Looking for Java mapping programe(XML --> Relatinal database schema)

Discussion in 'XML' started by Heejeong Lee, May 25, 2004.

  1. Heejeong Lee

    Heejeong Lee Guest

    I am going to begin following project

    Description of the project:

    One of the proposed ways of storing XML is to "shred" the structure of
    the XML document and
    insert it into a relational DBMS. To do this, I will consider the
    query
    workload over the XML document. The purpose of this project is to
    identify a cost-based approach to
    XML decomposition taking into account a query workload. Different
    query workloads will lead to
    different decompositions of the same XML document.

    For starting, I am looking for Java sauce code( XML - > RDB schema).
    And then I will make a query specific algoritm and use it with Java
    mapping program
    to generate RDB schema.

    So, my questions:
    1) Is there a java mapping programe (an xml file to a database)?
    2) Is there any available algorithm to use for this?

    Any comments will be appreciated!!
    Thanks,
    aprilcoco

    Heejeong Lee, May 25, 2004

  2. Heejeong Lee

    GIMME Guest

    > Description of the project:
    >
    > One of the proposed ways of storing XML is to "shred" the structure of
    > the XML document and insert it into a relational DBMS.

    Which DBMS? Oracle 9 has lots of XML toys ...

    >To do this, I will consider the query workload over the XML document.

    Translate again please. "query workload over the xml document" is unclear.

    > The purpose of this project is to identify a cost-based approach to
    > XML decomposition taking into account a query workload.

    What kind of cost?

    > Different query workloads will lead to different decompositions of

    the same XML document.

    So you expect to load lots of documents and to have users make queries
    over them in different ways?

    > For starting, I am looking for Java sauce code( XML - > RDB schema).

    What kind of source code do you want ? A program using metadata which
    fetched a List of JDOM elements using JDBC 2.0 meta data can be written
    by hand in a few minutes.

    > And then I will make a query specific algoritm and use it with Java
    > mapping program to generate RDB schema.

    If you have a real budget, check out Enginium.

    > So, my questions:
    > 1) Is there a java mapping programe (an xml file to a database)?

    If you want to see the JDOM/JDBC quick version let me know ...

    GIMME, May 25, 2004

  3. Heejeong Lee

    David Harper Guest

    Re: Looking for Java mapping programe(XML --> Relatinal databaseschema)

    Heejeong Lee wrote:
    > For starting, I am looking for Java sauce code( XML - > RDB schema).
    > And then I will make a query specific algoritm and use it with Java
    > mapping program
    > to generate RDB schema.
    >
    > So, my questions:
    > 1) Is there a java mapping programe (an xml file to a database)?
    > 2) Is there any available algorithm to use for this?

    Google is your friend. Try Googling on "java xml dbms mapping" and
    you'll be pleasantly surprised at all the options open to you, both
    commercial and open source.

    David Harper
    Cambridge, England

    David Harper, May 25, 2004
  4. Heejeong Lee

    Heejeong Lee Guest

    Thank you for interesting of my posting(Looking for Java mapping
    programe(XML --> Relatinal database schema).
    I am condiderting using PostgreSQL. But it doesn't matter. Because I
    just want to generate
    RDB schema. I don't need to connect DB.

    "query workload over the xml document" means different query will lead
    to different RDB schema
    even xml file is the same. I think that I should make query specific
    algorithm for this.

    What is JDOM/JDBC quick version ? Can I get it?

    Thanks

    Heejeong Lee, May 26, 2004
  5. Heejeong Lee

    Andy Dingley Guest

    (Heejeong Lee) wrote in message news:<>...

    > One of the proposed ways of storing XML is to "shred" the structure of
    > the XML document and insert it into a relational DBMS.

    Boring !

    Look at a more interesting data model, like RDF. Look at some
    exciting sort of database model other than RDBMS. But "Store XML in a
    COTS RDBMS" has been done to death any number of times over the last
    half-decade.

    Andy Dingley, May 26, 2004