looking for library to convert intel hex

steve

Hi,
I'm looking for a java library to convert intel hex into it's binary so i
can download it to a usb device.

basically in need the routine to return the:
address to write
byte array of hex data
good/bad checksum.

Anyone seen a library on their travels.
steve

Daniel Pitts

steve said:
Hi,
I'm looking for a java library to convert intel hex into it's binary so i
can download it to a usb device.
I didn't know intel [sic] had its own hex. Generially,
Integer.parseInt(hexString, 16) is likely to do what you want.
basically in need the routine to return the:
address to write
byte array of hex data
good/bad checksum.

Anyone seen a library on their travels.
steve
Seems pretty straight forward, perhaps you should write your own if you
can't find one on google. Or, higher a contractor to write it for you.
For this problem, I'm available for the discounted rate of $100/hr. not
a joke, nor sarcasm.

Hope this helps,
Daniel.

Daniel Pitts

Lew said:
Based on what I've seen of your posts, this is a heavily discounted rate
from what you're worth. Should someone pay you ten times that, they'd
be getting a discount. It could be the smartest business decision for
the OP this year to take you up on your offer.
Thank you Lew, I appreciate the flattery :) My day job pays me less
than that, but gives decent benefits. One being steady work :) It is
unfortunate that many employers have difficulty promoting someone based
on merits, rather than the typical "hours spent".

Oh, and to the OP, I looked up "Intel HEX", and the format is pretty
straight forward, if Wikipedia is to be believed.

steve

steve said:
Hi,
I'm looking for a java library to convert intel hex into it's binary so i
can download it to a usb device.
I didn't know intel [sic] had its own hex. Generially,
Integer.parseInt(hexString, 16) is likely to do what you want.
basically in need the routine to return the:
address to write
byte array of hex data
good/bad checksum.

Anyone seen a library on their travels.
steve
Seems pretty straight forward, perhaps you should write your own if you
can't find one on google. Or, higher a contractor to write it for you.
For this problem, I'm available for the discounted rate of $100/hr. not
a joke, nor sarcasm.

Hope this helps,
Daniel.

Do you always attempt to talk authoritivly about things you obviously know
nothing about, or is it that you just like the sound of your own keyboard?

$100/hr. LOL that is a laugh, obviously it's not US$

Daniel Pitts

steve said:
steve said:
[...]

I don't think I've ever claimed to be authoritative on this subject.
Although it took me 20 seconds on google to figure out what you were
asking, and it would probably take 10 minutes to implement an "Intel
HEX" parser. As for "downloading" to a USB devices, that's not quite as
easy, and most likely platform specific. It may even be USB device
specific.
$100/hr. LOL that is a laugh, obviously it's not US$
It is a discounted rate, so that is why it might seem funny. Especially
with the falling value of the USD. Feel free to pay in Gold.

Arne Vajhøj

Daniel said:
steve said:
steve wrote:
I'm looking for a java library to convert intel hex into it's
binary so i can download it to a usb device.
I didn't know intel [sic] had its own hex. Generially,
Integer.parseInt(hexString, 16) is likely to do what you want.
For this problem, I'm available for the discounted rate of $100/hr.
not a joke, nor sarcasm.
Do you always attempt to talk authoritivly about things you obviously
know nothing about, or is it that you just like the sound of your own
keyboard?
I don't think I've ever claimed to be authoritative on this subject.
Although it took me 20 seconds on google to figure out what you were
asking, and it would probably take 10 minutes to implement an "Intel
HEX" parser.

Well - as Roland pointed out then Intel does have its own hex
format.

And it is obviously from the >>> quoted that you did not know that.

I think you should realize that you did make a bad first impression
and move on.

Arne

Daniel Pitts

Arne said:
Daniel said:
steve said:
steve wrote:
[...]

I did not know that at first, but after I posted, I decided to google
for intel hex, and found explanation of a rather simple string format.
as should be obvious from the >> quoted.
I think you should realize that you did make a bad first impression
and move on.
Perhaps a bad first impression, but that doesn't mean I should abandon
the conversation.

Thanks,
Daniel.

Arne Vajhøj

Daniel said:
Arne said:
Daniel said:
steve wrote:
steve wrote:
[...]

Well - I think you will be wasting your time.

Arne

Roedy Green

I'm looking for a java library to convert intel hex into it's binary so i
can download it to a usb device.

For some odd reason I enjoy writing that sort of code. I guess it
reminds me a bit of the old assembler days of bit fiddling.

If you could tell me what sort of format you want the stream converted
TO, I would be happy to write you such a beast for $75 (usd or cad).

Somebody has already kindly provided a description of the Intel
format.

This takes me back to the days of getting EPROMS burned.

steve

For some odd reason I enjoy writing that sort of code. I guess it
reminds me a bit of the old assembler days of bit fiddling.

If you could tell me what sort of format you want the stream converted
TO, I would be happy to write you such a beast for $75 (usd or cad).

Somebody has already kindly provided a description of the Intel
format.

This takes me back to the days of getting EPROMS burned.

Hi roedy,
Thanks ,
it's not that difficult , I was only asking about a library (we are supposed
to re-use java right?), at no time did I ask for anyone to write it for me,
in fact I thought I was very clear in my requirements.

Obviously not clear enough for Daniel. A simple "no I have not seen any
libraries" or "sorry I don't know what intel format is" would have been
fine.

In the end I coded it myself to the intel spec (Intel Corporation 1988), the
java was maybe 60 lines , and the C library worked out at just under 100,
which was mainly pinched from the Ez-usb example in apples developer kit.

I also like bit diddling, hence I wanted to download to a Cypress EZ-USB
device,
(which i like because there is NO eprom, you download into ram and the
embedded processor executes from there, so it cuts down on development time)
and since it want to use it for forensic analysis it seemed faster to write
a GUI in java than bugger about with C++ at both ends. (Driver & embedded
8051)

Steve