    100 bucks (if these types exsist)

    Hopefully they will protect against VS.NET decompiler as well.

    Many thanks in advance!
    Sargo, Jan 5, 2005

  2. Sargo wrote:

    > Im about done with my coding on my latest project and want to use a
    > Obfuscator to protect it. What suggestions can everyone offer for one. My
    > project is done as a hobby and I would prefer one thats freeware or under
    > 100 bucks (if these types exsist)
    >
    > Hopefully they will protect against VS.NET decompiler as well.

    Your last sentence makes me think if you know what 'obfuscation' means.
    One question: In which form are you delivering your project?
    As source code or as compiled (and possibly linked) binary.

    If the later is the case: Don't worry. The binary (the library or
    the executable) will already be in a form that no one can reverse
    engineer it without lots of effort.

    All an obfuscator does is: Work on the source code level to make
    the program text unreadable. If you don't hand out the source code,
    you don't need to obfuscate it. If you do: Well, a start is to remove
    line breaks and cram lots of statements into a single line. Also: renaming
    variables to one or two letters ( the letters i, 1, l are good candiates
    for that as they look pretty much the same ) helps too.
    But: Even obfuscated code can be made readable, if someone puts a little bit
    of effort into it.

    --
    Karl Heinz Buchegger
    Karl Heinz Buchegger, Jan 5, 2005

  3. Sargo

    Mike Hewson Guest

    Sargo wrote:
    > Im about done with my coding on my latest project and want to use a
    > Obfuscator to protect it. What suggestions can everyone offer for one. My
    > project is done as a hobby and I would prefer one thats freeware or under
    > 100 bucks (if these types exsist)
    >
    > Hopefully they will protect against VS.NET decompiler as well.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance!

    Obfuscation won't really deter a determined attempt.
    Alas, in my experience, computer hardware and software is 'about' as
    secure as the room you lock it in!

    --

    Cheers
    Mike Hewson, Jan 5, 2005
  4. "Sargo" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Im about done with my coding on my latest project and want to use a
    > Obfuscator to protect it. What suggestions can everyone offer for
    > one. My
    > project is done as a hobby and I would prefer one thats freeware or
    > under
    > 100 bucks (if these types exsist)

    Obsfrucation is only needed if you want to give away the source code,
    but don't want anyone to change, read or extend it.
    But then - why would you give the code in the first place? Maybe
    because it's a GPL project you extended?

    > Hopefully they will protect against VS.NET decompiler as well.

    As "decompiler" says: It's been (pre)compiled before - all
    obsfruscation will result in the same executable code after
    compilation - nothing you can do against this problem - however have
    you had a look at VS.NET decompiler output yet? I think you don't have
    to worry about that...

    What's most important - your code will not be of any interest for more
    than 2 people on this planet. Don't bother to protect it (unless it's
    a software protection code)

    -Gernot
    Gernot Frisch, Jan 5, 2005
  5. Karl Heinz Buchegger wrote:

    > Your last sentence makes me think if you know what 'obfuscation' means.
    > One question: In which form are you delivering your project?
    > As source code or as compiled (and possibly linked) binary.
    >
    > If the later is the case: Don't worry. The binary (the library or
    > the executable) will already be in a form that no one can reverse
    > engineer it without lots of effort.
    >
    > All an obfuscator does is: Work on the source code level to make
    > the program text unreadable. If you don't hand out the source code,
    > you don't need to obfuscate it.

    No, in .NET world an obfuscator obfuscates the produced binary (which is
    actually intermediate language - IL - code).

    I have downloaded two days ago a nice shareware but haven't had the time
    to check it yet, that disassembles exes to C++ with managed extensions
    among other things. It must be really good stuff. It also includes an
    obfuscator.

    No advertising here, here is the link:

    http://www.9rays.net/cgi-bin/components.cgi?act=1&cid=86

    --
    Ioannis Vranos

    http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys
    Ioannis Vranos, Jan 5, 2005
  6. Sargo

    Guest

    Our Decompiler.NET product might provide some useful insight to this
    discussion. It's both an obfuscator and .NET decompiler and will help
    you determine the level vulnerability of your code. You can download a
    free trial version from the products page on our website at
    http://www.junglecreatures.com/

    Jonathan Pierce
    President
    Jungle Creatures, Inc.