looking for good tutorials/books for advanced beginners

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dobi, Jan 25, 2012.

  1. Dobi

    Dobi Guest

    Hi,

    a few month ago I began to learn Python. I have read and understood
    the following tutorials so far:
    http://docs.python.org/py3k/tutorial/index.html
    http://docs.python.org/release/3.2/howto/functional.html
    http://docs.python.org/release/3.2/howto/doanddont.html
    http://docs.python.org/release/3.2/howto/logging.html
    http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/

    From a pracitcal perspective I solved 62 of the easier problems from
    http://projecteuler.net and coded some mini programs:
    - small prisoners dilemma tournament: different strategies compete
    (forgiving tit for tat wins of course in the end ;)) (P3) ->
    http://daiw.de/BlogFiles/PrisonersDilemma.py
    - a short simulation of the lorenz waterwheel with turtle output of
    the phase space trajectory (P3) -> http://daiw.de/BlogFiles/LorenzWaterwheel.py
    - a simple neural network (MLP), that trains with backpropagation and
    can be plottet (again with the turtle :D) (P3) -> http://daiw.de/BlogFiles/NeuralNetwork.py
    - Conway's Game of Life with OpenCV (P2) -> http://daiw.de/BlogFiles/GoL.py
    - some parsers for different log files with graphical output using
    MatPlotLib (P2)

    I am not planning to do bigger projects at the moment, but I would
    love to learn more about Python because I like it and I have fun with
    it. I guess that especially in OOP stuff I still think to much in C++
    style, because that's where I come from. What tutorials/books can you
    recomment to me based on my current experience? Something with the
    difficulty level of "Effecive C++" but just for Python could fit.
    I linked my source codes, because perhaps they give directly on the
    first glance a hint where my biggest weaknesses are and what I should
    learn next.

    Regards
    Dobi

    Dobi, Jan 25, 2012