Looking for Ideas - multiple long running stored procedures

Elmo Watson

I'm part of a team that has been given a project that I'm a little lost on,
so I'm looking for input on how this could be accomplished. We don't have
much time to fully develop this, so it has to be as simple as possible

Let's say we have 5 - 10 existing stored procedures (that can't be changed)
that are run manually, once a month

We are tasked to build a web interface, which will list each item (sproc),
and include a label showing the progress (running, error, finished) --
All except the current item will be disabled (this I know how to do easily
enough, so don't worry about that)

The problem is - if I click on a button and the code kicks off to run the
item's stored procedure, what are the possibilities available to 'poll' the
method that was run, to see if it received an error or if it's still
running, or if it's finished?

Ideas?

George Ter-Saakov

I would create an SQL jobs out of them and then use SQL to start job or
check status

See sp_help_jobhistory, sp_start_job

George.

Elmo Watson

I don't need or want a progress bar - for all I care, it could be an
asynchronous call
I just need to page to be able to know when the stored procedure is
finished, by making the labels change accordingly, when it's finished.