Looking for html -> text convertor and index generator

Spartanicus

Can anyone recommend a good *batch* html -> text convertor? I'm looking
for something that generates formatted text that if possible reflects
the original display to make it easier to redo the markup by using S&R.

I'm also looking for a utility that can generate a list with links and
target id's based on the header structure of a document.

Windows executables, freeware preferred, command line utils are fine.

brucie

In alt.html Spartanicus said:
Can anyone recommend a good *batch* html -> text convertor?

the brain. unfortunately i lent mine out a few years ago and it never
came back but when i was using it it was far superior than any attempt
at automating the process.

start again from scratch (and charge double) you'll get a much better
end product.

rf

rf said:
?

Load it into word and save it as text then load it into notepad and start
fiddling.

Oops. Just saw the word batch in your OP.

You can very easily craft a, for example, VB program to drive word in a sort
of "batch" mode.

Leif K-Brooks

Spartanicus said:
Can anyone recommend a good *batch* html -> text convertor?

You could try lynx's -dump option with a quick shell script for the
batch part.

Andy Dingley

Can anyone recommend a good *batch* html -> text convertor?

[complicated stuff it needs to do too]

XSLT

Oh, sorry you wanted HTML conversion, not XHTML. This is just the
sort of reason I'm always banging on about XHTML being a good thing
for content authors who encounter this sort of task.

For HTML I'd use Perl and your favourite HTML parsing module. But it's
a thankless task.

David Dorward

Pah, you've got all the text parsing abilities of Perl to your disposal,
and you're expecting me to insert the header id's manually?

Auto addition of ids on headings which don't have them already is a feature
I've been planning to stick in the next release for a while. One year I
might get round to making another release :)