I have started a new page on one of
my (many) pet hates, noob posts that
start with..

"I have just started learning Java
and my Applet does not work.."

The (as yet unfinished page) is at..
http://www.physci.org/test/applet/applet.jsp

Trouble is, I think I have drifted off
on a tangent, and it does not get to the
point quickly enough*..

* It is already four 'page downs' on
an 800x600 screen, and that is without
filling out the content of the last three
sections already listed, let alone tying it all
together in a conclusion..

Any thoughts, comments, advice welcome.

[ BTW - please do not worry about spelling
and punctuation just yet - I'll get to that,
it's the content that is important now. ]

Thomas Weidenfeller

Andrew said:
I have started a new page on one of
my (many) pet hates, noob posts that
start with..

"I have just started learning Java
and my Applet does not work.."

The (as yet unfinished page) is at..
http://www.physci.org/test/applet/applet.jsp

Trouble is, I think I have drifted off
on a tangent, and it does not get to the
point quickly enough*..

What is the key message you want to communicate? Check one, and only on
:) and write a page for that one message only:

[_] Applets are bad (you can stop after this one sentence if this is
your key message ;-)).

[_] Why applets are bad.

[_] Good GUI design.

[_] GUI Architectures (separations of concern, MVC, PAC, whatever).

[_] Good OO design (buy a lot of web space first :).

[_] Development cycles.

[_] Problems with applet - browser interaction.

[_] Unit Testing

But you want to talk about all these issues? Ok, write a separate page
for each of these aspects. Or just point people to existing material on
the web.
[ BTW - please do not worry about spelling
and punctuation just yet - I'll get to that,
it's the content that is important now. ]

Please consider changing one thing in your style: Don't indent the first
line of a paragraph. IMHO it makes the page horrible to read. I yes, I
know ...

/Thomas

Mickey Segal

Andrew Thompson said:
Trouble is, I think I have drifted off on a tangent, and
it does not get to the point quickly enough..

If you want to influence whether people write apps or applets, a listing of
the advantages and disadvantages of each would be more helpful.

If you want to help people write apps or applets, a listing of the problems
of each with best workarounds and technologies would be most helpful.

Andrew Thompson

"Mickey Segal" ...
"Andrew Thompson" ...

If you want to influence whether people write apps or applets, a listing of
the advantages and disadvantages of each would be more helpful.

If you want to help people write apps or applets, a listing of the problems
of each with best workarounds and technologies would be most helpful.

Both Mickey and Thomas have given some
ideas that I can proceed with, thanks both.

Oh and Thomas, try it now..
[ I quite liked it, but everybody that has
commented on the indent (all both of
you) hated it. It's gone now (shrugs),
I make web pages for other people,
not myself. ]

Brian Pipa

I would change it to have a one paragraph summary at the very beginning
then say something like, "if you want to know all the gory details of
why I say this, read on" that way someone can read one paragraph to get
the gist of it and if they decide to keep reading, they can get ALL the
info. Maybe even make the "all the info" part into a separate page
altogether.

Brian
My Java freeware:
http://www.filenabber.com