Looking for design pattern - client to server

Lloyd Sheen

Here are the components:

Using VS 2005 Pro / ASP.NET / AJAX.NET / VB.NET

Here is the application:

I have an app which has a navigator/search facility to find media files
available to my app and then using the media player ActiveX play them. It
can get a list of files and using Javascript it can play then as if in a
playlist. The navigator component is a server side component which
generates Javascript for buttons which are placed in a repeater. Once the
list of media files is created and the playing started it is handled solely
by the Javascript. Using Ajax allow the app to use the navigation component
to find more files and still have the media player ActiveX play the media
without interuption.

What I need to do is the following:

Since I know the URL for the media file playing I would like to be able to
navigate back to the currently playing file location (most likely a folder
on my server) without interupting the media playing. I have an image button
for this since the naviagation will take place on the server.

I have tried the following:

- use a hidden text field to hold the current media playing. This is
updated by the javascript. When the image button is clicked I access the
hidden text field but the information that the Javascript placed there is
not passed (most likely a viewstate issue).

- use Javascript to do the following:

<%--<script type="text/javascript">
function Tester()
{
//debugger;
var playList;
var argument;
playList = document.getElementById("ddPlayList");
if (playList.options.length>0)
{
argument = 'RESTORE' + playList.options[0].value;
__doPostBack('__PlayAllButton', argument);
</script>
--%>

This results in the page refreshing, the media stopping and the playlist
destroyed.

I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks
Lloyd Sheen