Looking for ASP-based (HTML) page editor

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by David Winter, Jul 9, 2004.

  1. David Winter

    David Winter Guest

    I'm not a developer myself, but I am looking for something that maybe
    one of you guys

    - has done
    - knows about
    - would like to do - yes, I have a small budget for this. :)

    The basic idea: A browser-based editor for *static* HTML pages, like
    this:

    1) When the script is first called, it will display a list of editable
    (= HTML) files in a given directory.

    2) The selected page is parsed by the script. It will look for
    sections marked in a Dreamweaver-like comment style:
    <!-- #BeginEditable "content" -->
    CONTENT
    <!-- #EndEditable -->

    3) Contents of these sections are parsed and converted using a list of
    RegEx expressions that translate HTML entities and markup into a more
    readable, Wiki/Textile style format. E.g., <h1>foo</h1> would become
    ==foo== (see http://textism.com/tools/textile/ for a nice variation of
    the same theme).

    4) These "cleaned" content sections are presented as <textarea> fields
    in a form, where a person who knows nothing about HTML can edit them.

    5) After editing, the user can send the form back to the script, where
    the modified sections are translated back into HTML using a
    complementary list of expressions, replacing the previous content.

    The whole thing should also have authorization (password protection
    and/or user accounts) and maybe some kind of rollback feature.

    I know that I could probably make a hundred CMS do this, but I want
    something very simple and straightforward with just these features; no
    database backend etc.

    Does an ASP solution like this exist, maybe in someone's "unreleased
    masterworks" drawer? :)

    TIA.

    David Winter, Jul 9, 2004

  2. David Winter

    Steven Burn Guest

    "David Winter" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not a developer myself, but I am looking for something that maybe
    > one of you guys
    >
    > - has done
    > - knows about
    > - would like to do - yes, I have a small budget for this. :)

    </snip>

    www.rentacoder.com (don't use it myself, but quite a few other dev's do)

    <snip>
    > The basic idea: A browser-based editor for *static* HTML pages, like
    > this:
    >
    > 1) When the script is first called, it will display a list of editable
    > (= HTML) files in a given directory.

    </snip>

    You'd need FSO (FileSystemObject) for this.... (there's probably a few other
    ways but, FSO would be my personal choice)

    <snip>
    > 2) The selected page is parsed by the script. It will look for
    > sections marked in a Dreamweaver-like comment style:
    > <!-- #BeginEditable "content" -->
    > CONTENT
    > <!-- #EndEditable -->
    >
    > 3) Contents of these sections are parsed and converted using a list of
    > RegEx expressions that translate HTML entities and markup into a more
    > readable, Wiki/Textile style format. E.g., <h1>foo</h1> would become
    > ==foo== (see http://textism.com/tools/textile/ for a nice variation of
    > the same theme).
    >
    > 4) These "cleaned" content sections are presented as <textarea> fields
    > in a form, where a person who knows nothing about HTML can edit them.
    >
    > 5) After editing, the user can send the form back to the script, where
    > the modified sections are translated back into HTML using a
    > complementary list of expressions, replacing the previous content.

    </snip>

    I don't get it.....

    Your obviously going to have to do part of the pages manually anyway as
    you'll need to insert the markers, so, why not just use a web-based wysiwyg
    editor?. Not only will it save a heck of alot of hassle, it will also save
    alot of unnecessary work (and I'm sure the users themselves would prefer
    such).

    <snip>
    > The whole thing should also have authorization (password protection
    > and/or user accounts) and maybe some kind of rollback feature.

    </snip>

    PP and UA are simple enough, as is the rollback.... (if by "rollback" you
    mean, backing up the file's before they are opened/edited?)

    <snip>
    > I know that I could probably make a hundred CMS do this, but I want
    > something very simple and straightforward with just these features; no
    > database backend etc.

    </snip>

    Why a hundred CMS?. All you'd need is one CMS solution that supports
    multiple users.

    <snip>
    > Does an ASP solution like this exist, maybe in someone's "unreleased
    > masterworks" drawer? :)

    </snip>

    Not aware of any that currently exist (atleast, not publicly anyway, there's
    probably a few dev's around that have developed something similar and just
    not released it).

    Out of interest, why do the pages need to be "static HTML"?

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Jul 9, 2004

  3. David Winter

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    Check ASPIN.COM for HTML Editor components. There are dozens.
    Newsletter or mail managers also do this, maybe even more what you're
    looking for.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jul 10, 2004