Looking for a Python PHP programmer

Discussion in 'Python' started by a, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. a

    a Guest

    Hi there,

    I am looking for a Python/PHP programmer with over 6 years of experience to
    develop applications in a UNIX (open source) environment.

    The products are DB backed web applications and the skills should include
    in-depth knowledge of HTML (actual coding and not wysiwug) and cascade style
    sheets.

    The application is commercial/corporate server application and the project
    is 6 month with a very good pay.

    If interested please send your resume to svasjobs (at) NOSPAMpacbell.net
    (please remove NOSPAM).

    This project is in northern California.

    Thanks for your time.

    a, Jul 5, 2004

  2. a

    Rene Pijlman Guest

    a:
    >I am looking for a Python/PHP programmer

    Make up your mind please :)

    --
    René Pijlman

    Rene Pijlman, Jul 5, 2004

  3. Rene Pijlman wrote:
    > a:
    >>I am looking for a Python/PHP programmer

    > Make up your mind please :)

    Why? http://www.csh.rit.edu/~jon/projects/pip/

    Reinhold

    --
    Wenn eine Linuxdistribution so wenig brauchbare Software wie Windows
    mitbrächte, wäre das bedauerlich. Was bei Windows der Umfang eines

    Reinhold Birkenfeld, Jul 5, 2004
  4. Rene Pijlman wrote:
    > a:
    >
    >>I am looking for a Python/PHP programmer

    > Make up your mind please :)

    It's not unrealistic that they have projects where both languages are
    involved.

    -- Gerhard

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=, Jul 5, 2004
  5. a

    Roger Binns Guest

    Rene Pijlman wrote:
    > a:
    > > I am looking for a Python/PHP programmer

    > Make up your mind please :)

    I've done Python/PHP programming! I did all the hard work in Python
    and then used XML-RPC between Python and PHP to draw the results (the
    majority of which was done using Smarty). The Python types converted
    very nicely into PHP types, but with some constraints (you can't use
    None). I used dicts and lists from the Python side.

    I even stored the Smarty templates on the Python side so that Python
    was completely in control. The main pure PHP piece was dealing with
    file uploads, but that is because I wanted the uploaded files to
    stay on the PHP machine.

    Roger

    Roger Binns, Jul 5, 2004
  6. a wrote:
    > I am looking for a Python/PHP programmer with over 6 years of experience to
    > develop applications in a UNIX (open source) environment.

    PHP 3, the first version resembling the PHP we know and hate today, was
    only released in June 1998. It seems a bit unreasonable to expect people
    to have been using it since a month after its release.

    Leif K-Brooks, Jul 6, 2004
  7. a

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > a wrote:
    >
    >> I am looking for a Python/PHP programmer with over 6 years of
    >> experience to
    >> develop applications in a UNIX (open source) environment.

    > PHP 3, the first version resembling the PHP we know and hate today, was
    > only released in June 1998. It seems a bit unreasonable to expect people
    > to have been using it since a month after its release.

    It's not clear that the six years of experience necessarily
    applies to the "Python/PHP" part more than it was intended
    to apply just to the "programmer" part. Usually, or at least
    most often, I believe, years of experience is intended to
    suggest a particular level of "programming maturity" rather
    than simply X years of having used a given language.

    Of course, maybe they really do want someone who has done
    Python and PHP together for six years, in which case more
    power to them because they're rather limiting themselves
    to a small supply...

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Jul 6, 2004
  8. a

    Roger Binns Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > a wrote:
    > > I am looking for a Python/PHP programmer with over 6 years of experience to
    > > develop applications in a UNIX (open source) environment.

    > PHP 3, the first version resembling the PHP we know and hate today, was
    > only released in June 1998. It seems a bit unreasonable to expect people
    > to have been using it since a month after its release.

    They may mean 6 years of general experience, not necessarily experience
    in PHP and Python for that period of time. I have frequently heard
    anecdotal "evidence" that it takes about 2 weeks to turn a decent
    programmer into a decent Python programmer.

    PHP seemed a little hairier to me and by my estimation would take about
    2 months to reach the same level of proficiency. A lot of that is due
    to the PHP history, as any particular version has all sorts of stuff
    that is being cleaned up and/or deprecated. Everything being a
    string is also a help in a web environment, until it starts hindering
    you adding to the proficiency time.

