    If you think it's something that's been done to death, let me know as well.

    regards
    Ben

    lamhang, Jan 23, 2004

  2. lamhang

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 01:21:08 -0000, "lamhang" <>
    wrote:

    >I am looking for a challenging/development project for my masters course.

    Content management. Huge field at the moment. How can you describe "a
    web page" in a sufficiently generic manner that an automatic layout
    engine can generate either a page or an XSLT stylesheet to generate a
    page. The input description should say "Menu bar goes on the left,
    narrow callou box on the right" or similar, and the "engine" should be
    able to resolve this for situations where a rigid layout won't fit
    (handheld devices, voice, in-car). Suppose you can't lay out the web
    page you want - how can this automatically degrade to what you can
    offer ?

    Syndication - RSS et al. LiveJournal has absorbed a huge portion of
    the personal blogging market because it has a privacy model that few
    other systems (like usenet) can offer. How could features of this be
    applied to other syndication scenarios ?

    Ontologies - Take a look at Protege (Stanford) and the various
    projects and opportunities around that.

    Andy Dingley, Jan 23, 2004

  3. lamhang

    Ed Beroset Guest

    lamhang wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am looking for a challenging/development project for my masters course.
    > Something with XML, like building tools/comms/data interchanges between
    > systems say between computers/databases etc.
    >
    > If anyone is looking to something along those lines in a company or as a
    > research item, I'd like to hear.
    >
    > If you think it's something that's been done to death, let me know as well.

    Here are some ideas:

    1. build a tool set of XSL transforms which convert numerical data into
    various graphical representations using SVG
    2. write a tool or tools to allow non-technical people to create XSL
    transforms of arbitrary XML data into useful HTML
    3. create a model of the economics of transporting XML data via various
    different communications media. The model should include some notion of
    the tradeoff between the value human-readable tag names versus terse
    tags which might shorten communications packets.
    4. implement an XSLT engine on an 8-bit embedded microprocessor of your
    choice.
    5. write a tool that reads an RSS news feed and supplements it with an
    artificial-intelligence derived XML-tagged and cross-referenced synopsis
    of news items. E.g. have it create categories of news items like "space
    exploration" or "cricket" based on the content of the news items.

    Hope that helps.

    Ed

    Ed Beroset, Jan 23, 2004
  4. lamhang

    Andrew-J2000 Guest

    lamhang wrote:
    > *Hi there,
    >
    > I am looking for a challenging/development project for my master
    > course.
    > Something with XML, like building tools/comms/data interchange
    > between
    > systems say between computers/databases etc.
    >
    > If anyone is looking to something along those lines in a company o
    > as a
    > research item, I'd like to hear.
    >
    > If you think it's something that's been done to death, let me know a
    > well.
    >
    > regards
    > Ben *

    Firstly what benefits do you wish to acheive using an XML based syste
    rather than a RDBMS one? First think of a unique idea, we don't want t
    reinvent the wheel unless we have a unique angle, do we?

    > d> create a model of the economics of transporting XML data via variou
    > different communications media. The model should include some notio
    > of the tradeoff between the value human-readable tag names versu
    > terse tags which might shorten communications packets.

    Ed, I'm not quite sure what you mean by the above? Care to elaborate

    Andrew-J200

    Andrew-J2000, Jan 23, 2004
  5. lamhang

    lamhang Guest

    Hi again,
    I like to say thank you for your responses to my original post. Lots of good
    ideas there too.
    I am thinking of working with mobile/pda's to grab data from the server with
    as little data exchange as possible (discussed in #3 of Ed' post). Wrt dbs
    and xmldbs, i was thinking of downloading relevant parts of a database
    (views) as xml(db)s and be able to modify and resend the information back to
    the server.

    A tool for building numerical data into various graphical representation
    using svg is interesting too.
    Content management is another interesting kettle of fish too.

    thanks again,
    Ben

    lamhang, Jan 24, 2004
  6. Write good xml-diff - diff between 2 xml documents which produces diff as
    xml too. Diff must be short and allow options for creating context
    sensitive diff which can be used by something like xml-patch.
    So far there is no good tool available.

    --MG

    XMLStarlet Command Line XML/XSLT Toolkit
    Open Source Freeware Tool
    Visit: http://xmlstar.sourceforge.net/

    Mikhail Grouchinsky, Jan 24, 2004
  7. lamhang

    Ed Beroset Guest

    Andrew-J2000 wrote:

    >>d> create a model of the economics of transporting XML data via various
    >>different communications media. The model should include some notion
    >>of the tradeoff between the value human-readable tag names versus
    >>terse tags which might shorten communications packets.

    > Ed, I'm not quite sure what you mean by the above? Care to elaborate?

    Sure. The question that occasionally comes up here is about how to
    reduce the size of XML so that the transportation of the data over a
    network is quicker or cheaper. This is a legitimate engineering
    concern, and one obvious way (among many) to do it is to reduce the tag
    lengths. For example:

    <BookCitation>
    <AuthorName>
    <Surname>Smith</Surname>
    <FirstName>John</FirstName>
    </AuthorName>
    <BookTitle>Using XML</BookTitle>
    </BookCitation>

    I expect that it's probably quite clear from the tag names what this is
    all about, and that clarity is worth something. However, the XML could
    be compressed into something like this:

    The overhead due to XML tag lengths has been reduced, and this would
    certainly reduce the length of the transmission over, say, a wireless
    network, but we have all but destroyed the meaning of the tags.

    The question, then, is "Under what circumstances and conditions is it
    worthwhile to perform this type of tag compression?"

    Ed

    Ed Beroset, Jan 25, 2004
  8. lamhang

    Ed Beroset Guest

    Mikhail Grouchinsky wrote:
    > Write good xml-diff - diff between 2 xml documents which produces diff as
    > xml too. Diff must be short and allow options for creating context
    > sensitive diff which can be used by something like xml-patch.
    > So far there is no good tool available.

    Adrian Mouat, the author of diffxml did his dissertation on exactly this
    topic. I haven't tried the tool, but it can be found at
    http://diffxml.sourceforge.net/

    Have you tried it? If so, what inadequacies did you find? Perhaps it
    can be fixed.

    Ed

    Ed Beroset, Jan 25, 2004