Looking for a Python-on-Windows person to help with SpamBayes

skip

I'm looking for some help with SpamBayes. It can be short-term or
long-term. I've implemented some OCR capability based on the open source
ocrad program that works reasonably well to extract text tokens from
image-based spam. Alas, I don't use Windows at all, so I can't make sure
this stuff works on Windows. None of the usual suspects in the SpamBayes
development community have any free time at the moment. Others are helping
out, but they are user types, not programmer types, so the round trip
between "this doesn't work", to "okay, try this" and back again is
agonizingly slow.

The bare requirements are:

* Able to program in Python on Windows (that is, remove my Unix-think
from the OCR bits of code)

* Use Outlook to read mail (so you can test the changes with the
SpamBayes Outlook plugin)

If you can compile software under cygwin (the ocrad program builds fine
under cygwin) and/or can create installers for Python-based Windows apps
that would be a plus.

If you can help out, please drop an email to (e-mail address removed).

Thanks,

olsongt

--

Does ocrad require the cygwin environment to run?

skip

olsongt> Does ocrad require the cygwin environment to run?

No. It was compiled so it didn't require the cygwin runtime environment. I
presume it was statically linked.

Skip

George Sakkis

The bare requirements are:

* Able to program in Python on Windows (that is, remove my Unix-think
from the OCR bits of code)

* Use Outlook to read mail (so you can test the changes with the
SpamBayes Outlook plugin)

Does "remove my unix-think" mean replacing it with equivalent
Windows-think (e.g through Win32all, Win32 API, COM) or it can be done
in platform-independent way ? In the second case I might be able to
help as I'm using SpamBayes with Outlook at work, but I don't do
windows-specific programming.

George

skip

George> Does "remove my unix-think" mean replacing it with equivalent
George> Windows-think (e.g through Win32all, Win32 API, COM) or it can
George> be done in platform-independent way ?

The latter I think. This particular part of the code doesn't involve any
GUI bits. I could probably do it myself in an hour or so, but I simply
don't have access to Windows at home.

George> In the second case I might be able to help as I'm using
George> SpamBayes with Outlook at work, but I don't do windows-specific
George> programming.

That would be great...

Skip