Looking for IT Project

Stalin

Hello,
Group of four people, who enrolled in the final year of Bachelor of
Information System in AB, Canada, is looking for client to perform IT
project for. It is no charge service for our final Software Development
project.
We are in Software Engineering major and planning to produce the following:

1. Requirements Analysis
2. Specification Document, SDLC Analysis
3. Detailed Plan
4. System Implementation/Construction
5. Maintenance

The highlight of our skills is as follows: .NET, J2EE, J2ME, C#, Web
Development (e-Commerce), SQL, Oracle, Software Testing and Maintenance etc

Timeline: Sep,2005 - Apr,2006
Expectations: The project has to be of sufficient scope.

If you have a project idea or possible client don't hesitate to contact us
at: (e-mail address removed)

Thanks

Andrew Thompson

Group of four people, who enrolled in the final year of Bachelor of
Information System in AB, Canada, is looking for client to perform IT
project for.

Do you specifcally need, 'a client'?
Roedy has collected together a series of ideas for projects,
but there is no definitive 'client' involved..
If you have a project idea or possible client don't hesitate to contact us

Don't hesitate to check the thread you started.

jan V

Hello,
Group of four people, who enrolled in the final year of Bachelor of
Information System in AB, Canada, is looking for client to perform IT
project for. It is no charge service for our final Software Development
project.

Few people in the real world having hard requirements will consider a group
of students giving away their time. If people have requirements that truly
need fulfilling, they're going to want the legal framework of a contract so
that they can rest assured in the knowledge they had some legal remedies
against non-performance of the team they hired.

Maybe you could make your offer known to charity organizations.. they
usually have no cash for such developments, and you'd be helping people most
in need.

Jeru-San

Many thanks for that link Roedy, As a final year software development
student desperately searching for idea's on a challenging project. I
found your links very useful

btw, if anyone else has a problem or case study (possibly centered
around AI algorithms or fuzzy logic) I would be grateful for your
suggestions

Ron Sibayan

Stalin

jan V said:
Few people in the real world having hard requirements will consider a
group
of students giving away their time. If people have requirements that truly
need fulfilling, they're going to want the legal framework of a contract
so
that they can rest assured in the knowledge they had some legal remedies
against non-performance of the team they hired.

Maybe you could make your offer known to charity organizations.. they
usually have no cash for such developments, and you'd be helping people
most
in need.
Thanks for replies. You guys been really helpful. The problem is we do need
to have real clients otherwise Roedy's web site would be awesome.
We already contacted some of the charities, everything they need is not
sufficient scope:(. I wouldn't helping them out for sure

Andrew Thompson

We already contacted some of the charities, everything they need is not
sufficient scope:(. I wouldn't helping them out for sure

Perhaps the charities are used to not asking for too much,
for free. Have you mad it clear to them that you would
tackle a 'meaty' project for them?

On another line.

Perhaps you need yo take a project they suggest and use
your imagination to *expand* it into a more complex one.
After all, if you ask most users 'Would you also like it if
the program did..?', answer 'Yep', or 'Is that even possible?!'.

The end user will hardly know what is possible until you
explain it to them in terms of what it can *do* for them,
as opposed to 'we can build a system with (insert buzzword/
tech. term here)'.

Patricia Shanahan

Andrew said:
Perhaps the charities are used to not asking for too much,
for free. Have you mad it clear to them that you would
tackle a 'meaty' project for them?

On another line.

Perhaps you need yo take a project they suggest and use
your imagination to *expand* it into a more complex one.
After all, if you ask most users 'Would you also like it if
the program did..?', answer 'Yep', or 'Is that even possible?!'.

The end user will hardly know what is possible until you
explain it to them in terms of what it can *do* for them,
as opposed to 'we can build a system with (insert buzzword/
tech. term here)'.

This has a big advantage from the point of view of software development
process as iterative risk reduction. Begin by building the minimal
system that the client originally wanted. Once that is working and
accepted by the client, you have eliminated the risk of failing to
produce anything useful in the permitted time.

You can then work on things the client didn't know they could get until
you suggested them.

Patricia

Roedy Green

btw, if anyone else has a problem or case study (possibly centered
around AI algorithms or fuzzy logic) I would be grateful for your
suggestions

Here are a few:

1. licence place OCR
2. biometric id.
3. screen scrape -- take a screen bit image and find the text in it.
You have the advantage of knowing the possible fonts and their exact
bit mappings.
4. image finding. Find me an image on the web "similar" to this one.
Let me rate findings to help it do better digging.
5. find me a program that does X. -- a conversational dialog that
gradually helps refine the search.
6. optimal disk defragging, without being compulsive.
7. house plant problem diagnoser.

Roedy Green

You can then work on things the client didn't know they could get until
you suggested them.

Over the years most of my clients have been charities. They get burned
over and over by some hotshot coming in, changing everything, leaving
no notes and then burning out and leaving.

Charities are thus very nervous about anything grandiose.

Andrew Thompson

Over the years most of my clients have been charities. They get burned
over and over by some hotshot coming in, changing everything, leaving
no notes and then burning out and leaving.

Charities are thus very nervous about anything grandiose.

Good point, that's probably why Patricia suggested..
"..Begin by building the minimal system that the client
originally wanted. "

Once the client has their 'minimal' system, they can see
the quality of your documentation, they can see the system
working in production, and it gives them the confidence
to authorise the extra bits.

It might be, this approach is unsuitable for the college
project, as they might need to set the requirements 'in stone'
prior to 'cutting code' - which would be unfortunate.