Looking for FTP tool

Herbert Blenner

My goal is to transfer hundreds of HTML files and their graphics from
one FTP site to another. The source site is verizon.net and the
destination is member space of AOL. Due to the quantity of files I
seek a tool that will enable copy from the verizon site and paste to
the AOL location.

TIA, Herbert

Ed Mullen

Herbert said:
My goal is to transfer hundreds of HTML files and their graphics from
one FTP site to another. The source site is verizon.net and the
destination is member space of AOL. Due to the quantity of files I
seek a tool that will enable copy from the verizon site and paste to
the AOL location.

TIA, Herbert

Well. I don't use either Verizon or AOL. But, if they support FTP
(which your subject line indicates) all you need is some FTP client like
Cute FTP or Filezilla.

http://www.cuteftp.com/
http://filezilla-project.org/

Or Google for FTP software.

If you don't have a mirror of the verizon.net files/folders, use the ftp
client to download them to your hard drive. Then use the ftp client to
upload them to the AOL ftp site. Simple enough.

Robert Jones

Ed said:
Well. I don't use either Verizon or AOL. But, if they support FTP
(which your subject line indicates) all you need is some FTP client like
Cute FTP or Filezilla.

http://www.cuteftp.com/
http://filezilla-project.org/

Or Google for FTP software.

If you don't have a mirror of the verizon.net files/folders, use the ftp
client to download them to your hard drive. Then use the ftp client to
upload them to the AOL ftp site. Simple enough.

Uh, how about the original tool - ftp - which exists in some form on most
systems as a commandline tool. I used to use it but now I use sftp.

Ed Mullen

Robert said:
Uh, how about the original tool - ftp - which exists in some form on most
systems as a commandline tool. I used to use it but now I use sftp.

So? URLs as a reference? What are you talking about in terms of a
solution for the OP?

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Herbert Blenner <[email protected]>
writing in @v17g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:
My goal is to transfer hundreds of HTML files and their graphics from
one FTP site to another. The source site is verizon.net and the
destination is member space of AOL. Due to the quantity of files I
seek a tool that will enable copy from the verizon site and paste to
the AOL location.

TIA, Herbert

You might try Googling for FTP between sites.

cwdjrxyz

My goal is to transfer hundreds of HTML files and their graphics from
one FTP site to another. The source site is verizon.net and the
destination is member space of AOL. Due to the quantity of files I
seek a tool that will enable copy from the verizon site and paste to
the AOL location.

TIA, Herbert

Others have offered some good suggestions. Many hosts now have tools
for moving all your files from an old site to the new site. This often
is an extra perk to get you to use them as a host. I doubt if AOL will
have this service, but it will not hurt to read their info carefully
to make certain. Files usually will transfer much faster to a new host
when it is done from old server to new server directly without having
to download from the old server to your computer and then upload from
your computer to the new server. Years ago there was a free service
that would transfer files directly from one host to another, when the
receiving host allowed. However this free service tended to be slow
and overloaded. It was used mainly by those who could not store or
download anything on their usually set top boxes such as early
versions of WebTV and some other boxes used on some satellite services.

richard

My goal is to transfer hundreds of HTML files and their graphics from
one FTP site to another. The source site is verizon.net and the
destination is member space of AOL. Due to the quantity of files I
seek a tool that will enable copy from the verizon site and paste to
the AOL location.

TIA, Herbert

Contact verizon and see if they have a tool for that purpose.
But why go with AO hell?
You'd be better off with your own domain.

Herbert Blenner

Well.  I don't use either Verizon or AOL.  But, if they support FTP
(which your subject line indicates) all you need is some FTP client like
Cute FTP or Filezilla.

http://www.cuteftp.com/http://filezilla-project.org/

Or Google for FTP software.

If you don't have a mirror of the verizon.net files/folders, use the ftp
client to download them to your hard drive.  Then use the ftp client to
upload them to the AOL ftp site.  Simple enough.

AOL allows a user to transfer files only to a special directory named
incoming. This technique requires changing the name of the directory
after the transfer. With nested directories this method is less than
desirable, assuming that AOL will allow the operations.

Herbert

Robert Jones

Ed said:
So? URLs as a reference? What are you talking about in terms of a
solution for the OP?

You suggest he go get ftp software when he most likely has ftp already. It's
simple, zip or tarball the files and folders to be transferred and then:

ftp server1
ftp>get files
ftp>quit
zip zipfile.zip files
ftp server2
ftp>put zipfile.zip
ftp>quit

or

ftp server1
ftp>get files
ftp>quit
tar -cjf tarball.tbz2 files
ftp server2
ftp>put tarball.tbz2
ftp>quit

That's what I meant. And if you couldn't tell I use linux most times. But
win98 comes with ftp also(at least my old copy did). Why get a complicated
graphical tool when you got one that works.

