Looking for good Ruby and Rails configuration for vim

Xeno Campanoli

I am afraid I really like vi, but I would like some syntax highlighting,
indentation, and block skeleton stuff like Dave and David recommend on
page 27 of their agile book. I wonder if I make a wish here whether
some wonderful guru might post the vim configuration from heaven for
Rails and Ruby???

Sincerely, Xeno

Martin DeMello

I am afraid I really like vi, but I would like some syntax highlighting,
indentation, and block skeleton stuff like Dave and David recommend on
page 27 of their agile book. I wonder if I make a wish here whether
some wonderful guru might post the vim configuration from heaven for
Rails and Ruby???

first, get the vim-ruby gem:

gem install vim-ruby

then go through the following guide and see what else seems useful:

http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowtoUseVimWithRails

martin

Arlen Cuss

I have these set in my local .vimrc:

set sw=2
set smartindent
set smarttab

It sets two space 'virtual' tabs (so when you hit tab, it inserts two
spaces, and when you hit backspace on whitespace at the beginning of the
line, it takes two spaces - series of 8 are converted to real tabs). In my
global vimrc, these are set:

syntax on
set showcmd
set showmatch
set smartcase
set incsearch
set mouse=a

This enables syntax highlighting, shows commands as you type them in the
status bar, highlights matched text as you enter it while searching (with
`/'), sets the case matching to `smart' (no idea about the semantics, try
:help smartcase), sets searches to start from where your cursor is, and
enables mouse usage in consoles that allow it.

Cheers,
Arlen.

Xeno Campanoli

Arlen said:
[...]