    I would like to validate/edit in the same window.

    Thanks in advance!
    MC

    MC, Mar 12, 2008

  2. MC

    Chris Hughes Guest

    >Hi,
    >
    >Are there any good free or cheap HTML editors that will do W3C validations?
    >
    >I would like to validate/edit in the same window.
    >
    >Thanks in advance!
    >MC

    TopStyle Pro is my choice. Not free.
    --
    Chris Hughes
    "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds

    Chris Hughes, Mar 12, 2008

  3. MC

    MC Guest

    Chris,

    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I looked at this and TopStyle just does not cut it. The editor / viewer does
    a poor job rendering the page correctly.
    I am still looking.
    MC

    MC, Mar 15, 2008
  4. On Mar 12, 9:57 am, "MC" <mica[removethis]@aisus.com> wrote:
    > Are there any good free or cheap HTML editors that will do W3C validations?

    You get what you pay for.

    Travis Newbury, Mar 15, 2008
  5. MC

    dorayme Guest

    In article <1dee$47dbc50c$471c8804$>,
    "MC" <mica[removethis]@aisus.com> wrote:

    > I looked at this and TopStyle just does not cut it. The editor / viewer does
    > a poor job rendering the page correctly.

    In what way?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 15, 2008
  6. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "MC" <mica[removethis]@aisus.com>
    writing in news:6e76a$47d7e133$471c8804$:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Are there any good free or cheap HTML editors that will do W3C
    > validations?
    >
    > I would like to validate/edit in the same window.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    > MC

    You could try HTML-Kit [http://www.chami.com/html-kit], which has HTML-
    Tidy included with it. Tidy is a lint checker, and not a real
    validator, but it _will_ get you going, and can pretty your markup, if
    you so desire. There are also a ton of plugins available (and you can
    write your own), saves snippets and templates, and works with Top-Style
    Lite for CSS. Oh, and it's free.

    Since a lot of stuff I write is server side, I usually edit in HTML-Kit,
    then open the rendered page in Opera and validate from there. You can
    validate local files, or files that are on a server.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 15, 2008
  7. MC

    Chris Hughes Guest

    In message
    <>, dorayme
    <> writes
    >In article <1dee$47dbc50c$471c8804$>,
    > "MC" <mica[removethis]@aisus.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I looked at this and TopStyle just does not cut it. The editor / viewer does
    >> a poor job rendering the page correctly.

    >In what way?

    Yes -- I'd like to know that, too. As far as I know TopStyle Pro uses
    the rendering engine of your local version of MSIE by default. Or you
    can, as I often do, preview in whatever external browser (e.g., Opera)
    you have.

    Chris Hughes, Mar 16, 2008
  8. MC

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Chris Hughes <> wrote:

    > In message
    > <>, dorayme
    > <> writes
    > >In article <1dee$47dbc50c$471c8804$>,
    > > "MC" <mica[removethis]@aisus.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I looked at this and TopStyle just does not cut it. The editor / viewer
    > >> does
    > >> a poor job rendering the page correctly.

    > >In what way?
    > >

    > Yes -- I'd like to know that, too. As far as I know TopStyle Pro uses
    > the rendering engine of your local version of MSIE by default. Or you
    > can, as I often do, preview in whatever external browser (e.g., Opera)
    > you have.

    Not that I know much about it, but it is on this winbox someone
    gave me and it enables me to change things in the css and html to
    see how to fix the various things that IE 6 does to my best
    efforts at website pages. Perhaps there is better?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 16, 2008
  9. MC

    Ben C Guest

    On 2008-03-16, Chris Hughes <> wrote:
    > In message
    ><>, dorayme
    ><> writes
    >>In article <1dee$47dbc50c$471c8804$>,
    >> "MC" <mica[removethis]@aisus.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I looked at this and TopStyle just does not cut it. The editor / viewer does
    >>> a poor job rendering the page correctly.

