    for testing so that one achieves consistent support in the code?

    --
    Tenth Tcl/Tk Conference is this week! <http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2003>

  2. Chris Smith Guest

    wrote:

    > As I read through various books on testing and QA, I see authors mention
    > that it is much better to plan for testing during design and development
    > than to try to retrofit testing support later.
    >
    > And that seems like a very obvious point to make.
    >
    > What I've not found is good advice and recommendations to a developer on
    > how to do this. Anyone found any good resources, or at least good
    > recommendations, on how to productively plan during design and development
    > for testing so that one achieves consistent support in the code?

    For the extreme position, try looking for the term "test driven
    development". Doing this for a while certainly teaches a person to
    write testable code.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation
    Chris Smith, Jul 30, 2003

  3. Drew Volpe Guest

    Last time we met, <> had said:

    > As I read through various books on testing and QA, I see authors mention
    > that it is much better to plan for testing during design and development
    > than to try to retrofit testing support later.
    >
    > And that seems like a very obvious point to make.

    Unit tests built into the code at every stage of development are
    a great way to accomplish this. It's hard to stay disciplined and
    make sure they're automated and run nightly/weekly, but doing
    so is very valuable.

    dv

    The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury. Due north of the
    center we find the South End. This is not to be confused with South
    Boston which lies directly east from the South End. North of the South
    End is East Boston and southwest of East Boston is the North End.

    Drew Volpe, mylastname at hcs o harvard o edu
    Drew Volpe, Jul 30, 2003
  4. Bob Kranson Guest

    I've used Compuware's Reconcile to create requirements, QADirector to track
    their implementation and develop test cases, then QARun to implement tests
    and trace back to the requirements. Have a look:
    http://www.compuware.com/products/#quality or a more unified web-view using
    CARS: http://www.compuware.com/products/cars/default.htm

  5. Phlip Guest

    lvirden wrote:

    > What I've not found is good advice and recommendations to a developer on
    > how to do this. Anyone found any good resources, or at least good
    > recommendations, on how to productively plan during design and development
    > for testing so that one achieves consistent support in the code?

    If developers write tests at the same time as they write code, they will
    trade many hours running a debugger for just a few hours writing tests. They
    make writing the code faster. Research /Test Driven Development/.

    --
    Phlip
    http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?TestFirstUserInterfaces
    Phlip, Jul 31, 2003