    Roger

    Roger Binns, Jul 6, 2004
  9. a

    Rene Pijlman Guest

    Roger Binns:
    >I've done Python/PHP programming! I did all the hard work in Python
    >and then used XML-RPC between Python and PHP to draw the results (the
    >majority of which was done using Smarty).

    OK, but I'm just curious... why didn't you use one of the Python-based
    template systems?

    --
    René Pijlman

    Rene Pijlman, Jul 6, 2004
  10. a

    Roger Binns Guest

    Rene Pijlman wrote:
    > OK, but I'm just curious... why didn't you use one of the Python-based
    > template systems?

    The most immediate problem was that the ISP didn't have mod_python or
    something similar installed. The implementation had to have seperate
    back and front ends to prove that the front end could be done in any
    language of the customer's choosing (I mainly expect them to want to
    do Java).

    And then none of the Python template systems I looked at match the
    simplicity of Smarty's modifiers. Look at
    http://smarty.php.net/crashcourse.php and see things like
    |captitalize and |escape. The full list is at
    http://smarty.php.net/manual/en/language.modifiers.php
    I also wrote one or two of my own.

    I also needed to use the capture function for some pieces of
    repeated text. And I also wrote some of my own control structures
    to help encapsulate form and state information.

    The Smarty documentation is excellent. Smarty definitely falls into
    the "do one thing and do it well" camp. I was VERY productive in
    Smarty, and the source is immediately readable to people who don't
    know PHP.

    For Python, I think the closest match is Cheetah, but it tries to be
    more generic, the filter syntax is less friendly than the Smarty version,
    and it seems more clunky. Some familiarity with the Python standard
    library is also needed by other people reading your source.

    Roger

    Roger Binns, Jul 6, 2004
  11. a

    Peter Maas Guest

    Roger Binns schrieb:
    > And then none of the Python template systems I looked at match the
    > simplicity of Smarty's modifiers. Look at
    > http://smarty.php.net/crashcourse.php and see things like
    > |captitalize and |escape.

    I think in Cheetah it's .capitalize and .escape (details may vary).
    The elegance of the Cheetah way is how they map Python code
    to placeholders. Every method and every field of an object can
    be addressed in a Cheetah template.

    But it's of course a neat idea to combine PHP and Python given
    the overwhelming PHP predominance at ISPs.

    > For Python, I think the closest match is Cheetah, but it tries
    > to be more generic, the filter syntax is less friendly than the
    > Smarty version, and it seems more clunky. Some familiarity
    > with the Python standard library is also needed by other people
    > reading your source.

    That depends on your code. You can easily write classes and
    instantiate objects that are immediately understood by Python-
    unaware readers such as customer, order, love, hate, life,
    death, ... :) There's no need to expose the standard library.

    Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

    Peter Maas

    Peter Maas, M+R Infosysteme, D-52070 Aachen, Tel +49-241-93878-0
    eMail 'cGV0ZXIubWFhc0BtcGx1c3IuZGU=\n'.decode('base64')

    Peter Maas, Jul 7, 2004
  12. There is a hidden problem with PHP4 : it does not support Unicode, and
    that's a very big problem for multilingual sites. Of course you can encode
    everything in UTF8 but string manipulation becomes clumsy.

    =?iso-8859-15?Q?Pierre-Fr=E9d=E9ric_Caillaud?=, Jul 7, 2004
  13. a

    Roger Binns Guest

    Peter Maas wrote:
    > I think in Cheetah it's .capitalize and .escape (details may vary).

    Yes, but that is because you know they are available as string
    methods :) Smarty is simpler and I think the syntax is
    better for expressing that sort of thing. It isn't as "powerful"
    as a result, but if you never use the "power" it doesn't matter.

    > The elegance of the Cheetah way is how they map Python code
    > to placeholders. Every method and every field of an object can
    > be addressed in a Cheetah template.

    But that mostly matters to programmers. If a non-programmer is
    reading/writing the template, then generally they care about
    what fields are available and various formatting options (such
    as defaults, case conversion, truncation etc). I think Smarty
    expresses that in a simpler way, but at the cost of not having
    methods etc.

    > But it's of course a neat idea to combine PHP and Python given
    > the overwhelming PHP predominance at ISPs.

    I was suprised at how well the XML-RPC worked between the two
    languages. I was even doing my state management and security
    in Python which PHP passed on to the browser as a cookie.

    It meant I could also do things like session timeouts in the
    Python. PHP was only used for display.

    Roger

    Roger Binns, Jul 9, 2004