Looking for co-op, internship or volunteer java programmer.

Discussion in 'Java' started by Software Consultant, Nov 18, 2004.

  1. Are you looking for opportunity to gain professional experience in the
    software development field? Do you have a passion for coding? Are
    you a quick learner?

    We are looking for talented java developers to participate in our
    wireless project. As the team lead, I will provide the architecture
    and design. You will be responsible to build your assigned module,
    based on your knowledge. We will guide you and help you to implement
    your parts. Flexible hours and you can work from home. We do
    encourage all developers to attend progress meeting.

    As a small company based in Toronto since 2002, we want you to grow
    with us. We have the concept and design to work toward a complete
    end-to-end wireless solution. And you should have the follow skills
    to qualify building our modules.

    Should know:
    Java, UML, SQL, XML, Javascript

    Nice to know:
    WAP, HTTPS, Mailet, Servlet, Log4J, Tomcat, Ant, MySQL, Linux

    Please email resume to and we will
    contact qualified candidate for interview.

    Jimmy

    Software Consultant, Nov 18, 2004

  2. Software Consultant

    xarax Guest

    "Software Consultant" <> wrote in message
    > Are you looking for opportunity to gain professional experience in the
    > software development field? Do you have a passion for coding? Are
    > you a quick learner?
    >
    > We are looking for talented java developers to participate in our
    > wireless project. As the team lead, I will provide the architecture
    > and design. You will be responsible to build your assigned module,
    > based on your knowledge. We will guide you and help you to implement
    > your parts. Flexible hours and you can work from home. We do
    > encourage all developers to attend progress meeting.
    >
    > As a small company based in Toronto since 2002, we want you to grow
    > with us. We have the concept and design to work toward a complete
    > end-to-end wireless solution. And you should have the follow skills
    > to qualify building our modules.
    >
    > Should know:
    > Java, UML, SQL, XML, Javascript
    >
    > Nice to know:
    > WAP, HTTPS, Mailet, Servlet, Log4J, Tomcat, Ant, MySQL, Linux

    /snip/

    Let me get this straight. You want someone to donate
    their skills (listed above) to benefit your company?

    xarax, Nov 18, 2004

  3. Software Consultant

    Chris Smith Guest

    xarax <> wrote:
    > Let me get this straight. You want someone to donate
    > their skills (listed above) to benefit your company?

    The part that was most amusing to me was that, after all this, he asked
    for resumes to prove qualifications, and said he'd contact people to
    interview them. Ha!

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Nov 18, 2004
  4. Software Consultant

    Rhino Guest

    "Chris Smith" <> wrote in message
    > xarax <> wrote:
    > > Let me get this straight. You want someone to donate
    > > their skills (listed above) to benefit your company?

    > The part that was most amusing to me was that, after all this, he asked
    > for resumes to prove qualifications, and said he'd contact people to
    > interview them. Ha!

    There are some old sayings that come to mind when I read this 'ad':

    1. "A workman is worthy of his hire."

    2. "You get what you pay for."

    If anyone actually offers to work free for this guy, I'd add one more:

    "There's a sucker born every minute."

    Rhino

    Rhino, Nov 18, 2004
  5. "xarax" <> wrote in message
    > "Software Consultant" <> wrote in message
    > > Are you looking for opportunity to gain professional experience in the
    > > software development field? Do you have a passion for coding? Are
    > > you a quick learner?
    > >
    > > We are looking for talented java developers to participate in our
    > > wireless project. ...

    > Let me get this straight. You want someone to donate
    > their skills (listed above) to benefit your company?

    When I saw the topic I thought someone was looking for a project
    to join. Imagine my disappointment.

    Larry Barowski, Nov 18, 2004
  6. In article <L40nd.28476$>,
    "Rhino" <> wrote:

    > "Chris Smith" <> wrote in message
    > > xarax <> wrote:
    > > > Let me get this straight. You want someone to donate
    > > > their skills (listed above) to benefit your company?

    > > The part that was most amusing to me was that, after all this, he asked
    > > for resumes to prove qualifications, and said he'd contact people to
    > > interview them. Ha!
    > >

    > There are some old sayings that come to mind when I read this 'ad':
    >
    > 1. "A workman is worthy of his hire."
    >
    > 2. "You get what you pay for."

