Looking for a Obfuscator

Sargo

Im about done with my coding on my latest project and want to use a
Obfuscator to protect it. What suggestions can everyone offer for one. My
project is done as a hobby and I would prefer one thats freeware or under
100 bucks (if these types exsist)

Hopefully they will protect against VS.NET decompiler as well.

Many thanks in advance!

Karl Heinz Buchegger

Sargo said:
Im about done with my coding on my latest project and want to use a
Obfuscator to protect it. What suggestions can everyone offer for one. My
project is done as a hobby and I would prefer one thats freeware or under
100 bucks (if these types exsist)

Hopefully they will protect against VS.NET decompiler as well.

Your last sentence makes me think if you know what 'obfuscation' means.
One question: In which form are you delivering your project?
As source code or as compiled (and possibly linked) binary.

If the later is the case: Don't worry. The binary (the library or
the executable) will already be in a form that no one can reverse
engineer it without lots of effort.

All an obfuscator does is: Work on the source code level to make
the program text unreadable. If you don't hand out the source code,
you don't need to obfuscate it. If you do: Well, a start is to remove
line breaks and cram lots of statements into a single line. Also: renaming
variables to one or two letters ( the letters i, 1, l are good candiates
for that as they look pretty much the same ) helps too.
But: Even obfuscated code can be made readable, if someone puts a little bit
of effort into it.

Mike Hewson

Sargo said:
Im about done with my coding on my latest project and want to use a
Obfuscator to protect it. What suggestions can everyone offer for one. My
project is done as a hobby and I would prefer one thats freeware or under
100 bucks (if these types exsist)

Hopefully they will protect against VS.NET decompiler as well.

Many thanks in advance!

Obfuscation won't really deter a determined attempt.
Alas, in my experience, computer hardware and software is 'about' as
secure as the room you lock it in!

Gernot Frisch

Sargo said:
Im about done with my coding on my latest project and want to use a
Obfuscator to protect it. What suggestions can everyone offer for
one. My
project is done as a hobby and I would prefer one thats freeware or
under
100 bucks (if these types exsist)

Obsfrucation is only needed if you want to give away the source code,
but don't want anyone to change, read or extend it.
But then - why would you give the code in the first place? Maybe
because it's a GPL project you extended?
Hopefully they will protect against VS.NET decompiler as well.

As "decompiler" says: It's been (pre)compiled before - all
obsfruscation will result in the same executable code after
compilation - nothing you can do against this problem - however have
you had a look at VS.NET decompiler output yet? I think you don't have
to worry about that...

What's most important - your code will not be of any interest for more
than 2 people on this planet. Don't bother to protect it (unless it's
a software protection code)

-Gernot

Ioannis Vranos

Karl said:
Your last sentence makes me think if you know what 'obfuscation' means.
One question: In which form are you delivering your project?
As source code or as compiled (and possibly linked) binary.

If the later is the case: Don't worry. The binary (the library or
the executable) will already be in a form that no one can reverse
engineer it without lots of effort.

All an obfuscator does is: Work on the source code level to make
the program text unreadable. If you don't hand out the source code,
you don't need to obfuscate it.

No, in .NET world an obfuscator obfuscates the produced binary (which is
actually intermediate language - IL - code).

I have downloaded two days ago a nice shareware but haven't had the time
to check it yet, that disassembles exes to C++ with managed extensions
among other things. It must be really good stuff. It also includes an
obfuscator.

No advertising here, here is the link:

http://www.9rays.net/cgi-bin/components.cgi?act=1&cid=86