looking for good ms windows newsgroup

Squid Seven

can somebody suggest a good newsgroup to ask questions specific to
dealing with the windowing api in c++ - seems like it would be a little
off-topic in this forum, but I can't find a decent alternative.

James Aguilar

Ian McCulloch said:
Isn't that equivalent to simply saying 'usenet' ? I can't think of a more
useless answer to a legitimate question!

What he's saying is, "Do your own searching." On groups.google.com, a
search "windows programming" brings up a ton of groups that answer the
question.

A question is not legitimate if it requires the answerer to do work that the
asker could easily do himself. If the asker has tried and failed to find
what he needs, then it is legitimate, but there is no data to indicate that
this was so. Plus, giving an asker a place to find an answer is a
legitimate answer to the (in this case) illegitimate question.

- JFA1

Squid Seven

What I found, mostly, in the web searches I did before posting to this
group, was web-accessible posts TO this group regarding the
inappropriateness of posting such questions here (regarding the windows
API). Several newsgroups I did find had a very low frequency of posting
- maybe once a week. As I have always found this newsgroup to be a very
helpful place to post questions regarding C++ and as the appropriateness
of windows API questions in the group had apparently been much
discussed, I figured it would be a good resource to ask a short, simple
question as to where previous posters would be redirected. I figured
such a post was no more off-topic or innapropriate than wasting people's
time discussing the appropriateness of posts or the answers thereto. I
shall waste no more of your time. (bows humbly)

Ioannis Vranos

Squid said:
can somebody suggest a good newsgroup to ask questions specific to
dealing with the windowing api in c++ - seems like it would be a little
off-topic in this forum, but I can't find a decent alternative.

Try microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc newsgroup.

Also better use the public MS news server:

msnews.microsoft.com

Phlip

Ian said:
Isn't that equivalent to simply saying 'usenet' ? I can't think of a more
useless answer to a legitimate question!

The odds that anyone aware of that web site would ask "suggest a good
newsgroup" for anything are very low.

Further, Google's ranking system is sophisticated enough I would trust it
with an exact question better than I would trust _this_ newsgroup!

Phlip

Squid said:
What I found, mostly, in the web searches I did before posting to this
group, was web-accessible posts TO this group regarding the
inappropriateness of posting such questions here (regarding the windows
API). Several newsgroups I did find had a very low frequency of posting
- maybe once a week.

Microsoft pays its drones to work the newsgroups, so low-frequency groups
will get answers in due time. This helps MS's policy of generating a new
newsgroup for every permutation of every feature they develop, regardless of
the group's potential popularity...

When in doubt, cross-post to the two or three most likely groups. (For
example, "why does IE flicker when..." might have an IE answer, an ActiveX
answer, or a GDI answer.)

Uenal Mutlu

Squid Seven said:
can somebody suggest a good newsgroup to ask questions specific to
dealing with the windowing api in c++ - seems like it would be a little
off-topic in this forum, but I can't find a decent alternative.

MS-specific questions should be posted in MS-specific newsgroups.
Here you can find a list of MS newsgroups:
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp
You can access it also in your newsreader. The name of the server is
msnews.microsoft.com or news.microsoft.com
See also the newsgroups list of your ISPs news server.

Ioannis Vranos

Alan said:
s/b news.microsoft.com

I am using msnews.microsoft.com myself. I did not know news.microsoft.com was also available.

What s/b stands for?

John Carson

Squid Seven said:
can somebody suggest a good newsgroup to ask questions specific to
dealing with the windowing api in c++ - seems like it would be a
little off-topic in this forum, but I can't find a decent alternative.

microsoft.public.vc.language
microsoft.public.win32.programmer.ui

John Carson

Ioannis Vranos said:
Try microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc newsgroup.

I think people asking about C++ are far better directed to

microsoft.public.vc.language

since much of the material on

microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc

is concerned with "C++/CLI", which is not C++.

Alan Brown

I am using msnews.microsoft.com myself. I did not know
news.microsoft.com was also available.

What s/b stands for?

You are right - you can have either msnews or news.micorsoft.com - sorry

s/b = should be :)

Alan