    Clients of mine have occasionally brought in summer interns for rock
    bottom wages. The pay was damn close to nothing. On occasion, we have
    offered starbucks wages, because that was what we had left in the
    budget. Even $16 an hour for a ten week gig only brings you to $6400 -
    chump change for industry, and sometimes what we have left to offer.

    Will you get the best for this kind of money? Sometimes, if the
    experience is good and the project interesting. Other times, you need
    to offer real money to get good people.

    These are essentially 10 week job interviews. They do not pay that
    well, because we expect to burn a lot of our own developer hours keeping
    the interns busy, and looking over what they do.

    That said, real negotiating starts somewhere near the end of the gig, if
    we want them back. After all, the primary goal of a student must be to
    finish the degree and learn the material, not a summer job. On exit,
    though, priorities change, and so does what we need to pay to get them.

    Scott

    Scott Ellsworth, Nov 20, 2004
  7. Thank you for everyone's input.

    Let me make this clear. There is a great concept that I've came up
    with, but I can't afford to pay full salary for programmer to build
    this. At the same time, I do hope to find the right people to work
    with and have a passion for design & coding. Doesn't have to be
    experience but I don't wanna teach everything from scratch either.

    When I first started to work in this field, I work for a place that
    without pay, just free lunch that's it. But with this on my resume,
    that's how my career starts.

    Jimmy

    Software Consultant, Nov 22, 2004
  8. Software Consultant

    > Thank you for everyone's input.
    >
    > Let me make this clear. There is a great concept that I've came up
    > with, but I can't afford to pay full salary for programmer to build
    > this. At the same time, I do hope to find the right people to work
    > with and have a passion for design & coding. Doesn't have to be
    > experience but I don't wanna teach everything from scratch either.
    >
    > When I first started to work in this field, I work for a place that
    > without pay, just free lunch that's it. But with this on my resume,
    > that's how my career starts.

    /snip/

    Then offer some equity. You don't want newbie programmers
    and experienced professionals need compensation. If you
    cannot pay money, then offer a piece of the action.

    xarax, Nov 22, 2004
  9. Software Consultant

    Tim Ward Guest

    > Thank you for everyone's input.
    >
    > Let me make this clear. There is a great concept that I've came up
    > with, but I can't afford to pay full salary for programmer to build
    > this.

    Oh, but there are just *so* *many* of these around at any one time.

    How can the programmer judge which are likely to succeed and which are
    therefore worth working on?

    Well, the average programmer is not that well up in business expertise, so
    is well advised to look at decisions made by those who are. This means that
    the "great concepts" that are more likely to succeed, and thus a better bet
    to work for, are going to be the ones that have a plausible business plan
    which has been backed by professionals, ie a bank loan or venture capital.

    So, in simple terms, a "great concept" that might actually be going
    somewhere is one where the programmer gets paid.

    --
    Tim Ward

    Tim Ward, Nov 23, 2004
  10. Software Consultant

    xarax Guest

    "Tim Ward" <> wrote in message
    > "Software Consultant" <> wrote in message
    > > Thank you for everyone's input.
    > >
    > > Let me make this clear. There is a great concept that I've came up
    > > with, but I can't afford to pay full salary for programmer to build
    > > this.

    > Oh, but there are just *so* *many* of these around at any one time.
    >
    > How can the programmer judge which are likely to succeed and which are
    > therefore worth working on?
    >
    > Well, the average programmer is not that well up in business expertise, so
    > is well advised to look at decisions made by those who are. This means that
    > the "great concepts" that are more likely to succeed, and thus a better bet
    > to work for, are going to be the ones that have a plausible business plan
    > which has been backed by professionals, ie a bank loan or venture capital.
    >
    > So, in simple terms, a "great concept" that might actually be going
    > somewhere is one where the programmer gets paid.

