Looking for comments on BlackAdder

dusty

Hi,
I recently switched from windoze to Linux (SuSE 9.1) and want to write
some applications (mostly for personal use). I have several years
experience writing with Borland Delphi and now I am looking at Python.
BlackAdder incorporates Python and QT into a application similar to
Delphi for writing GUI applications. (I looked at Kylix and didn't
like it)

I wonder if BlackAdder is worth the price or would I be just as well
off using Idle and QT Designer?

I would appreciate any comments on BlackAdder.

dusty

Marco Aschwanden

BlackAdder incorporates Python and QT into a application similar to
Delphi for writing GUI applications. I wonder if BlackAdder is worth the
price or would I be just as well
off using Idle and QT Designer?

No, it is not worth the price (I had it). It doesn't help you much. Take a
test ride and if YOU like it, than buy it.
I think, you will be better off with idle and qtdesigner (or I hear eric3
is nice).

Thomas Bartkus

dusty said:
Hi,
I recently switched from windoze to Linux (SuSE 9.1) and want to write
some applications (mostly for personal use). I have several years
experience writing with Borland Delphi and now I am looking at Python.
BlackAdder incorporates Python and QT into a application similar to
Delphi for writing GUI applications. (I looked at Kylix and didn't
like it)

I wonder if BlackAdder is worth the price or would I be just as well
off using Idle and QT Designer?

I would appreciate any comments on BlackAdder.

Can't comment on BlackAdder AND I'm still too green with Python to offer
"intelligent" opinions :)
BUT if you are looking for cross-platform development of GUI apps under
Python, do take a look at www.wxPython.org. At first glance, wxPython looks
like a cleaner API as well as better integration with Python.

Note that I said GUI apps - not GUI development!
That still remains elusive although I don't know why. The underlying
software infrastructure seems to make it eminently doable! If I weren't so
green with Linux and Python, I could see writing a GUI programming front end
myself!

It's a shame about Kylix! I had high hopes for that myself.
Thomas Bartkus

dusty

No, it is not worth the price (I had it). It doesn't help you much. Take a
test ride and if YOU like it, than buy it.
I think, you will be better off with idle and qtdesigner (or I hear eric3
is nice).

I believe you're correct Marco. I am now looking at eric3 and seems to
have the same features as BlackAdder and for free. Also the BlackAdder
demo is very annoying because it has a timer that shuts it down at
very short prescribed times, and to test anything you must repeatedly
restart it.

Neuruss

Have you tried PythonCard?
It lets you visually build user graphical user interfaces (based on
wxPython) in a Delphi-like way.
It is very, very easy to use and very simple.
The only downside is that, at least in its current version, there's no
data grid control implemented, so if you work with databases, this is
a little shortcoming.
For any other purpose, it's just great.
Give it a try ... http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net

And don't forget to watch the evolution of IronPython (which was
recently released as pre-alpha). It is a python implementation for the
..NET framework and Mono (linux), which is going to be the next big
thing in python.
I was playing with it, and even without a graphic builder, it's very
easy to come up with a nice GUI written by hand..

Jeff Wagner

Hi,
I recently switched from windoze to Linux (SuSE 9.1) and want to write
some applications (mostly for personal use). I have several years
experience writing with Borland Delphi and now I am looking at Python.
BlackAdder incorporates Python and QT into a application similar to
Delphi for writing GUI applications. (I looked at Kylix and didn't
like it)

I wonder if BlackAdder is worth the price or would I be just as well
off using Idle and QT Designer?

I would appreciate any comments on BlackAdder.

dusty

NO, Black Adder is NOT worth the price. I have it and there are numerous problems with that program.
Try either ecir3 or PythonCard.

Jeff

Cliff Wells

Hi,
I recently switched from windoze to Linux (SuSE 9.1) and want to write
some applications (mostly for personal use). I have several years
experience writing with Borland Delphi and now I am looking at Python.
BlackAdder incorporates Python and QT into a application similar to
Delphi for writing GUI applications. (I looked at Kylix and didn't
like it)

I wonder if BlackAdder is worth the price or would I be just as well
off using Idle and QT Designer?

I would appreciate any comments on BlackAdder.

I'm unfamiliar with BlackAdder, but you might take a look at Boa
Constructor. I believe that its interface is modeled after Delphi.

http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
Cliff