Looking for developer guidelines for planning for testing

lvirden

As I read through various books on testing and QA, I see authors mention
that it is much better to plan for testing during design and development
than to try to retrofit testing support later.

And that seems like a very obvious point to make.

What I've not found is good advice and recommendations to a developer on
how to do this. Anyone found any good resources, or at least good
recommendations, on how to productively plan during design and development
for testing so that one achieves consistent support in the code?

Chris Smith

As I read through various books on testing and QA, I see authors mention
that it is much better to plan for testing during design and development
than to try to retrofit testing support later.

And that seems like a very obvious point to make.

What I've not found is good advice and recommendations to a developer on
how to do this. Anyone found any good resources, or at least good
recommendations, on how to productively plan during design and development
for testing so that one achieves consistent support in the code?

For the extreme position, try looking for the term "test driven
development". Doing this for a while certainly teaches a person to
write testable code.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Drew Volpe

Last time we met said:
As I read through various books on testing and QA, I see authors mention
that it is much better to plan for testing during design and development
than to try to retrofit testing support later.

And that seems like a very obvious point to make.

Unit tests built into the code at every stage of development are
a great way to accomplish this. It's hard to stay disciplined and
make sure they're automated and run nightly/weekly, but doing
so is very valuable.

dv

The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury. Due north of the
center we find the South End. This is not to be confused with South
Boston which lies directly east from the South End. North of the South
End is East Boston and southwest of East Boston is the North End.

Drew Volpe, mylastname at hcs o harvard o edu

Phlip

lvirden said:
What I've not found is good advice and recommendations to a developer on
how to do this. Anyone found any good resources, or at least good
recommendations, on how to productively plan during design and development
for testing so that one achieves consistent support in the code?

If developers write tests at the same time as they write code, they will
trade many hours running a debugger for just a few hours writing tests. They
make writing the code faster. Research /Test Driven Development/.