Looking For Decent Java IDEs

Discussion in 'Java' started by Tim Zhao, Nov 13, 2003.

  1. Tim Zhao

    Tim Zhao Guest

    I am looking for a decent Java IDE editor written in C/C++.

    I do not want those IDEs written in Java. They are very slow.
    It is convenient for those programmers just to keep one code
    base for multiple platforms. But it is a big hassle for users to
    put up with the awful consequence of slow speed. It is a shame
    that those programmers even claim that such "one code base"
    approach is a revolution.

    Three years ago,
    Java was slow, bulky and buggy.
    Java IDEs were slow, bulky and buggy.
    I posted this question in newsgroups to look for Java IDEs written in C/C++.

    It is a shame that
    Three years later,
    Java is STILL slow, bulky and buggy.
    Java IDEs are STILL slow, bulky and buggy.
    I STILL have post this question in the newsgroup to look for Java IDEs
    written in C/C++.

    Tim Zhao, Nov 13, 2003

  2. Tim Zhao

    David Segall Guest

    "Tim Zhao" <> wrote:

    >I am looking for a decent Java IDE editor written in C/C++.
    >
    >I do not want those IDEs written in Java. They are very slow.
    >It is convenient for those programmers just to keep one code
    >base for multiple platforms. But it is a big hassle for users to
    >put up with the awful consequence of slow speed. It is a shame
    >that those programmers even claim that such "one code base"
    >approach is a revolution.
    >
    >Three years ago,
    >Java was slow, bulky and buggy.
    >Java IDEs were slow, bulky and buggy.
    >I posted this question in newsgroups to look for Java IDEs written in C/C++.
    >
    >It is a shame that
    >Three years later,
    >Java is STILL slow, bulky and buggy.
    >Java IDEs are STILL slow, bulky and buggy.
    >I STILL have post this question in the newsgroup to look for Java IDEs
    >written in C/C++.

    Why are you looking for a Java IDE? The only thing you can do with a
    Java IDE is write Java code. It seems foolish to write slow, bulky and
    buggy code for yourself and immoral to accept money for writing it.

    David Segall, Nov 13, 2003

  3. Tim Zhao

    Bob Rivers Guest

    David Segall <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Tim Zhao" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I am looking for a decent Java IDE editor written in C/C++.
    > >
    > >I do not want those IDEs written in Java. They are very slow.
    > >It is convenient for those programmers just to keep one code
    > >base for multiple platforms. But it is a big hassle for users to
    > >put up with the awful consequence of slow speed. It is a shame
    > >that those programmers even claim that such "one code base"
    > >approach is a revolution.
    > >
    > >Three years ago,
    > >Java was slow, bulky and buggy.
    > >Java IDEs were slow, bulky and buggy.
    > >I posted this question in newsgroups to look for Java IDEs written in C/C++.
    > >
    > >It is a shame that
    > >Three years later,
    > >Java is STILL slow, bulky and buggy.
    > >Java IDEs are STILL slow, bulky and buggy.
    > >I STILL have post this question in the newsgroup to look for Java IDEs
    > >written in C/C++.
    > >

    > Why are you looking for a Java IDE? The only thing you can do with a
    > Java IDE is write Java code. It seems foolish to write slow, bulky and
    > buggy code for yourself and immoral to accept money for writing it.

    Touche !!!! :)

    Bob Rivers, Nov 13, 2003
  4. Tim Zhao schrieb:
    > I am looking for a decent Java IDE editor written in C/C++.
    >
    > I do not want those IDEs written in Java. They are very slow.
    > It is convenient for those programmers just to keep one code
    > base for multiple platforms. But it is a big hassle for users to
    > put up with the awful consequence of slow speed. It is a shame
    > that those programmers even claim that such "one code base"
    > approach is a revolution.
    >
    > Three years ago,
    > Java was slow, bulky and buggy.
    > Java IDEs were slow, bulky and buggy.
    > I posted this question in newsgroups to look for Java IDEs written in C/C++.
    >
    > It is a shame that
    > Three years later,
    > Java is STILL slow, bulky and buggy.
    > Java IDEs are STILL slow, bulky and buggy.
    > I STILL have post this question in the newsgroup to look for Java IDEs
    > written in C/C++.

    http://www.gexperts.com

    A Java IDE written in Delphi.