    >>In what way?
    >>

    > Yes -- I'd like to know that, too. As far as I know TopStyle Pro uses
    > the rendering engine of your local version of MSIE by default.

    That would explain why it does a poor job of rendering the page
    correctly then.

    > Or you can, as I often do, preview in whatever external browser (e.g.,
    > Opera) you have.

    This seems the obvious way to do things anyway-- why embed a browser
    into a text editor?

    Ben C, Mar 16, 2008
  10. MC

    MC Guest

    The page renders correctly in IE 7 but not in TopStyle.

    In TopStyle, the page gets all jumbled up. One issue that is immediately
    apparent, is that TopStyle seems to be scrunching up the width of the
    viewing area so that text appears on top of text. This makes the pages
    practically unreadable. This example is a complex 6 page form.

    I would love to post you a sample but unfortunately its internal company
    user content. This is as much as I can post:

    9px; TEXT-ALIGN: left; Z-INDEX: 15; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial;
    POSITION: absolute;">
    City</span>
    <input class="tx120UW" style="LEFT: 490px; WIDTH: 120px; TOP: 339px;
    HEIGHT: 16px; POSITION: absolute; TEXT-ALIGN: left;" maxlength="40"
    name='city' />

    MC

    MC, Mar 16, 2008
  11. MC

    MC Guest

    Thanks Adrienne,
    We are in the process of trying to decide the best way to validate
    everything. We will look at that.
    MC

    MC, Mar 16, 2008
  12. MC

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ben C <> wrote:

    > On 2008-03-16, Chris Hughes <> wrote:
    > > In message
    > ><>, dorayme
    > ><> writes

    > >>In what way?
    > >>

    > > Yes -- I'd like to know that, too. As far as I know TopStyle Pro uses
    > > the rendering engine of your local version of MSIE by default.

    > That would explain why it does a poor job of rendering the page
    > correctly then.

    *If* it does a poor job. I have yet to see one thing it renders
    in the preview that it does not render the same in IE 6 itself. I
    have had suspicions and cussed and cussed but never have I
    confirmed them and always find that a save or a refresh
    eventually gets them same. It is always IE 6 that is to blame for
    all the world's woes, never a single thing else!

    I have noticed you can configure how the browser preview appears,
    side by side to the code or underneath/beneath. This makes a
    difference to how things are rendered because it introduces the
    factor of browser width. It may not occur to OP that when looking
    at the IE itself, he might have it landscape as natural but in
    Topstyle, not so ... I am afraid I can't make head or tail of his
    response later in the thread?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 16, 2008
  13. MC

    MarkSatterfield

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Messages:
    10
    Location:
    Central Florida
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
    MarkSatterfield, Mar 16, 2008
  14. MC

    Ben C Guest

    On 2008-03-16, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Ben C <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-03-16, Chris Hughes <> wrote:
    >> > In message
    >> ><>, dorayme
    >> ><> writes

    >> > Yes -- I'd like to know that, too. As far as I know TopStyle Pro uses
    >> > the rendering engine of your local version of MSIE by default.

    >> That would explain why it does a poor job of rendering the page
    >> correctly then.

    > *If* it does a poor job. I have yet to see one thing it renders
    > in the preview that it does not render the same in IE 6 itself.

    All I meant was IE is known to do a poor job of rendering, not that it
    should be any worse when embedded into TopStyle Pro, although it might
    be for all I know.

    Ben C, Mar 17, 2008
  15. MC

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ben C <> wrote:

    > On 2008-03-16, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > Ben C <> wrote:

    > >> That would explain why it does a poor job of rendering the page
    > >> correctly then.

    > > *If* it does a poor job. I have yet to see one thing it renders
    > > in the preview that it does not render the same in IE 6 itself.

    > All I meant was IE is known to do a poor job of rendering, not that it
    > should be any worse when embedded into TopStyle Pro, although it might
    > be for all I know.

    Ah! An excellent point then, one with which I have not a single
    reservation.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 17, 2008