Looking for CORBA advice

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jeff Gaynor, May 7, 2004.

  1. Jeff Gaynor

    Jeff Gaynor Guest

    Hi,

    I am looking into using CORBA in a project. I would like some advice from
    those more experienced on the following. We will be running the server on
    several platforms and anticipate, unfortunately, the need for platform
    specific extensions, so the server can't be Java. :eek:(

    * What is a good freeware CORBA server? Is TAO the standard or is there a
    better one? What about Mico? CORBA 3.0 would be better, but these seem to
    have stopped at 2.3, right?

    * Are there any good Java/CORBA tutorials? I've found a boatload of them, so
    it would be good to know where to spend my time

    * What are good reference works?

    * How secure is CORBA and can this be increased?

    What we'll end up doing is running the servers and then accessing them via
    Java, so that we can, in effect, have both remote access and features not
    specific to Java available. Has anyone done this and are there caveats?

    Hope these questions make sense to someone else...

    Cheers,

    Jeff

    Jeff Gaynor, May 7, 2004

  2. Jeff Gaynor

    Guest

    Re freeware CORBA servers, I used omniORB (http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/) on
    a project a few years ago. It might not be up-to-date enough for your needs,
    however.

    In article <>, "Jeff
    Gaynor" <> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I am looking into using CORBA in a project. I would like some advice from
    >those more experienced on the following. We will be running the server on
    >several platforms and anticipate, unfortunately, the need for platform
    >specific extensions, so the server can't be Java. :eek:(
    >
    >* What is a good freeware CORBA server? Is TAO the standard or is there a
    >better one? What about Mico? CORBA 3.0 would be better, but these seem to
    >have stopped at 2.3, right?
    >
    >* Are there any good Java/CORBA tutorials? I've found a boatload of them, so
    >it would be good to know where to spend my time
    >
    >* What are good reference works?
    >
    >* How secure is CORBA and can this be increased?
    >
    >What we'll end up doing is running the servers and then accessing them via
    >Java, so that we can, in effect, have both remote access and features not
    >specific to Java available. Has anyone done this and are there caveats?
    >
    >Hope these questions make sense to someone else...
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Jeff

    , May 7, 2004

  3. Jeff Gaynor

    Sudsy Guest

    Jeff Gaynor wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking into using CORBA in a project. I would like some advice from
    > those more experienced on the following. We will be running the server on
    > several platforms and anticipate, unfortunately, the need for platform
    > specific extensions, so the server can't be Java. :eek:(

    While I can recommend JacORB, the reality is that CORBA is going to
    remain a niche protocol, just like DCE. The difficulty is that CORBA
    defined "optional" services which have become integral to the J2EE
    specification.
    So why attempt to implement or support CORBA with transactional
    options when you can purchase a J2EE platform which incorporates
    transaction management?
    But I have to applaud Sun for supporting IIOP so that customers can
    incorporate legacy platforms into the mix. I think it's totally
    funky to be able to link CICS and COBOL apps into a modern, n-tier
    architecture.
    Who'd a thunk it?

    Sudsy, May 8, 2004