    seek a tool that will enable copy from the verizon site and paste to
    the AOL location.

    TIA, Herbert
    Herbert Blenner, Feb 13, 2008

  2. Herbert Blenner

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Herbert Blenner wrote:
    > My goal is to transfer hundreds of HTML files and their graphics from
    > one FTP site to another. The source site is verizon.net and the
    > destination is member space of AOL. Due to the quantity of files I
    > seek a tool that will enable copy from the verizon site and paste to
    > the AOL location.
    >
    > TIA, Herbert

    Well. I don't use either Verizon or AOL. But, if they support FTP
    (which your subject line indicates) all you need is some FTP client like
    Cute FTP or Filezilla.

    http://www.cuteftp.com/
    http://filezilla-project.org/

    Or Google for FTP software.

    If you don't have a mirror of the verizon.net files/folders, use the ftp
    client to download them to your hard drive. Then use the ftp client to
    upload them to the AOL ftp site. Simple enough.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Feb 13, 2008

  3. Herbert Blenner

    Robert Jones Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Herbert Blenner wrote:
    >> My goal is to transfer hundreds of HTML files and their graphics from
    >> one FTP site to another. The source site is verizon.net and the
    >> destination is member space of AOL. Due to the quantity of files I
    >> seek a tool that will enable copy from the verizon site and paste to
    >> the AOL location.
    >>
    >> TIA, Herbert

    > Well. I don't use either Verizon or AOL. But, if they support FTP
    > (which your subject line indicates) all you need is some FTP client like
    > Cute FTP or Filezilla.
    >
    > http://www.cuteftp.com/
    > http://filezilla-project.org/
    >
    > Or Google for FTP software.
    >
    > If you don't have a mirror of the verizon.net files/folders, use the ftp
    > client to download them to your hard drive. Then use the ftp client to
    > upload them to the AOL ftp site. Simple enough.

    Uh, how about the original tool - ftp - which exists in some form on most
    systems as a commandline tool. I used to use it but now I use sftp.
    Robert Jones, Feb 13, 2008
  4. Herbert Blenner

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Robert Jones wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> Herbert Blenner wrote:
    >>> My goal is to transfer hundreds of HTML files and their graphics from
    >>> one FTP site to another. The source site is verizon.net and the
    >>> destination is member space of AOL. Due to the quantity of files I
    >>> seek a tool that will enable copy from the verizon site and paste to
    >>> the AOL location.
    >>>
    >>> TIA, Herbert

    >> Well. I don't use either Verizon or AOL. But, if they support FTP
    >> (which your subject line indicates) all you need is some FTP client like
    >> Cute FTP or Filezilla.
    >>
    >> http://www.cuteftp.com/
    >> http://filezilla-project.org/
    >>
    >> Or Google for FTP software.
    >>
    >> If you don't have a mirror of the verizon.net files/folders, use the ftp
    >> client to download them to your hard drive. Then use the ftp client to
    >> upload them to the AOL ftp site. Simple enough.
    >>

    > Uh, how about the original tool - ftp - which exists in some form on most
    > systems as a commandline tool. I used to use it but now I use sftp.

    So? URLs as a reference? What are you talking about in terms of a
    solution for the OP?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Feb 13, 2008
  5. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Herbert Blenner <>
    writing in news:2cfcfeaf-a6eb-4acb-ae38-c5f0f633eec8
    @v17g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

    > My goal is to transfer hundreds of HTML files and their graphics from
    > one FTP site to another. The source site is verizon.net and the
    > destination is member space of AOL. Due to the quantity of files I
    > seek a tool that will enable copy from the verizon site and paste to
    > the AOL location.
    >
    > TIA, Herbert

    You might try Googling for FTP between sites.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Feb 13, 2008
  6. Herbert Blenner

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Feb 12, 7:58 pm, Herbert Blenner <> wrote:
    > My goal is to transfer hundreds of HTML files and their graphics from
    > one FTP site to another. The source site is verizon.net and the
    > destination is member space of AOL. Due to the quantity of files I
    > seek a tool that will enable copy from the verizon site and paste to
    > the AOL location.
    >
    > TIA, Herbert

