    advanced features of the language and can serve as a (complete) reference.

    Thanks in advance.

    David
    David, Apr 11, 2005

  2. David

    Eric Smith Guest

    David <> writes:
    > Can anybody recommend a good VHDL book? I am not for a book aimed at
    > beginners. I already have some experience with VHDL (and quite a bit
    > with Verilog). I read a beginner's VHDL book some years ago. I
    > recently dug it out and it does not satisfy (it is too simplistic and
    > incomplete). I'm looking for a book that will explain the details and
    > advanced features of the language and can serve as a (complete)
    > reference.

    Sounds like you should just get IEEE 1076-2001, which is available in
    PDF or dead tree form. It costs $90 if you're an IEEE member, or a
    little more if you're not.
    Eric Smith, Apr 11, 2005

  3. Mike Treseler, Apr 11, 2005
  4. David

    Pete Fraser Guest

    "Mike Treseler" <> wrote in message
    > David wrote:
    >>
    >> Can anybody recommend a good VHDL book?

    > http://www.google.com/search?q= ISBN 1558606912
    >
    > -- Mike Treseler

    The FAQ seems to suggest that's Ashenden, but my copy
    and Amazon agree it's 1558606742. Did you mean Ashenden?
    Pete Fraser, Apr 12, 2005
  5. Mike Treseler, Apr 12, 2005
  6. David

    Bert Cuzeau Guest

    Eric Smith wrote:

    > Sounds like you should just get IEEE 1076-2001, which is available in
    > PDF or dead tree form. It costs $90 if you're an IEEE member, or a
    > little more if you're not.

    Sorry, I would certainly NOT recommend the LRM except if you intend
    to write a VHDL parser or simulator or synthesis tool etc...

    For years, even experts did fight about the correct interpretation
    of some sentences... And it certainly didn't get famous for its numerous
    examples. Good training material for a lawyer maybe ;-)

    VHDL isn't that complex, but you couldn't tell by reading this. And if
    you're looking for useful advanced features, you couldn't tell either.
    Better simply make a donation to IEEE (if you think the money will go
    where it should).

    Some books from Ben Cohen are good, but I would definitely recommend
    Janick's last edition of "Writing testbenches" including ABV.
    The most advanced features of VHDL have chances to be useable only
    in a Verification/Behavioral modeling context imo. And that's were
    the challenges are today.
    This book is probably not for newbies but if I'd keep only
    one book it would be this one.

    Bert Cuzeau
    Bert Cuzeau, Apr 12, 2005
  7. Mike Treseler wrote:
    > Pete Fraser wrote:
    >
    >> The FAQ seems to suggest that's Ashenden, but my copy
    >> and Amazon agree it's 1558606742. Did you mean Ashenden?

    > Yes, sorry, that's
    > http://www.google.com/search?q= ISBN 1558606742

    I also have Ashenden's book (1st edition) and consider it a good choice
    for learning. The only problem is that, IMHO, the index is not very
    complete so I find it difficult to use as a reference book. I don't know
    if the index is improved in the 2nd edition.
    Tim Hubberstey, Apr 14, 2005