Looking for best practices for Java project documentation

Discussion in 'Java' started by Juergen, Jan 18, 2005.

  1. Juergen

    Juergen Guest

    Hi all!

    Documentation for Java projects consists of javadoc, hand written text
    articles, drawings and UML diagrams.

    Finally all this should be put together into a nicely browseable
    website. For suit-wearing people there should also be a nice paper
    output of the text articles.

    The latter can be done by writing the text articles in docbook (and
    they don't even need to be transformed into html, as Mozilla's and IE's
    built-in stylesheet transformation engine does this very nicely) and
    have them transformed into RTF.

    So I have a folder structure

    project
    |----- docs
    |--------- apidocs

    Now I wonder, are there best practices to do all this efficiently? Are
    there tools to automate generating the project documenation (on a
    higher level than javadoc)?

    How could I get a menu structure over the docs, like the famous

    You are here: myproject > apidocs
    Everything should be offline browseable.

    ----
    Juergen
    Juergen, Jan 18, 2005

  2. Juergen

    Rogan Dawes Guest

    Juergen wrote:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > Documentation for Java projects consists of javadoc, hand written text
    > articles, drawings and UML diagrams.
    >
    > Finally all this should be put together into a nicely browseable
    > website. For suit-wearing people there should also be a nice paper
    > output of the text articles.
    >
    > The latter can be done by writing the text articles in docbook (and
    > they don't even need to be transformed into html, as Mozilla's and IE's
    > built-in stylesheet transformation engine does this very nicely) and
    > have them transformed into RTF.
    >
    > So I have a folder structure
    >
    > project
    > |----- docs
    > |--------- apidocs
    >

    > Now I wonder, are there best practices to do all this efficiently? Are
    > there tools to automate generating the project documenation (on a
    > higher level than javadoc)?
    >
    > How could I get a menu structure over the docs, like the famous
    >
    > You are here: myproject > apidocs
    > Everything should be offline browseable.
    >
    > ----
    > Juergen

    Maybe take a look at Maven?

    Rogan

    --
    Rogan Dawes

    *ALL* messages to will be dropped, and added
    to my blacklist. Please respond to "nntp AT dawes DOT za DOT net"
    Rogan Dawes, Jan 18, 2005

  3. Juergen

    Juergen Guest

    Juergen, Jan 20, 2005