    methods and functions and operators it pops up.

    Thanks,
    Terrence
    metaperl, Aug 8, 2006

  2. metaperl

    Chris Brat Guest

    I dont know if it will meet all your needs but SPE (Stani's Python
    Editor) is quite cool - has code completion.

    http://pythonide.stani.be

    Chris Brat, Aug 8, 2006

  3. I can attest to PyDev being an excellent extension to Eclipse. But
    Eclipse kind of requires a heavy machine to run, being a gigantic
    Java program.

    Michiel

    Op 8-aug-2006, om 15:36 heeft Fabio Zadrozny het volgende geschreven:

    Michiel Sikma, Aug 8, 2006
  4. metaperl

    taleinat Guest

    metaperl <metaperl <at> gmail.com> writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like an IDE that shows me all methods and functions I can call
    > on a particular data item. For instance, iter() can be called on any
    > sequence, but it is not a method.
    >
    > Nonetheless, I would like for something to show me every thing that I
    > can call on a particular data item.

    Most built-in functions which can be called on objects simply call the objects'
    respective __*__ method. But this isn't always true (as for iter()); it is an
    interesting idea for code completion. I haven't seen any Python IDE do this, but
    if you can convince me it's worth the effort, maybe that will change :)

    As for other functions (not built-in), since there is no way in Python for a
    function to declare a required type or interface for an argument, this seems
    quite impossible.

    Question: There are several built-in functions which can be called on any
    object, such as str(), repr(), dir(), id() and type() - would you really want to
    see all of those every time? I feel it would just clutter the completion list.

    As an implementation issue, silly programmers overriding built-in functions by
    accident would have to be taken into account...

    > This includes % after a string.

    But only if there are conversion specifiers in the string, right? ;) Seriously
    though, isn't it much, much simpler to just hit shift+5? I feel this would
    needlessly clutter the list of completions. Why do you want this?

    > I would also like browseable help with good examples on whatever
    > methods and functions and operators it pops up.

    Such help can easily be found in the Pydocs under "Built-in Functions". Under
    Windows, this is a .chm help file which is browseable. Also, many IDEs show
    calltips for functions, showing the arguments and/or docstring.

    > Thanks,
    > Terrence

    - Tal Einat
    reduce(lambda m,x:[m+s[-1] for i,s in enumerate(sorted(m))],
    [[chr(154-ord(c)) for c in '.&-&,l.Z95193+179-']]*18)[3]
    taleinat, Aug 8, 2006
  5. metaperl

    Miki Guest

    Hello Terrence,

    > I would like an IDE that shows me all methods and functions I can call
    > on a particular data item. For instance, iter() can be called on any
    > sequence, but it is not a method.
    >
    > Nonetheless, I would like for something to show me every thing that I
    > can call on a particular data item.
    >
    > This includes % after a string.
    >
    > I would also like browseable help with good examples on whatever
    > methods and functions and operators it pops up.

    The IDLE that will come (soon) with Python 2.5 with have some
    intellisense. Not all that you requested but some of it.

    HTH,
    Miki
    http://pythonwise.blogspot.com/
    Miki, Aug 8, 2006
  6. You don't say what platform you are using.

    The PythonWin IDE has really good code completion. Not all that you
    mention, but certainly methods etc. If you are on nix, then Komodo has
    it; not free, but only $30 for Komodo personal.

    rd
    BartlebyScrivener, Aug 8, 2006
  7. The best code completion you can get for Python is delivered by WingIDE:

    http://wingware.com/

    I have seen, PyDev, Kommodo, Spe and when it comes to code completion for
    Python than nothing beats WingIDE. Maybe anyone can proof the contrary.

    WingIDE is not for free though (Personal: 35 USD upto Profession: 180 USD)
    - you can download a fully fuctional version and prolong it a few times...
    try it out, if you are willing to pay a few bucks.

    Cheers,
    Marco
    Marco Aschwanden, Aug 9, 2006
  8. metaperl

    taleinat Guest

    Miki <miki.tebeka <at> gmail.com> writes:

    > The IDLE that will come (soon) with Python 2.5 with have some
    > intellisense. Not all that you requested but some of it.

    On the same note, IDLE's completion module has received some serious upgrades
    recently (such as dictionary key completion and case-insensitive completion),
    but these haven't made it into the main Python trunk yet. I maintain a stable
    version of IDLE with many new features, including the much-improved completion,
    which can be found at:

    http://www.mashebali.com/?Tal_Einat's_IDLE

    Feel free to download, comment, and report bugs :)

    - Tal
    taleinat, Aug 9, 2006
  9. metaperl

    kilnhead Guest

    I run PyDev and Eclipse on a 800mhz Celeron without any trouble. Just a
    bit slow.

    kilnhead, Aug 10, 2006