    were pretty simple.

    I am looking for something like OSCommerce for PHP.

    John

    John Sutter, Jan 20, 2004

  2. I'm not sure which, if any, of the following are free:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/2225

    However, creating the schema and ASP code for a shopping cart is relatively
    simple, and the most flexible way would be to build your own. The most
    complicated part is the payment gateway, but most merchants will provide you
    with something that you literally just plug in.

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Jan 20, 2004

  3. John Sutter

    John Sutter Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:58:17 -0500, Aaron Bertrand - MVP wrote:

    > I'm not sure which, if any, of the following are free:
    > http://www.aspfaq.com/2225
    >
    > However, creating the schema and ASP code for a shopping cart is relatively
    > simple, and the most flexible way would be to build your own. The most
    > complicated part is the payment gateway, but most merchants will provide you
    > with something that you literally just plug in.

    Creating one with the quality of OSCommerce will take me months. I need to
    run one for many sites. I can't afford to buy many licenses.

    John Sutter, Jan 20, 2004
  4. > Creating one with the quality of OSCommerce will take me months.

    That depends on whether you need all of the features. And whether you are
    willing to put up with another vendor's tech support avenues. Or
    integrating it into your site. Never mind what happens when you try to
    integrate a "free" product (not only cost-free, but also support-free).

    > I need to
    > run one for many sites. I can't afford to buy many licenses.

    Are these sites running e-commerce applications and not paying for them? If
    you are developing for other clients, they should be able to absorb the
    cost. And getting a site-wide license will probably be economical, too.

    It is so disappointing to see e-commerce applications being stifled or
    limited artificially because of the reluctance to spend the time, or the
    money, or both, to do it right. Same with the component argument. People
    are unwilling to spend $100 on an upload component but will spend two weeks
    of their time developing their own buggy solution. But they saved money, I
    guess, assuming their time is worthless. :-(

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Jan 20, 2004
  5. John Sutter

    John Sutter Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 18:51:53 -0500, Aaron Bertrand - MVP wrote:

    >> Creating one with the quality of OSCommerce will take me months.

    > That depends on whether you need all of the features. And whether you are
    > willing to put up with another vendor's tech support avenues. Or
    > integrating it into your site. Never mind what happens when you try to
    > integrate a "free" product (not only cost-free, but also support-free).
    >
    >> I need to
    >> run one for many sites. I can't afford to buy many licenses.

    > Are these sites running e-commerce applications and not paying for them? If
    > you are developing for other clients, they should be able to absorb the
    > cost. And getting a site-wide license will probably be economical, too.
    >
    > It is so disappointing to see e-commerce applications being stifled or
    > limited artificially because of the reluctance to spend the time, or the
    > money, or both, to do it right. Same with the component argument. People
    > are unwilling to spend $100 on an upload component but will spend two weeks
    > of their time developing their own buggy solution. But they saved money, I
    > guess, assuming their time is worthless. :-(

    I am a small hosting company and would like to offer a nice shopping cart
    for each site. I don't know PHP and therefore do not want to offer
    OSCommerce. I don't have time to learn PHP just to maintain OSCommerce.
    OScommerce is offered by many Linux hosts. I am looking for an equivalent
    solution for ASP under Windows.

    John

    John Sutter, Jan 21, 2004
  6. John Sutter

    Andie Guest

    Hello John,

    A good site is www.candypress.com, here is some information. Front end is
    free, but the back end is $44.99

    CandyPressT Store v2.5 is an eCommerce software suite for small to medium
    sized businesses. The application consists of two components - the Frontend
    component, and the Administration component. A great deal of time and effort
    has gone into making our products as easy to use, and as reliable, as
    possible. Have a look at the extensive list of features we support, or check
    out the online demo for a first-hand look.

    Andie

    Andie, Feb 11, 2004