    If the OP is very serious about his "great concept" and
    simply cannot afford to compensate programmers, then a
    reasonable alternative is to create an open source project
    where programmers can donate their efforts. The OP can
    control the direction of the development.

    sourceforge.net comes leaping to mind as a possible
    venue for hosting the project.

    xarax, Nov 23, 2004
  11. Software Consultant

    robinthomas

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Re: Looking for co-op, internship or volunteer java programmer

    Robin Thomas
    206 - 1652 Bathurst Street
    Toronto, ON, M5P 3J9
    Tel: 647 342 7841

    August 4, 2007

    Dear Sir/Madam:

    Attached is my resume for your review and consideration for an internship position as Java Developer.

    I have Master’s degree in Computer Application (MCA) and have 4+ years of experience in software development using Java and J2EE. My competencies include C, C++, Java, J2EE, Java Swing, Applets, JDBC, Servlets, RMI, JSP, Java Beans, EJB, HTML, DHTML, XML, Flash, Photoshop, Java Script, Red Hat Linux and SQL Server 7.0.

    I am very well organized, flexible and have good analytical and communication skills. I am energetic, self-motivated and easily adaptable to new environment. I work well with a team and enjoy taking individual responsibilities.

    I am very much interested in sharing my experience and knowledge and creating value to your organization as I grow with you. I am confident that my knowledge and abilities would be an asset to your organization. I would appreciate an opportunity to talk with you.

    Thank you.

    Sincerely,
    Robin Thomas

    Resume
    ======

    Robin Thomas
    206 - 1652 Bathurst Street
    Toronto, ON, M5P 3J9
    Tel: 647 342 7841
    Email:

    Objective:
    To obtain a creative and challenging position that facilitates valuable industry experience and improves software development and web design skills.

    Technical Skills:
    · Operating System: MS DOS, Windows, UNIX and Linux
    · RDBMS: MS Access, Oracle 8i and SQL Server 7.0
    · Programming languages: C, C++, Java and Visual Basic 6.0
    · Java Technologies: Packages and Interface, Exception handling, Threads, Event handling, AWT, Networking, Java Swing, Applets, JDBC, Servlets, RMI, JSP, Java Beans, EJB and J2EE
    · Web Technologies: HTML, DHTML, XML and ASP
    · Web Servers: Tomcat 4.0.2, Microsoft IIS and Java Web Server
    · Design Tools: Dream Viewer, CorelDraw, Flash and Photoshop
    · Scripting Languages: VB Script and Java Script
    · Other Tools: Seagate Crystal Report 7.0

    Professional Experience:
    January 2004 – March 2007
    Prisam InfoTech, Kottayam, Kerala, India
    Sr. Programmer

    · Developed a Library Management and Attendance Management System, Online Banking and Databases using Java & JSP
    · Provided technical support as part of a team in the implementation and architecture of J2EE systems.
    · Developed programs in Java using JDK 1.3 that included requirement analysis & design, development and testing, and the implementation of the final product
    · Designed various client and server side components using Java and JSP
    · Created and manipulated database program in SQL Server 7.0
    · Responsible for developing and maintaining all the Entity and Session beans
    · Designed and developed web interfaces using JSP, Servlets, JavaScript and JDBC to administer and manage users and clients
    · Participated in the development and deploying of various entity and session Enterprise Java Beans(EJB)

    January 2003 – December 2003
    Arcades Computers, Ettumanoor, Kottayam, Kerala, India.
    Sr. Instructor

    · Provided architecture and consulting guidance in the implementation of enterprise level Java solutions, including e-commerce solutions such as: RMI, EJB, Servlets, JDBC, Swing, JSP, Software Engineering Process, Object Oriented Analysis and Design.
    · Trained IT Students in Java from basic level to advanced
    · Oversaw training and certification process, developed courseware including labs and mentored on Java and JSP
    · Conducted interviews and provide hiring recommendations
    · Researched and developed courses covering new, leading edge Java technologies and implemented an on-line tutorial
    · Organized different IT fests and presented different national seminars and lectures at industry trade shows

    Education:

    2003: Master of Computer Application (MCA)
    Bharathiyar University, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, India.

    2000: Certificate Course in Computer Application
    Pental computers, Ettumanoor, Kottayam, Kerala, India .

    1996: Bachelor of Commerce (B. Comm.)
    Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, India.

    Membership:
    Member of the CSI (Computer Society of India) – Cochin Chapter

    Reference:
    References available upon request

    Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
    robinthomas, Aug 5, 2007