Looking for good ASP.NET C# books

boostngti via DotNetMonster.com

I have 4 years of programing exp. with Coldfusion, and I am begining to
learn ASP.NET C# and was wondering if some people could suggest some good
books.

I went to Barnes & Noble the other day and kind of looked over a few book.
If anyone has read any of the following I would like to know what you thought
of the book.

Beginning ASP.NET 1.1 in C#: From Novice to Professional
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590594312/102-5465366-0562553?v=glance&n=283155&v=glance

Programming C#
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=MK4LKOJC9e&isbn=0596006993&itm=1

Learning C#
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=MK4LKOJC9e&isbn=0596003765&itm=1

Build Your Own ASP.NET Website Using C# & VB.NET
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=MK4LKOJC9e&isbn=0957921861&itm=1

Programmin Microsoft ASP.NET
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=MK4LKOJC9e&isbn=0735619034&itm=1

SAMS: Teach Yourself ASP.NET Second Edition
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=MK4LKOJC9e&isbn=0672324458&itm=1

ASP.NET Cookbook
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=MK4LKOJC9e&isbn=0596003781&itm=1

ASP.NET: Developer's Cookbook
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=MK4LKOJC9e&isbn=0672325241&itm=2

Juan T. Llibre

Whichever book you finally decide on, I'd suggest that you wait
a bit less than a month, when 2.0 is released, and you'll have a slew
of updated and new books available which will be of far more use
to you than anything you can buy now.

New classes are introduced; others are changed; others are obsolete.
There's nothing worse than reading about outdated technology.

npverni

Programming ASP.NET by Jesse Liberty is far and away the best
intro/intermediate ASP.NET book. I'd wait till the end of the month to
pick of Version 3 - which is re-written for .net 2.0.

Guest

A couple of my personal favorites are/were:

MCAD/MCSD Training Guide (70-315): Developing and Implementing Web
Applications with Visual C# and Visual Studio.NET by Kalani - even though it
is aimed at msft certification, I thought Kalani did a nice job covering many
pertinent topics for the asp.net developer - from soup to nuts, as they say.

ASP.NET Unleashed by Stephen Walther - Walther does a good job showing the
nuts and bolts of asp.net applications. I thought he covered some security
and some ado.net topics well. His first book didn't use code-behind, which
was confusing to me. But I think he changed that for subsequent edition(s).

Beginning ASP.NET 1.1 E-Commerce: From Novice to Professional by Christian
Darie, et.al. - There are not many books which cover developing for ecommerce
sites. Darie's treatment of the subject was pretty thorough (although there
are still some lapses).

Applied Microsoft .NET Framework Programming -- by Jeffrey Richter - for
insights into how the whole .net platform works. No one does it with more
depth and clarity than Richter. I liked his win32 book and I like his .net
book. If you understand this book, you understand a lot about why they do the
things they do in asp.net and C#.

I've got a couple of other books which I've like through the last couple of
years up on http://www.limbertech.com/books.aspx.

boostngti via DotNetMonster.com

Programming ASP.NET by Jesse Liberty is far and away the best
intro/intermediate ASP.NET book. I'd wait till the end of the month to
pick of Version 3 - which is re-written for .net 2.0.

I have started an new job where they use .net 1.1 C#, So this is what I need
to learn.

Jesse Liberty

Thank you for your kind words.

As part of my support for my books you can find a TOC, Index, FAQ, Errata,
the source code and related materials at my web site
(http://www.LibertyAssociates.com) - click on Books; where you will also
find a link to my free, private support forum for my books and writings.

Jesse Liberty

If you need coverage of 1.1 you can still buy copies of my book Programming
ASP.NET second edition (ISBN: 0596004877) which was written for version 1.x
(rather than the forthcoming 3rd edition which is for 2.0).

For more info, please check my web site (http://www.LibertyAssociates.com) -
click on books and scroll to the version you are interested in. (You'll also
find a TOC, Index, Sample Chapter, Errata Sheet, FAQ, the source code and a
link at the top of the page to my private free support forum).

Please also see my reply to your earlier message about picking a good book.

Jesse Liberty

There are a number of good ways to go about finding a good primer. The best,
of course is to go to a large technical book store and flip through a few
candidate primers. Each author writes differently, with a different emphasis
and a different set of priorities. You'll want to ask yourself a few
questions while examining the various candidates:

Do you like the author's writing style? Is it clear, easy to understand?
Will the author leave you with questions or does the author anticipate your
areas of confusion? Are you the target audience?

Are there enough (too few? too many?) examples? Is the complete source
code available? Every book,
no matter how carefully edited has errors. Is there an errata sheet you can
access on the web?

Another question is whether the primer offers itself as a comprehensive
reference or as a tutorial? Some rare books are excellent at both, but most
books are better as one than as the other.

You want to be sure the book you buy is targeted at the version of ASP.NET
you'll be using (2003 or 2005) and the language version you'll be using (1.x
or 2.0)

I hope you will consider my book, Programming ASP.NET (O'Reilly). The 2nd
Edition is for ASP.NET 2003 and C# or VB 1.x. The new 3rd Edition is for
ASP.NET 2005 and C# 2.0.

I did not set out to reproduce the Microsoft documentation; but rather to
tell the story of how you go about createing web applications with ASP.NET.

I do provide extensive support for my books on my web site
(http://www.LibertyAssociates.com) where you will find a sample chapter,
Table of Contents and Index and where you can buy the book at a 34%
discount. You will also find that my site provides the complete source code,
a link to the errata, and a FAQ. Finally, I offer a free private support
discussion center for questions that arise while reading my books.

Thanks and best of luck.

-j