Looking for HTML Editor/Validator

MC

Hi,

Are there any good free or cheap HTML editors that will do W3C validations?

I would like to validate/edit in the same window.

Thanks in advance!
MC

Chris Hughes

Hi,
Are there any good free or cheap HTML editors that will do W3C validations?

I would like to validate/edit in the same window.

Thanks in advance!
MC
TopStyle Pro is my choice. Not free.

MC

Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion.
I looked at this and TopStyle just does not cut it. The editor / viewer does
a poor job rendering the page correctly.
I am still looking.
MC

Adrienne Boswell

Hi,

Are there any good free or cheap HTML editors that will do W3C
validations?

I would like to validate/edit in the same window.

Thanks in advance!
MC

You could try HTML-Kit [http://www.chami.com/html-kit], which has HTML-
Tidy included with it. Tidy is a lint checker, and not a real
validator, but it _will_ get you going, and can pretty your markup, if
you so desire. There are also a ton of plugins available (and you can
write your own), saves snippets and templates, and works with Top-Style
Lite for CSS. Oh, and it's free.

Since a lot of stuff I write is server side, I usually edit in HTML-Kit,
then open the rendered page in Opera and validate from there. You can
validate local files, or files that are on a server.

Chris Hughes

In message
dorayme said:
In what way?
Yes -- I'd like to know that, too. As far as I know TopStyle Pro uses
the rendering engine of your local version of MSIE by default. Or you
can, as I often do, preview in whatever external browser (e.g., Opera)
you have.

dorayme

Chris Hughes said:
In message

Yes -- I'd like to know that, too. As far as I know TopStyle Pro uses
the rendering engine of your local version of MSIE by default. Or you
can, as I often do, preview in whatever external browser (e.g., Opera)
you have.

Not that I know much about it, but it is on this winbox someone
gave me and it enables me to change things in the css and html to
see how to fix the various things that IE 6 does to my best
efforts at website pages. Perhaps there is better?

Ben C

In message

Yes -- I'd like to know that, too. As far as I know TopStyle Pro uses
the rendering engine of your local version of MSIE by default.

That would explain why it does a poor job of rendering the page
correctly then.
Or you can, as I often do, preview in whatever external browser (e.g.,
Opera) you have.

This seems the obvious way to do things anyway-- why embed a browser
into a text editor?

MC

The page renders correctly in IE 7 but not in TopStyle.

In TopStyle, the page gets all jumbled up. One issue that is immediately
apparent, is that TopStyle seems to be scrunching up the width of the
viewing area so that text appears on top of text. This makes the pages
practically unreadable. This example is a complex 6 page form.

I would love to post you a sample but unfortunately its internal company
user content. This is as much as I can post:

9px; TEXT-ALIGN: left; Z-INDEX: 15; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial;
POSITION: absolute;">
City</span>
<input class="tx120UW" style="LEFT: 490px; WIDTH: 120px; TOP: 339px;
HEIGHT: 16px; POSITION: absolute; TEXT-ALIGN: left;" maxlength="40"
name='city' />

MC

MC

Thanks Adrienne,
We are in the process of trying to decide the best way to validate
everything. We will look at that.
MC

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

dorayme

Ben C said:
That would explain why it does a poor job of rendering the page
correctly then.

*If* it does a poor job. I have yet to see one thing it renders
in the preview that it does not render the same in IE 6 itself. I
have had suspicions and cussed and cussed but never have I
confirmed them and always find that a save or a refresh
eventually gets them same. It is always IE 6 that is to blame for
all the world's woes, never a single thing else!

I have noticed you can configure how the browser preview appears,
side by side to the code or underneath/beneath. This makes a
difference to how things are rendered because it introduces the
factor of browser width. It may not occur to OP that when looking
at the IE itself, he might have it landscape as natural but in
Topstyle, not so ... I am afraid I can't make head or tail of his
response later in the thread?

Ben C

*If* it does a poor job. I have yet to see one thing it renders
in the preview that it does not render the same in IE 6 itself.

All I meant was IE is known to do a poor job of rendering, not that it
should be any worse when embedded into TopStyle Pro, although it might
be for all I know.

dorayme

Ben C said:
All I meant was IE is known to do a poor job of rendering, not that it
should be any worse when embedded into TopStyle Pro, although it might
be for all I know.

Ah! An excellent point then, one with which I have not a single
reservation.