looking for an open source java tool to calculate no of lines added removed.

Bhanu

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for an open source java tool to calculate no of lines
added removed. If you know some tool like that please let me know. It
would be of great help.

Thanks,
Bhanu.

Andrew Thompson

Bhanu wrote:
I am looking for an open source ..

What about free?
" " freely distributable?
" " free to distribute variants?

An 'open source' code library might also be
any, all, or none, of the above things.
..java tool to calculate no of lines
This is commonly called a 'diff'. This search might help,
<http://www.google.com/search?q=java+diff>

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Lew

Andrew said:
Bhanu wrote:
..

What about free?
" " freely distributable?
" " free to distribute variants?

An 'open source' code library might also be
any, all, or none, of the above things.

..
This is commonly called a 'diff'. This search might help,
<http://www.google.com/search?q=java+diff>

Combined with a version-control system like CVS or Subversion (for which there
are Java clients), and the version-control systems themselves include or wrap
the 'diff' command, you can get very sophisticated tracking of changes to text
files.

BTW, if this is to serve some sort of human-factor performance metric for,
say, source-code development, I recommend:

Add the absolute value of lines added to the absolute value of lines removed
to the absolute value of lines altered each day to get a programmer's
productivity for that day. Count comment lines at 125-150%. Count one line
of whitespace as one line, two consecutive lines or more of whitespace as 1.5
lines. Count lines only for source files that have been formatted (indented)
to the organizational standard. Credit the negative of a programmer's total
for the day if that day's build won't build because of the developer's check-in.

Even all that won't measure certain important things, but it would give a
rough estimate of raw productivity.

If you want a less valuable metric, count all lines equally, but do
standardize the whitespace first. This should make it easier to use the raw
diff numbers of added, deleted and altered in a scripted way.

Brandon McCombs

Bhanu said:
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for an open source java tool to calculate no of lines
added removed. If you know some tool like that please let me know. It
would be of great help.

Thanks,
Bhanu.

I use sloccount. It is open source and free but it is only for Linux. It
can count the # of lines for many different languages (even if the files
are in the same directory) and it provides the breakdown of the code
count by language as well as an overall count. Supposedly it does not
include commented lines or blank lines but I haven't verified that.

Guest

Andrew said:
Bhanu wrote:
..

What about free?
" " freely distributable?
" " free to distribute variants?

An 'open source' code library might also be
any, all, or none, of the above things.

There is a definition of open source by OSI - I would
say that the last two of your characteristics are included
in the open source definition.

(http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd item 1 and 3)

Arne

Lew

Brandon said:
I use sloccount. It is open source and free but it is only for Linux. It
can count the # of lines for many different languages (even if the files
are in the same directory) and it provides the breakdown of the code
count by language as well as an overall count. Supposedly it does not
include commented lines or blank lines but I haven't verified that.

If you use that as a performance metric for team members, it won't encourage
them to write comments or use whitespace to make their code more readable.

Comment lines should be counted. Maybe count them double when they're revised.