Looking For Decent Java IDEs

Tim Zhao

I am looking for a decent Java IDE editor written in C/C++.

I do not want those IDEs written in Java. They are very slow.
It is convenient for those programmers just to keep one code
base for multiple platforms. But it is a big hassle for users to
put up with the awful consequence of slow speed. It is a shame
that those programmers even claim that such "one code base"
approach is a revolution.

Three years ago,
Java was slow, bulky and buggy.
Java IDEs were slow, bulky and buggy.
I posted this question in newsgroups to look for Java IDEs written in C/C++.

It is a shame that
Three years later,
Java is STILL slow, bulky and buggy.
Java IDEs are STILL slow, bulky and buggy.
I STILL have post this question in the newsgroup to look for Java IDEs
written in C/C++.

David Segall

Tim Zhao said:
I am looking for a decent Java IDE editor written in C/C++.

I do not want those IDEs written in Java. They are very slow.
It is convenient for those programmers just to keep one code
base for multiple platforms. But it is a big hassle for users to
put up with the awful consequence of slow speed. It is a shame
that those programmers even claim that such "one code base"
approach is a revolution.

Three years ago,
Java was slow, bulky and buggy.
Java IDEs were slow, bulky and buggy.
I posted this question in newsgroups to look for Java IDEs written in C/C++.

It is a shame that
Three years later,
Java is STILL slow, bulky and buggy.
Java IDEs are STILL slow, bulky and buggy.
I STILL have post this question in the newsgroup to look for Java IDEs
written in C/C++.
Why are you looking for a Java IDE? The only thing you can do with a
Java IDE is write Java code. It seems foolish to write slow, bulky and
buggy code for yourself and immoral to accept money for writing it.

Bob Rivers

David Segall said:
Why are you looking for a Java IDE? The only thing you can do with a
Java IDE is write Java code. It seems foolish to write slow, bulky and
buggy code for yourself and immoral to accept money for writing it.

Touche !!!! :)

Thomas Kellerer

Tim said:
I am looking for a decent Java IDE editor written in C/C++.

I do not want those IDEs written in Java. They are very slow.
It is convenient for those programmers just to keep one code
base for multiple platforms. But it is a big hassle for users to
put up with the awful consequence of slow speed. It is a shame
that those programmers even claim that such "one code base"
approach is a revolution.

Three years ago,
Java was slow, bulky and buggy.
Java IDEs were slow, bulky and buggy.
I posted this question in newsgroups to look for Java IDEs written in C/C++.

It is a shame that
Three years later,
Java is STILL slow, bulky and buggy.
Java IDEs are STILL slow, bulky and buggy.
I STILL have post this question in the newsgroup to look for Java IDEs
written in C/C++.
http://www.gexperts.com

A Java IDE written in Delphi.

Kai Grossjohann

Tim Zhao said:
I am looking for a decent Java IDE editor written in C/C++.

I do not want those IDEs written in Java. They are very slow.

Even though Eclipse is written in Java, I don't find it slow. But
then, I think that I'm of the patient kind ;-)

You might try Emacs with JDEE and ECB (two add-on packages for Emacs).
I'm not sure if I should say that Emacs is written in C, or if I
should say that it is written in Lisp, but I think you can't really
call it slow. You know, Emacs means Eight Megabytes And Constantly
Swapping, but these days most machines have a lot more RAM than just
8MB.

Kai

David

Eclipse is in Java, but its performance is more than adequate for my
needs. I prefer its spartan UI to the more feature-loaded GUIs like
Netbeans and JBuilder.

However, it sounds like you are disinclined to like Java technology
anyway, so why bother? After 10 years of C++ on Windows, I was more
than happy to convert.

Bradley E. Rintoul

Tim Zhao said:
I am looking for a decent Java IDE editor written in C/C++.

It is a shame that
Three years later,
Java is STILL slow, bulky and buggy.
Java IDEs are STILL slow, bulky and buggy.
I STILL have post this question in the newsgroup to look for Java IDEs
written in C/C++.

I don't know why it is that so many claim that NetBeans is slow and
bulky. Sure, it takes up a TON of memory (ug) but if you're sportin'
512 MB you shouldn't have a problem. It runs just fine for me.

The Visual Studio IDE I have to use occassionally pauses for a
looooong time in the code editor and makes me wish I was using
NetBeans - and wishing that I was working on a project in Java.

Eclipse is just fine too performance-wise, I just don't like it as
much as NetBeans...

Thomas Kellerer

Bradley said:
I don't know why it is that so many claim that NetBeans is slow and
bulky. Sure, it takes up a TON of memory (ug) but if you're sportin'
512 MB you shouldn't have a problem. It runs just fine for me.

The Visual Studio IDE I have to use occassionally pauses for a
looooong time in the code editor and makes me wish I was using
NetBeans - and wishing that I was working on a project in Java.

Eclipse is just fine too performance-wise, I just don't like it as
much as NetBeans...

Full ACK!

Thomas

GoogleMan

Eclipse actually performs extremely well due to it being built with
SWT and not AWT/Swing. SWT uses native widgets where ever possible
and that speeds things up considerably. Free (www.eclipse.org)

IntelliJ (from JetBrains) does using Swing and can be sluggish at
times, but not painfully so. $$$ (www.intellij.com)

NetBeans has always seemed painfully slow and not as user-friendly as,
say, IntelliJ, but some people like it well enough. Free
(www.netbeans.org)

For my part, I've used all of the Java IDE's and the one that I've
settle on is Eclipse. The plugins are great and the features are
close, but not quite as good as IntelliJ, but it's free and a little
crisper on performance.

Good luck.

Dale King

Kai Grossjohann said:
"Tim Zhao" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Even though Eclipse is written in Java, I don't find it slow. But
then, I think that I'm of the patient kind ;-)

I use Eclipse on a 266MHz laptop and find it quite adequate. The only thing
slow is the startup.