    Thomas Kellerer, Nov 13, 2003
  5. "Tim Zhao" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > I am looking for a decent Java IDE editor written in C/C++.
    >
    > I do not want those IDEs written in Java. They are very slow.

    Even though Eclipse is written in Java, I don't find it slow. But
    then, I think that I'm of the patient kind ;-)

    You might try Emacs with JDEE and ECB (two add-on packages for Emacs).
    I'm not sure if I should say that Emacs is written in C, or if I
    should say that it is written in Lisp, but I think you can't really
    call it slow. You know, Emacs means Eight Megabytes And Constantly
    Swapping, but these days most machines have a lot more RAM than just
    8MB.

    Kai

    Kai Grossjohann, Nov 14, 2003
  6. Tim Zhao

    David Guest

    Eclipse is in Java, but its performance is more than adequate for my
    needs. I prefer its spartan UI to the more feature-loaded GUIs like
    Netbeans and JBuilder.

    However, it sounds like you are disinclined to like Java technology
    anyway, so why bother? After 10 years of C++ on Windows, I was more
    than happy to convert.

    David, Nov 14, 2003
  7. "Tim Zhao" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I am looking for a decent Java IDE editor written in C/C++.
    >
    > It is a shame that
    > Three years later,
    > Java is STILL slow, bulky and buggy.
    > Java IDEs are STILL slow, bulky and buggy.
    > I STILL have post this question in the newsgroup to look for Java IDEs
    > written in C/C++.

    I don't know why it is that so many claim that NetBeans is slow and
    bulky. Sure, it takes up a TON of memory (ug) but if you're sportin'
    512 MB you shouldn't have a problem. It runs just fine for me.

    The Visual Studio IDE I have to use occassionally pauses for a
    looooong time in the code editor and makes me wish I was using
    NetBeans - and wishing that I was working on a project in Java.

    Eclipse is just fine too performance-wise, I just don't like it as
    much as NetBeans...

    Bradley E. Rintoul, Nov 14, 2003
  8. Bradley E. Rintoul schrieb:
    > "Tim Zhao" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>I am looking for a decent Java IDE editor written in C/C++.
    >>
    >>It is a shame that
    >>Three years later,
    >>Java is STILL slow, bulky and buggy.
    >>Java IDEs are STILL slow, bulky and buggy.
    >>I STILL have post this question in the newsgroup to look for Java IDEs
    >>written in C/C++.

    > I don't know why it is that so many claim that NetBeans is slow and
    > bulky. Sure, it takes up a TON of memory (ug) but if you're sportin'
    > 512 MB you shouldn't have a problem. It runs just fine for me.
    >
    > The Visual Studio IDE I have to use occassionally pauses for a
    > looooong time in the code editor and makes me wish I was using
    > NetBeans - and wishing that I was working on a project in Java.
    >
    > Eclipse is just fine too performance-wise, I just don't like it as
    > much as NetBeans...

    Full ACK!

    Thomas

    Thomas Kellerer, Nov 14, 2003
  9. Tim Zhao

    GoogleMan Guest

    Eclipse actually performs extremely well due to it being built with
    SWT and not AWT/Swing. SWT uses native widgets where ever possible
    and that speeds things up considerably. Free (www.eclipse.org)

    IntelliJ (from JetBrains) does using Swing and can be sluggish at
    times, but not painfully so. $$$ (www.intellij.com)

    NetBeans has always seemed painfully slow and not as user-friendly as,
    say, IntelliJ, but some people like it well enough. Free
    (www.netbeans.org)

    For my part, I've used all of the Java IDE's and the one that I've
    settle on is Eclipse. The plugins are great and the features are
    close, but not quite as good as IntelliJ, but it's free and a little
    crisper on performance.

    Good luck.

    GoogleMan, Nov 15, 2003
  10. Tim Zhao

    Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, Nov 15, 2003
  11. Tim Zhao

    Dale King Guest

    > > I am looking for a decent Java IDE editor written in C/C++.
    > >
    > > I do not want those IDEs written in Java. They are very slow.

    > Even though Eclipse is written in Java, I don't find it slow. But
    > then, I think that I'm of the patient kind ;-)

    I use Eclipse on a 266MHz laptop and find it quite adequate. The only thing
    slow is the startup.
    --
    Dale King

    Dale King, Nov 17, 2003