    Others have offered some good suggestions. Many hosts now have tools
    for moving all your files from an old site to the new site. This often
    is an extra perk to get you to use them as a host. I doubt if AOL will
    have this service, but it will not hurt to read their info carefully
    to make certain. Files usually will transfer much faster to a new host
    when it is done from old server to new server directly without having
    to download from the old server to your computer and then upload from
    your computer to the new server. Years ago there was a free service
    that would transfer files directly from one host to another, when the
    receiving host allowed. However this free service tended to be slow
    and overloaded. It was used mainly by those who could not store or
    download anything on their usually set top boxes such as early
    versions of WebTV and some other boxes used on some satellite services.
    cwdjrxyz, Feb 13, 2008
  7. Herbert Blenner

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 17:58:04 -0800 (PST), Herbert Blenner
    <> wrote:

    >My goal is to transfer hundreds of HTML files and their graphics from
    >one FTP site to another. The source site is verizon.net and the
    >destination is member space of AOL. Due to the quantity of files I
    >seek a tool that will enable copy from the verizon site and paste to
    >the AOL location.
    >
    >TIA, Herbert

    Contact verizon and see if they have a tool for that purpose.
    But why go with AO hell?
    You'd be better off with your own domain.
    richard, Feb 13, 2008
  8. On Feb 12, 9:14 pm, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    > Herbert Blenner wrote:
    > > My goal is to transfer hundreds of HTML files and their graphics from
    > > one FTP site to another. The source site is verizon.net and the
    > > destination is member space of AOL. Due to the quantity of files I
    > > seek a tool that will enable copy from the verizon site and paste to
    > > the AOL location.

    > > TIA, Herbert

    > Well.  I don't use either Verizon or AOL.  But, if they support FTP
    > (which your subject line indicates) all you need is some FTP client like
    > Cute FTP or Filezilla.
    >
    > http://www.cuteftp.com/http://filezilla-project.org/
    >
    > Or Google for FTP software.
    >
    > If you don't have a mirror of the verizon.net files/folders, use the ftp
    > client to download them to your hard drive.  Then use the ftp client to
    > upload them to the AOL ftp site.  Simple enough.
    >
    > --
    > Ed Mullenhttp://edmullen.net
    > The average woman would rather have beauty than brains because the
    > average man can see better than he can think.

    AOL allows a user to transfer files only to a special directory named
    incoming. This technique requires changing the name of the directory
    after the transfer. With nested directories this method is less than
    desirable, assuming that AOL will allow the operations.

    Herbert
    Herbert Blenner, Feb 14, 2008
  9. Herbert Blenner

    Robert Jones Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Robert Jones wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> Well. I don't use either Verizon or AOL. But, if they support FTP
    >>> (which your subject line indicates) all you need is some FTP client like
    >>> Cute FTP or Filezilla.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.cuteftp.com/
    >>> http://filezilla-project.org/
    >>>
    >>> Or Google for FTP software.
    >>>
    >>> If you don't have a mirror of the verizon.net files/folders, use the ftp
    >>> client to download them to your hard drive. Then use the ftp client to
    >>> upload them to the AOL ftp site. Simple enough.
    >>>

    >> Uh, how about the original tool - ftp - which exists in some form on most
    >> systems as a commandline tool. I used to use it but now I use sftp.

    > So? URLs as a reference? What are you talking about in terms of a
    > solution for the OP?

    You suggest he go get ftp software when he most likely has ftp already. It's
    simple, zip or tarball the files and folders to be transferred and then:

    ftp server1
    ftp>get files
    ftp>quit
    zip zipfile.zip files
    ftp server2
    ftp>put zipfile.zip
    ftp>quit

    or

    ftp server1
    ftp>get files
    ftp>quit
    tar -cjf tarball.tbz2 files
    ftp server2
    ftp>put tarball.tbz2
    ftp>quit

    That's what I meant. And if you couldn't tell I use linux most times. But
    win98 comes with ftp also(at least my old copy did). Why get a complicated
    graphical tool when you got one that works.
    Robert Jones, Feb 14, 2008
  10. Herbert Blenner

    Ben C Guest

    On 2008-02-14, Robert Jones <> wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> Robert Jones wrote:

    [...]
    >>> Uh, how about the original tool - ftp - which exists in some form on most
    >>> systems as a commandline tool. I used to use it but now I use sftp.

