Looking for CORBA advice

Jeff Gaynor

Hi,

I am looking into using CORBA in a project. I would like some advice from
those more experienced on the following. We will be running the server on
several platforms and anticipate, unfortunately, the need for platform
specific extensions, so the server can't be Java. :eek:(

* What is a good freeware CORBA server? Is TAO the standard or is there a
better one? What about Mico? CORBA 3.0 would be better, but these seem to
have stopped at 2.3, right?

* Are there any good Java/CORBA tutorials? I've found a boatload of them, so
it would be good to know where to spend my time

* What are good reference works?

* How secure is CORBA and can this be increased?

What we'll end up doing is running the servers and then accessing them via
Java, so that we can, in effect, have both remote access and features not
specific to Java available. Has anyone done this and are there caveats?

Hope these questions make sense to someone else...

Cheers,

Jeff

Sudsy

Jeff said:
Hi,

I am looking into using CORBA in a project. I would like some advice from
those more experienced on the following. We will be running the server on
several platforms and anticipate, unfortunately, the need for platform
specific extensions, so the server can't be Java. :eek:(

While I can recommend JacORB, the reality is that CORBA is going to
remain a niche protocol, just like DCE. The difficulty is that CORBA
defined "optional" services which have become integral to the J2EE
specification.
So why attempt to implement or support CORBA with transactional
options when you can purchase a J2EE platform which incorporates
transaction management?
But I have to applaud Sun for supporting IIOP so that customers can
incorporate legacy platforms into the mix. I think it's totally
funky to be able to link CICS and COBOL apps into a modern, n-tier
architecture.
Who'd a thunk it?