Ben C

Ed said:
Robert said:
Ed Mullen wrote:

Herbert Blenner wrote:
[...]

I think you need mget if you want more than one file at a time, and it's
always a good idea to issue the "binary" command before getting any
non-text files such as zips just to be sure.

But yes I agree it's easy (just read the manual). Many file browsers
like Konqueror support ftp. You just put a ftp url in the location bar
and can browse the directories. But for transferring hundreds of files
and graphics the command line tool is likely to be a better choice.

Harlan Messinger

Robert said:
You suggest he go get ftp software when he most likely has ftp already. It's
simple, zip or tarball the files and folders to be transferred and then:

ftp server1
ftp>get files
ftp>quit
zip zipfile.zip files
ftp server2
ftp>put zipfile.zip
ftp>quit

or

ftp server1
ftp>get files
ftp>quit
tar -cjf tarball.tbz2 files
ftp server2
ftp>put tarball.tbz2
ftp>quit

Why are you having him zip them in your scenario? Presumably he needs
them to be independent files at the destination locationjust as they are
at the source location.

Brian Cryer

Herbert Blenner said:
My goal is to transfer hundreds of HTML files and their graphics from
one FTP site to another. The source site is verizon.net and the
destination is member space of AOL. Due to the quantity of files I
seek a tool that will enable copy from the verizon site and paste to
the AOL location.

Unless your new host provides this as a service (which they might and it is
worth asking) the best you will be able to do is to FTP down to your PC and
then FTP up to the new site. A tool might wrap this up for you and give you
the appearance that its one operation, but it will be downloading and then
uploading. So why not use your favourite FTP tool to download everything and
then upload as a separate step?

Robert Jones

Harlan said:
Why are you having him zip them in your scenario? Presumably he needs
them to be independent files at the destination locationjust as they are
at the source location.

I'm basing it on my own experience here. I don't like typing the put command
anymore than necessary and compressing the files is a good idea if you have
alot of them and use dial-up. Most servers I've used have a unzip
command(the one I'm using now is a netbsd/alpha setup with tar and bzip2).

Harlan Messinger

Robert said:
I'm basing it on my own experience here. I don't like typing the put command
anymore than necessary and compressing the files is a good idea if you have
alot of them and use dial-up. Most servers I've used have a unzip
command(the one I'm using now is a netbsd/alpha setup with tar and bzip2).

I'm still not understanding. Unless he happens to have a shell account
on the server, he can't unzip them on the server. Most of us don't have
shell accounts on our ISP's web server.

If he *does* have a shell account on his servers, then he wouldn't need
to FTP twice with is own computer as intermediary anyway. He'd just FTP
from the old server to the new one.

Another point: It was you who suggested, "You suggest he go get ftp
software when he most likely has ftp already." Well, that's why it's so
complicated under your approach--using the no-frills command-line FTP
that comes with the OS. The GUI-based FTP clients like CuteFTP and
Filezilla (the latter which I just downloaded last week and, so far,
like) greatly simplify the process. Multiple files in on directory or
multiple whole directories can be transferred in a simple click-and-drag
operation.

cwdjrxyz

[...]

The server on the host I use has a web shell where you can do many
operations directly on the server. This often is more convenient for
making a few changes in php files than downloading them, changing
them, and then uploading them again. When the modified file is working
properly, you can then download it to the computer for backup, if
desired. There are compressors/decompressors that can be used directly
on the server for zip, gzip, bzip. and tar zip. The compresson formats
other than zip are perhaps more often used for files sent from one
server to another. I usually use CuteFTP for uploading/downloading
between the computer and server. It can download three domains on my
site with one setting, but I usually do not go to this extreme because
I have several GB on the server. I usually download by directories in
the 3 domains. The advantage of CuteFTP is that it will keep trying to
reconnect if the connection to the server is broken. This does not
cure all problems, but it often prevents stopage. Also, for moderate
size files, it often uploads two files at once, switching from one to
the other as upload progresses. I assume this likely increases the
speed of uploading.

There is such a glut of hosts these days, that you often can find just
the features you want at a reasonable price if you take some time to
shop around. Of course at work, if you must use the "company store"
server, you may have little choice in what features are on the server
unless the person responsible for the server will listen to you and
make changes..