looking for advice how to get IE8 quite easy

Jan Clemens Faerber

now there have been so much information
that the heaven on earth always falls back
due to IE8.
Is it compulsary to check a page with this?
YES, OF COURSE!

ok - so - let me know what is quite simple
with win7-64bit

virtual box? or a second OS user?
or a program with more browsers?
10 yrs ago i asked it already
but time goes on - can't be a mistake to ask again

Jukka K. Korpela

ok - so - let me know what is quite simple [way to get IE 8]
with win7-64bit

In IE 11, press the F12 key, click on the Emulation button (looks like a
desktop computer) or type Ctrl 8, then select 8 from the "Document mode"
dropdown.

It's just emulation of course, but should work well enough for practical
purposes.

Jan Clemens Faerber

In IE 11, press the F12 key, click on the Emulation button (looks like a
desktop computer) or type Ctrl 8, then select 8 from the "Document mode"
dropdown.

It's just emulation of course, but should work well enough for practical
purposes.

Yucca

thank you a lot! now that was really easy :)

Jonathan N. Little

Ed said:
Jukka said:
ok - so - let me know what is quite simple [way to get IE 8]
with win7-64bit

In IE 11, press the F12 key, click on the Emulation button (looks like a
desktop computer) or type Ctrl 8, then select 8 from the "Document mode"
dropdown.

It's just emulation of course, but should work well enough for practical
purposes.

Interesting. The choices are:

Edge (default), 10, 9, 8, 7 and 5. No six.
Shoot they must have added 5 with the IE11 upgraded, I hadn't noticed it
before. IE5 was hell, but IE 6 was a "special" hell...of course until
legacy means IE10 web authoring will be a PITA.

Jukka K. Korpela

Shoot they must have added 5 with the IE11 upgraded, I hadn't noticed it
before. IE5 was hell, but IE 6 was a "special" hell...of course until
legacy means IE10 web authoring will be a PITA.

Some preview versions of IE 11 lacked simulation of old versions, and
this caused a lot of frustration and complaints, and the released IE 11
luckily has rather good simulation.

Version 5 is there because it is what later versions of IE have
simulated, more or less, in Quirks Mode. IE 10 however changed the rules
of the game:

"In IE 10, the old IE Quirks Mode is now called IE 5 Quirks Mode.
Another Quirks Mode has been added, under the plain name Quirks Mode or
the name HTML5 Quirks Mode, which better resembles the Quirks Modes of
other browsers. It is briefly described in the Microsoft document HTML5
quirks mode. The mode is presumably meant to reflect what is defined as
Quirks Mode in “HTML5â€, which means in practice things like HTML5 CR
(which has notes about Quirks Mode scattered around) and Quirks Mode
Living Standard and some other specification-like documents.

The bad news to people maintaining legacy pages is that lack of DOCTYPE
triggers this new Quirks Mode on IE 10. This means that things may go
badly wrong on very old-style pages that relied on old quirks and
IE-specific features (like the expression() construct in CSS). The way
to get the old IE Quirks Mode is to use the following tag:

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/quirks-mode.html

So if your page lacks <!doctype html> or one of the few other doctype
strings that trigger Standards Mode, you will get "classic" IE Quirks
Mode on IE up to IE 9; the new, differently quirky HTML5 Quirks Mode on
IE 10 and newer; and possibly standards mode in some future browsers.
The mode difference may mean nothing, or it may essentially change
(e.g., break) the layout; or something between the extremes.

The morale is that new pages should be written to work in standards
mode. It is less clear what should be done with old pages. As a basic
rule, however, we can say: if it works, don't fix it.

BootNic

http://www.modern.ie/en-us/f12

¦ Can I use document modes instead of testing new sites in
¦ older versions of IE?

¦ Document Mode is only an approximation to the actual
¦ behavior of older versions of Internet Explorer, and should
¦ not be used to determine whether a site works properly in an
¦ older browser. Instead, developers should test with actual
¦ copies of the browsers they wish to support. Microsoft makes
¦ free virtual machine images available across platforms and
¦ can be downloaded at Virtual Machine Downloads
thank you a lot! now that was really easy :)

--
BootNic Fri Jan 24, 2014 03:45 pm
The human mind treats a new idea the same way the body treats a strange

Jan Clemens Faerber

ok - so - let me know what is quite simple [way to get IE 8]
with win7-64bit
In IE 11, press the F12 key, click on the Emulation button (looks like a
desktop computer) or type Ctrl 8, then select 8 from the "Document mode"
dropdown.

It's just emulation of course, but should work well enough for practical
purposes.

Yucca

yesterday night walking to the swimming hall...
i had this other idea: i post it here to contribute some (i hope) useful:

i am using win7 - it's professional - yes, i bought it because
some additional features - at least windows virtual PC with XP mode is working

i installed that now again because after the service last year -
well, the back-up DVD was not doable - or i don't know where to press :)

so I have now a Windows XP on my desktop
with Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.5512.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234

i will check if i can install a second XP mode with IE 8
google says IE 9 is not available on windows XP

Jan Clemens Faerber

ok - so - let me know what is quite simple [way to get IE 8]
with win7-64bit

In IE 11, press the F12 key, click on the Emulation button (looks like a
desktop computer) or type Ctrl 8, then select 8 from the "Document mode"
dropdown.
It's just emulation of course, but should work well enough for practical
purposes.

i will check if i can install a second XP mode with IE 8
google says IE 9 is not available on windows XP

i will have a little chop at mcdonald's now
i don't want to update from ie6 to ie8 because then i loose ie6

i installed the xp mode (en version) with my german keyboard
and in the settings of another virtual pc i used again
the "virtual xp mode.vhd" file - when i came to the login
my password was not recognized - i have to change 'z' with 'y'
during typing - a familiar problem when saving changes in the BIOS
you have to confirm with 'Y' and on the german keyboard it's a 'Z'

maybe i have to copy the .vhd file or else i will get the same update
on both virtual pcs when i work with only one file used two times
in two different settings of two virtual pcs -