Looking for good hosting deals for my site

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jeff, Mar 1, 2010.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Hi

    asp.net 3.5

    My site take about 3 seconds to load, as a result my site has a drop in
    google ranking from 40 to 500 (very competive niche). Google has started
    taking site peformance as a factor for ranking.

    Today my site is hosted on a shared cluster at the host, because it's shared
    the host will not enable compression or browser caching etc

    The database is MSSQL 2005, so the eventuel new host must support .NET and
    MSSQL 2005

    I talked to a support guy at webhuset.no (the host) and they said the next
    step would be to host the site on a virtual server. the entry price for that
    is $33, which I feel is very expensive. My site has a English content so I
    suppose hosting the site in United States would be better, as of now I host
    in Norway.

    (it's really frustrating to see the site drop from 40 to 500 a week after I
    got the site submitted in dir.yahoo.com, very good backlink - was hoping to
    go up to page 2 in google)

    So site performance and reliabillty is important factors here. Also is
    price - I'm looking for a good deal

    what you suggest?

    Jeff, Mar 1, 2010

  2. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Another thing about webhuset. My site was hacked under their hosting.
    suddenly .htacess files and php files appeared in my webproject. And it
    hacked my site, making it impossible to view the content. When hacked I got
    a error message asking for IISPassword... strange they who hacked manage to
    get .php to run on windows server..

    I asked the support at webhuset, and they didn't have a clue why or how it
    could be hacked. So feel like I have to check my site very often to verify
    it's in working order.. :(

    Jeff, Mar 1, 2010

  3. On Mar 1, 4:44 pm, "Jeff" <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > asp.net 3.5
    >
    > My site take about 3 seconds to load, as a result my site has a drop in
    > google ranking from 40 to 500 (very competive niche). Google has started
    > taking site peformance as a factor for ranking.
    >
    > Today my site is hosted on a shared cluster at the host, because it's shared
    > the host will not enable compression or browser caching etc
    >
    > The database is MSSQL 2005, so the eventuel new host must support .NET and
    > MSSQL 2005
    >
    > I talked to a support guy at webhuset.no (the host) and they said the next
    > step would be to host the site on a virtual server. the entry price for that
    > is $33, which I feel is very expensive. My site has a English content so I
    > suppose hosting the site in United States would be better, as of now I host
    > in Norway.
    >
    > (it's really frustrating to see the site drop from 40 to 500 a week after I
    > got the site submitted in dir.yahoo.com, very good backlink - was hoping to
    > go up to page 2 in google)
    >
    > So site performance and reliabillty is important factors here. Also is
    > price - I'm looking for a good deal
    >
    > what you suggest?

    3 seconds in browser, or for a crawler? Try to use Googles Webmaster
    Tools, you can get an idea of how long on average Google actually
    spends downloading a page from your site.

    Alexey Smirnov, Mar 1, 2010
  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Google webmaster Tools reports for my site:
    On average, pages in your site take 2.8 seconds to load (updated on Feb 28,
    2010). This is faster than 52% of sites

    When I use Page Speed in FireFix to test the speed I get 85/100, which I
    suppose is okay. The site ranked #1 in google has about 84/100.

    what you suggest?

    Jeff, Mar 1, 2010
  5. On Mar 1, 11:08 pm, "Jeff" <> wrote:
    > Google webmaster Tools reports for my site:
    > On average, pages in your site take 2.8 seconds to load (updated on Feb 28,
    > 2010). This is faster than 52% of sites
    >
    > When I use Page Speed in FireFix to test the speed I get 85/100, which I
    > suppose is okay. The site ranked #1 in google has about 84/100.
    >
    > what you suggest?
    >
    > "Alexey Smirnov" <> wrote in message

    > On Mar 1, 4:44 pm, "Jeff" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Hi

    > > asp.net 3.5

    > > My site take about 3 seconds to load, as a result my site has a drop in
    > > google ranking from 40 to 500 (very competive niche). Google has started
    > > taking site peformance as a factor for ranking.

    > > Today my site is hosted on a shared cluster at the host, because it's
    > > shared
    > > the host will not enable compression or browser caching etc

    > > The database is MSSQL 2005, so the eventuel new host must support .NET and
    > > MSSQL 2005

    > > I talked to a support guy at webhuset.no (the host) and they said the next
    > > step would be to host the site on a virtual server. the entry price for
    > > that
    > > is $33, which I feel is very expensive. My site has a English content so I
    > > suppose hosting the site in United States would be better, as of now I
    > > host
    > > in Norway.

    > > (it's really frustrating to see the site drop from 40 to 500 a week after
    > > got the site submitted in dir.yahoo.com, very good backlink - was hoping
    > > go up to page 2 in google)

    > > So site performance and reliabillty is important factors here. Also is
    > > price - I'm looking for a good deal

    > > what you suggest?

    > 3 seconds in browser, or for a crawler? Try to use Googles Webmaster
    > Tools, you can get an idea of how long on average Google actually
    > spends downloading a page from your site.- Hide quoted text -

    If I google for site performance as a factor for ranking, I cannot
    find any source that says anything other than performance could be
    used later in 2010. So, I don't think that the drop is because of
    performance. And "faster than 52% of sites" sounds good to me.

    Alexey Smirnov, Mar 2, 2010