Looking for Ideas - multiple long running stored procedures

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Elmo Watson, Jul 20, 2007.

  1. Elmo Watson

    Elmo Watson Guest

    I'm part of a team that has been given a project that I'm a little lost on,
    so I'm looking for input on how this could be accomplished. We don't have
    much time to fully develop this, so it has to be as simple as possible

    Let's say we have 5 - 10 existing stored procedures (that can't be changed)
    that are run manually, once a month

    We are tasked to build a web interface, which will list each item (sproc),
    and include a label showing the progress (running, error, finished) --
    All except the current item will be disabled (this I know how to do easily
    enough, so don't worry about that)

    The problem is - if I click on a button and the code kicks off to run the
    item's stored procedure, what are the possibilities available to 'poll' the
    method that was run, to see if it received an error or if it's still
    running, or if it's finished?

    Ideas?
    Elmo Watson, Jul 20, 2007

  2. I would create an SQL jobs out of them and then use SQL to start job or
    check status

    See sp_help_jobhistory, sp_start_job

    George.

    George Ter-Saakov, Jul 20, 2007

  3. Elmo Watson

    sloan Guest

    You can read this post:
    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...bScheduleUpdate sloan&rnum=1#17381c156f5c5b2f

    but getting a progress bar will be tough.

    Knowing whether its started/not started/done is not that hard.

    sloan, Jul 20, 2007
  4. Elmo Watson

    Elmo Watson Guest

    I don't need or want a progress bar - for all I care, it could be an
    asynchronous call
    I just need to page to be able to know when the stored procedure is
    finished, by making the labels change accordingly, when it's finished.

    Elmo Watson, Jul 21, 2007
  5. Elmo Watson

    Elmo Watson Guest

    How can I use that to help update the web page?

    Elmo Watson, Jul 24, 2007