Looking for examples of developing new Tkinter Widgets in Tcl/Tk

jhujsak

Hi,

Can anyone point me to any good examples of how to get started
developing new Tkinter widgets in Tcl/Tk?

I have read a number of the popular books on Python and Tkinter:

- Grayson, J.E., Python and Tkinter Programming, Manning Publications,
2000
- Lutz, M., Programming Python, O'Reilly, 1996.
- etc.

but all seem to sidestep the entire issue of developing new widgets in
Tk and then wrapping them for Tkinter.

I have a large number of unique widgets to implement and any help here
would be greatly appreciated. I prefer to work in Tkinter instead of
alternatives such as WxPython because I have a strong background in
Tcl/Tk.

Thanks!

--Jon

Steve Holden

Hi,

Can anyone point me to any good examples of how to get started
developing new Tkinter widgets in Tcl/Tk?

I have read a number of the popular books on Python and Tkinter:

- Grayson, J.E., Python and Tkinter Programming, Manning Publications,
2000
- Lutz, M., Programming Python, O'Reilly, 1996.
- etc.

but all seem to sidestep the entire issue of developing new widgets in
Tk and then wrapping them for Tkinter.

I have a large number of unique widgets to implement and any help here
would be greatly appreciated. I prefer to work in Tkinter instead of
alternatives such as WxPython because I have a strong background in
Tcl/Tk.
You could do worse than look at the Python Megawidgets code from

http://pmw.sourceforge.net/

although there is probably some code in there that's more for framework
reasons that is strictly needed for a single extension widget.

As usual the effbot is ahead of the game with the Widget Construction
Kit, see

http://effbot.org/zone/wck.htm

regards
Steve