    >> So? URLs as a reference? What are you talking about in terms of a
    >> solution for the OP?
    >>

    > You suggest he go get ftp software when he most likely has ftp already. It's
    > simple, zip or tarball the files and folders to be transferred and then:
    >
    > ftp server1
    > ftp>get files
    > ftp>quit
    > zip zipfile.zip files
    > ftp server2
    > ftp>put zipfile.zip
    > ftp>quit
    >
    > or
    >
    > ftp server1
    > ftp>get files
    > ftp>quit
    > tar -cjf tarball.tbz2 files
    > ftp server2
    > ftp>put tarball.tbz2
    > ftp>quit
    >
    > That's what I meant. And if you couldn't tell I use linux most times. But
    > win98 comes with ftp also(at least my old copy did). Why get a complicated
    > graphical tool when you got one that works.

    I think you need mget if you want more than one file at a time, and it's
    always a good idea to issue the "binary" command before getting any
    non-text files such as zips just to be sure.

    But yes I agree it's easy (just read the manual). Many file browsers
    like Konqueror support ftp. You just put a ftp url in the location bar
    and can browse the directories. But for transferring hundreds of files
    and graphics the command line tool is likely to be a better choice.
    Ben C, Feb 14, 2008
  11. Robert Jones wrote:
    > You suggest he go get ftp software when he most likely has ftp already. It's
    > simple, zip or tarball the files and folders to be transferred and then:
    >
    > ftp server1
    > ftp>get files
    > ftp>quit
    > zip zipfile.zip files
    > ftp server2
    > ftp>put zipfile.zip
    > ftp>quit
    >
    > or
    >
    > ftp server1
    > ftp>get files
    > ftp>quit
    > tar -cjf tarball.tbz2 files
    > ftp server2
    > ftp>put tarball.tbz2
    > ftp>quit

    Why are you having him zip them in your scenario? Presumably he needs
    them to be independent files at the destination locationjust as they are
    at the source location.
    Harlan Messinger, Feb 14, 2008
  12. Herbert Blenner

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Herbert Blenner" <> wrote in message
    > My goal is to transfer hundreds of HTML files and their graphics from
    > one FTP site to another. The source site is verizon.net and the
    > destination is member space of AOL. Due to the quantity of files I
    > seek a tool that will enable copy from the verizon site and paste to
    > the AOL location.

    Unless your new host provides this as a service (which they might and it is
    worth asking) the best you will be able to do is to FTP down to your PC and
    then FTP up to the new site. A tool might wrap this up for you and give you
    the appearance that its one operation, but it will be downloading and then
    uploading. So why not use your favourite FTP tool to download everything and
    then upload as a separate step?
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Feb 15, 2008
  13. Herbert Blenner

    Robert Jones Guest

    Harlan Messinger wrote:

    > Robert Jones wrote:
    >> You suggest he go get ftp software when he most likely has ftp already.
    >> It's simple, zip or tarball the files and folders to be transferred and
    >> then:
    >>
    >> ftp server1
    >> ftp>get files
    >> ftp>quit
    >> zip zipfile.zip files
    >> ftp server2
    >> ftp>put zipfile.zip
    >> ftp>quit
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> ftp server1
    >> ftp>get files
    >> ftp>quit
    >> tar -cjf tarball.tbz2 files
    >> ftp server2
    >> ftp>put tarball.tbz2
    >> ftp>quit

    > Why are you having him zip them in your scenario? Presumably he needs
    > them to be independent files at the destination locationjust as they are
    > at the source location.

    I'm basing it on my own experience here. I don't like typing the put command
    anymore than necessary and compressing the files is a good idea if you have
    alot of them and use dial-up. Most servers I've used have a unzip
    command(the one I'm using now is a netbsd/alpha setup with tar and bzip2).
    Robert Jones, Feb 19, 2008
  14. Robert Jones wrote:
    > Harlan Messinger wrote:
    >
    >> Robert Jones wrote:
    >>> You suggest he go get ftp software when he most likely has ftp already.
    >>> It's simple, zip or tarball the files and folders to be transferred and
    >>> then:
    >>>
    >>> ftp server1
    >>> ftp>get files
    >>> ftp>quit
    >>> zip zipfile.zip files
    >>> ftp server2
    >>> ftp>put zipfile.zip
    >>> ftp>quit
    >>>
    >>> or
    >>>
    >>> ftp server1
    >>> ftp>get files
    >>> ftp>quit
    >>> tar -cjf tarball.tbz2 files
    >>> ftp server2
    >>> ftp>put tarball.tbz2
    >>> ftp>quit

    >> Why are you having him zip them in your scenario? Presumably he needs
    >> them to be independent files at the destination locationjust as they are
    >> at the source location.

