Looking for free or open source shopping cart

John Sutter

Hi

I am looking for a good quality shopping cart that's free and open source.
I have searched aspin.com and hotscripts.com but the only free ones I saw
were pretty simple.

I am looking for something like OSCommerce for PHP.

John

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

I'm not sure which, if any, of the following are free:
http://www.aspfaq.com/2225

However, creating the schema and ASP code for a shopping cart is relatively
simple, and the most flexible way would be to build your own. The most
complicated part is the payment gateway, but most merchants will provide you
with something that you literally just plug in.

John Sutter

I'm not sure which, if any, of the following are free:
http://www.aspfaq.com/2225

However, creating the schema and ASP code for a shopping cart is relatively
simple, and the most flexible way would be to build your own. The most
complicated part is the payment gateway, but most merchants will provide you
with something that you literally just plug in.

Creating one with the quality of OSCommerce will take me months. I need to
run one for many sites. I can't afford to buy many licenses.

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

Creating one with the quality of OSCommerce will take me months.

That depends on whether you need all of the features. And whether you are
willing to put up with another vendor's tech support avenues. Or
integrating it into your site. Never mind what happens when you try to
integrate a "free" product (not only cost-free, but also support-free).
I need to
run one for many sites. I can't afford to buy many licenses.

Are these sites running e-commerce applications and not paying for them? If
you are developing for other clients, they should be able to absorb the
cost. And getting a site-wide license will probably be economical, too.

It is so disappointing to see e-commerce applications being stifled or
limited artificially because of the reluctance to spend the time, or the
money, or both, to do it right. Same with the component argument. People
are unwilling to spend $100 on an upload component but will spend two weeks
of their time developing their own buggy solution. But they saved money, I
guess, assuming their time is worthless. :-(

John Sutter

[...]

I am a small hosting company and would like to offer a nice shopping cart
for each site. I don't know PHP and therefore do not want to offer
OSCommerce. I don't have time to learn PHP just to maintain OSCommerce.
OScommerce is offered by many Linux hosts. I am looking for an equivalent
solution for ASP under Windows.

John

Andie

Hello John,

A good site is www.candypress.com, here is some information. Front end is
free, but the back end is $44.99

CandyPressT Store v2.5 is an eCommerce software suite for small to medium
sized businesses. The application consists of two components - the Frontend
component, and the Administration component. A great deal of time and effort
has gone into making our products as easy to use, and as reliable, as
possible. Have a look at the extensive list of features we support, or check
out the online demo for a first-hand look.

Andie