Looking for a Ruby tutorial for Java programmer

Kevin

Hello everyone, I am new to here. I have been using Java for 5 years,
before that, did a few small projects in perl (web site, shopping cart,
things like that).

Now I wish to learn something new and decided I should pick up a new
language. I have looked around for sometime. Recently I read a basic
introduction on Python , it's a feature by feature comparison with
Java, and this writing style really got my attention and it helped my
understanding of the stuff in python. I also looked Groovy, pnut, but
I want to get to know Ruby a little bit before choosing one to
concentrate on. I am sure there are lots of excellent ruby tutorials,
Just curious if there is one specifically geared at java programmer. If
not, I will still study ruby using available tutorials.

Most of my works are of back end of commercial web sites, things like
database access, web services, networking, search engine, both Windows
and non windows platform. For projects in these fields, between ruby
and python, which one should I learn? I appreciate your information and
suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Lyndon Samson

[...]

Here's what I did.

I read picaxe I at a leisurly pace. As they introduced a new concept,
I added a similar example of its use to my learning.rb file. By the
end of the book that one file was pretty big.

I wrote some programs, starting of with reading a file and matching a
pattern against a line ( grep ), then moving onto more complex stuff
like reading a DBase file and an SMTP proxy for analysing email.

Writing code is the best way to learn, and lucky for us C/C++/Java
types Ruby isn't "Too Wierd" a language, not like them crazy style
languages like Haskell, Scheme and SmallTalk :)

Robert Klemme

Kevin said:
[...]

Well, you don't really expect someone here to suggest using Python, do
you? ;-)

Here are some links a quick Google search revealed:
http://onestepback.org/articles/usingruby/
http://renaud.waldura.com/doc/ruby/idioms.shtml
http://farm.tucows.com/blog/Languages/Java/_archives/2005/1/31/295142.html

Kind regards

robert

Kevin

That last qestion was indeed in the wrong place, I admit. :)
What I actually had in mind was to invite friends here to tell me the
strenghts of ruby in those fields (compared to python). But anyway, I
am now leaning towards picking ruby as my next language.

Francis Hwang

This probably isn't a tutorial, but once you're a little past the
tutorial stage, you might this blog entry of mine useful: It's a tour
of idiomatic Ruby from a Javaist's perspective.

http://fhwang.net/blog/40.html

http://fhwang.net/