    > I'm basing it on my own experience here. I don't like typing the put command
    > anymore than necessary and compressing the files is a good idea if you have
    > alot of them and use dial-up. Most servers I've used have a unzip
    > command(the one I'm using now is a netbsd/alpha setup with tar and bzip2).

    I'm still not understanding. Unless he happens to have a shell account
    on the server, he can't unzip them on the server. Most of us don't have
    shell accounts on our ISP's web server.

    If he *does* have a shell account on his servers, then he wouldn't need
    to FTP twice with is own computer as intermediary anyway. He'd just FTP
    from the old server to the new one.

    Another point: It was you who suggested, "You suggest he go get ftp
    software when he most likely has ftp already." Well, that's why it's so
    complicated under your approach--using the no-frills command-line FTP
    that comes with the OS. The GUI-based FTP clients like CuteFTP and
    Filezilla (the latter which I just downloaded last week and, so far,
    like) greatly simplify the process. Multiple files in on directory or
    multiple whole directories can be transferred in a simple click-and-drag
    operation.
    Harlan Messinger, Feb 19, 2008
  15. Herbert Blenner

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Feb 19, 12:16 am, Harlan Messinger
    <> wrote:
    > Robert Jones wrote:
    > > Harlan Messinger wrote:

    > >> Why are you having him zip them in your scenario? Presumably he needs
    > >> them to be independent files at the destination locationjust as they are
    > >> at the source location.

    > > I'm basing it on my own experience here. I don't like typing the put command
    > > anymore than necessary and compressing the files is a good idea if you have
    > > alot of them and use dial-up. Most servers I've used have a unzip
    > > command(the one I'm using now is a netbsd/alpha setup with tar and bzip2).

    > I'm still not understanding. Unless he happens to have a shell account
    > on the server, he can't unzip them on the server. Most of us don't have
    > shell accounts on our ISP's web server.
    >
    > If he *does* have a shell account on his servers, then he wouldn't need
    > to FTP twice with is own computer as intermediary anyway. He'd just FTP
    > from the old server to the new one.
    >
    > Another point: It was you who suggested, "You suggest he go get ftp
    > software when he most likely has ftp already." Well, that's why it's so
    > complicated under your approach--using the no-frills command-line FTP
    > that comes with the OS. The GUI-based FTP clients like CuteFTP and
    > Filezilla (the latter which I just downloaded last week and, so far,
    > like) greatly simplify the process. Multiple files in on directory or
    > multiple whole directories can be transferred in a simple click-and-drag
    > operation.

    The server on the host I use has a web shell where you can do many
    operations directly on the server. This often is more convenient for
    making a few changes in php files than downloading them, changing
    them, and then uploading them again. When the modified file is working
    properly, you can then download it to the computer for backup, if
    desired. There are compressors/decompressors that can be used directly
    on the server for zip, gzip, bzip. and tar zip. The compresson formats
    other than zip are perhaps more often used for files sent from one
    server to another. I usually use CuteFTP for uploading/downloading
    between the computer and server. It can download three domains on my
    site with one setting, but I usually do not go to this extreme because
    I have several GB on the server. I usually download by directories in
    the 3 domains. The advantage of CuteFTP is that it will keep trying to
    reconnect if the connection to the server is broken. This does not
    cure all problems, but it often prevents stopage. Also, for moderate
    size files, it often uploads two files at once, switching from one to
    the other as upload progresses. I assume this likely increases the
    speed of uploading.

    There is such a glut of hosts these days, that you often can find just
    the features you want at a reasonable price if you take some time to
    shop around. Of course at work, if you must use the "company store"
    server, you may have little choice in what features are on the server
    unless the person responsible for the server will listen to you and
    make changes..
    cwdjrxyz, Feb 19, 2008