my wife about that)
    > but it'll be a pain to find information about the software. This _may_
    > hinder adoption, as helpful search results may be hard to find.
    >
    > Find something prononouncable, check it for "does not mean anything
    > insulting to anyone's mother's genetics in whatever language", and do a
    > quick search for it. The less results you get, the easier information
    > about your software will be to find later.
    >


    OHHH, we've got another google-groups sucker. Please switch to
    something that works, that doesn't double-post (like your current
    message), and that doesn't double-space any quoting of previous messages.

    Google groups has been broken for a long time, though the details change
    from version to version. Learning to use it right is harder than
    switching to a simple mail client like Thunderbird.

    --
    DaveA
     
    Dave Angel, Jun 26, 2013
    #15
  16. xDog Walker Guest

    On Tuesday 2013 June 25 19:16, Dave Angel wrote:
    > On 06/25/2013 03:38 PM, Stig Sandbeck Mathisen wrote:
    > > writes:
    > >> Any suggestions for a good name, for a framework that does automatic
    > >> server deployments?


    Yet Another Deployment Framework?

    --
    Yonder nor sorghum stenches shut ladle gulls stopper torque wet
    strainers.
     
    xDog Walker, Jun 26, 2013
    #16
  17. Roy Smith Guest

    In article <>,
    xDog Walker <> wrote:

    > On Tuesday 2013 June 25 19:16, Dave Angel wrote:
    > > On 06/25/2013 03:38 PM, Stig Sandbeck Mathisen wrote:
    > > > writes:
    > > >> Any suggestions for a good name, for a framework that does automatic
    > > >> server deployments?

    >
    > Yet Another Deployment Framework?


    Boring.

    How about "Soliloquy". Then the project tag line could be, "Deploy, or
    not deploy, that is the question".

    For further hack value, require that all pull requests to the project be
    done entirely in iambic pentameter:

    for host in hosts:
    deploy(the_code).remote()
     
    Roy Smith, Jun 26, 2013
    #17
  18. On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 9:40 PM, Roy Smith <> wrote:
    > For further hack value, require that all pull requests to the project be
    > done entirely in iambic pentameter:
    >
    > for host in hosts:
    > deploy(the_code).remote()


    For further hack delight, require a patch
    Submitted for this code restrict itself
    To five feet, neither more nor less; iambs.
    But how should all those colons be pronounced?

    ChrisA
     
    Chris Angelico, Jun 30, 2013
    #18
  19. rusi Guest

    On Sunday, June 30, 2013 7:08:51 AM UTC+5:30, Chris Angelico wrote:
    > On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 9:40 PM, Roy Smith wrote:
    > > for host in hosts:
    > > deploy(the_code).remote()

    >
    > For further hack delight, require a patch
    > Submitted for this code restrict itself
    > To five feet, neither more nor less; iambs.
    > But how should all those colons be pronounced?


    Hear Hear I say! Thou causest sweet delight
    Chris with Roy; poets of this assembly
     
    rusi, Jun 30, 2013
    #19
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?SW5CaXpfRGV2?=

    Framework Installation & Deployment Confusion

    =?Utf-8?B?SW5CaXpfRGV2?=, Sep 13, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    301
    Kevin Spencer
    Sep 13, 2004
  2. Benny Ng
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    4,428
    Benny Ng
    Oct 3, 2005
  3. =?iso-8859-1?B?bW9vcJk=?=
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    834
    Roedy Green
    Jan 2, 2006
  4. ding feng
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,826
    ding feng
    Jun 25, 2003
  5. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    382
Loading...

Share This Page