Looking for a way to measure "cross-processor lock contention"?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Robert Livermore, Aug 19, 2005.

  1. Hi

    I have been tasked with job to optimize a web service application. The
    application contains a dictionary of strongly referenced objects. i.e.
    (internal static System.Collections.Specialized.StringDictionary myDic = new
    (System.Collections.Specialized.StringDictionary);) The computer hosting the
    web services is a running Window 2003 Web Edition. It has NUMA architecture
    with 4 physical CPUs with 2Meg L2 cache (8 if hyperthreading is on) and 2 Gig
    RAM. IIS 6.0 is installed in worker process isolation mode.

    The concern is the strongly referenced objects will be induce
    cross-processor lock contention on the StringDictionary. The question is how
    much? I would like to make 2 comparisons.
    Set the processModel's maxWorkerThreads and maxIOThreads to 100 for each test.
    Test 1
    One worker process.
    Test 2
    4 worker processes
    SMPAffinitized = true.
    From IIS documentation this should assign 1 CPU to each worker process in
    the web garden. In effect this becomes 4 SMP computers on one computer. Hence
    remove any "cross-processor lock contention".

    What performance counter or tool should I use to monitor the
    "cross-processor lock contention"?
    Does hyper threading affect "cross-processor lock contention"?
    --
    Robert Livermore B.Sc. MCSE+I MCSD MCDBA

    Cetaris
    www.cetaris.com

    Robert Livermore, Aug 19, 2005