    good/bad checksum.

    Anyone seen a library on their travels.
    steve

    steve, Jun 14, 2008

  2. steve

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm looking for a java library to convert intel hex into it's binary so i
    > can download it to a usb device.

    I didn't know intel [sic] had its own hex. Generially,
    Integer.parseInt(hexString, 16) is likely to do what you want.

    > basically in need the routine to return the:
    > address to write
    > byte array of hex data
    > good/bad checksum.
    >
    > Anyone seen a library on their travels.
    > steve

    Seems pretty straight forward, perhaps you should write your own if you
    can't find one on google. Or, higher a contractor to write it for you.
    For this problem, I'm available for the discounted rate of $100/hr. not
    a joke, nor sarcasm.

    Hope this helps,
    Daniel.

    Daniel Pitts, Jun 14, 2008

  3. steve

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Lew wrote:
    > Daniel Pitts wrote:
    >> For this problem, I'm available for the discounted rate of $100/hr.
    >> not a joke, nor sarcasm.

    > Based on what I've seen of your posts, this is a heavily discounted rate
    > from what you're worth. Should someone pay you ten times that, they'd
    > be getting a discount. It could be the smartest business decision for
    > the OP this year to take you up on your offer.

    Thank you Lew, I appreciate the flattery :) My day job pays me less
    than that, but gives decent benefits. One being steady work :) It is
    unfortunate that many employers have difficulty promoting someone based
    on merits, rather than the typical "hours spent".

    Oh, and to the OP, I looked up "Intel HEX", and the format is pretty
    straight forward, if Wikipedia is to be believed.

    Daniel Pitts, Jun 14, 2008

    It's a file format. See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HEX>.
    --
    Regards,

    Roland

    Roland de Ruiter, Jun 15, 2008
  5. steve

    steve Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 03:13:53 +0800, Daniel Pitts wrote
    (in article <48541873$0$13399$>):

    > steve wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I'm looking for a java library to convert intel hex into it's binary so i
    >> can download it to a usb device.

    > I didn't know intel [sic] had its own hex. Generially,
    > Integer.parseInt(hexString, 16) is likely to do what you want.
    >
    >> basically in need the routine to return the:
    >> address to write
    >> byte array of hex data
    >> good/bad checksum.
    >>
    >> Anyone seen a library on their travels.
    >> steve

    > Seems pretty straight forward, perhaps you should write your own if you
    > can't find one on google. Or, higher a contractor to write it for you.
    > For this problem, I'm available for the discounted rate of $100/hr. not
    > a joke, nor sarcasm.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Daniel.

    Do you always attempt to talk authoritivly about things you obviously know
    nothing about, or is it that you just like the sound of your own keyboard?

    $100/hr. LOL that is a laugh, obviously it's not US$

    steve, Jun 15, 2008
  6. steve

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    steve wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 03:13:53 +0800, Daniel Pitts wrote
    > (in article <48541873$0$13399$>):
    >
    >> steve wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I'm looking for a java library to convert intel hex into it's binary so i
    >>> can download it to a usb device.

    >> I didn't know intel [sic] had its own hex. Generially,
    >> Integer.parseInt(hexString, 16) is likely to do what you want.
    >>
    >>> basically in need the routine to return the:
    >>> address to write
    >>> byte array of hex data
    >>> good/bad checksum.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone seen a library on their travels.
    >>> steve

    >> Seems pretty straight forward, perhaps you should write your own if you
    >> can't find one on google. Or, higher a contractor to write it for you.
    >> For this problem, I'm available for the discounted rate of $100/hr. not
    >> a joke, nor sarcasm.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps,
    >> Daniel.

    > Do you always attempt to talk authoritivly about things you obviously know
    > nothing about, or is it that you just like the sound of your own keyboard?

    I don't think I've ever claimed to be authoritative on this subject.
    Although it took me 20 seconds on google to figure out what you were
    asking, and it would probably take 10 minutes to implement an "Intel
    HEX" parser. As for "downloading" to a USB devices, that's not quite as
    easy, and most likely platform specific. It may even be USB device
    specific.

    > $100/hr. LOL that is a laugh, obviously it's not US$

    It is a discounted rate, so that is why it might seem funny. Especially
    with the falling value of the USD. Feel free to pay in Gold.

    Daniel Pitts, Jun 15, 2008
  7. steve

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Daniel Pitts wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 03:13:53 +0800, Daniel Pitts wrote
    >> (in article <48541873$0$13399$>):
    >>> I didn't know intel [sic] had its own hex. Generially,
    >>> Integer.parseInt(hexString, 16) is likely to do what you want.

    >>> For this problem, I'm available for the discounted rate of $100/hr.
    >>> not a joke, nor sarcasm.

    >> Do you always attempt to talk authoritivly about things you obviously
    >> know nothing about, or is it that you just like the sound of your own
    >> keyboard?

    > I don't think I've ever claimed to be authoritative on this subject.
    > Although it took me 20 seconds on google to figure out what you were
    > asking, and it would probably take 10 minutes to implement an "Intel
    > HEX" parser.

    Well - as Roland pointed out then Intel does have its own hex
    format.

    And it is obviously from the >>> quoted that you did not know that.

    I think you should realize that you did make a bad first impression
    and move on.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 15, 2008
  8. steve

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > Daniel Pitts wrote:
    >> steve wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 03:13:53 +0800, Daniel Pitts wrote
    >>> (in article <48541873$0$13399$>):

    >>> Do you always attempt to talk authoritivly about things you obviously
    >>> know nothing about, or is it that you just like the sound of your own
    >>> keyboard?

    >> I don't think I've ever claimed to be authoritative on this subject.
    >> Although it took me 20 seconds on google to figure out what you were
    >> asking, and it would probably take 10 minutes to implement an "Intel
    >> HEX" parser.

    > Well - as Roland pointed out then Intel does have its own hex
    > format.
    >
    > And it is obviously from the >>> quoted that you did not know that.

    I did not know that at first, but after I posted, I decided to google
    for intel hex, and found explanation of a rather simple string format.
    as should be obvious from the >> quoted.

    > I think you should realize that you did make a bad first impression
    > and move on.

    Perhaps a bad first impression, but that doesn't mean I should abandon
    the conversation.

    Thanks,
    Daniel.

    Daniel Pitts, Jun 15, 2008
  9. steve

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Daniel Pitts wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> Daniel Pitts wrote:

    >>> I don't think I've ever claimed to be authoritative on this subject.
    >>> Although it took me 20 seconds on google to figure out what you were
    >>> asking, and it would probably take 10 minutes to implement an "Intel
    >>> HEX" parser.

    >> Well - as Roland pointed out then Intel does have its own hex
    >> format.
    >>
    >> And it is obviously from the >>> quoted that you did not know that.

    > I did not know that at first, but after I posted, I decided to google
    > for intel hex, and found explanation of a rather simple string format.
    > as should be obvious from the >> quoted.
    >>
    >> I think you should realize that you did make a bad first impression
    >> and move on.

    > Perhaps a bad first impression, but that doesn't mean I should abandon
    > the conversation.

    Well - I think you will be wasting your time.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 15, 2008
  10. steve

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 14:54:25 +0800, steve <> wrote,

    >I'm looking for a java library to convert intel hex into it's binary so i
    >can download it to a usb device.

    For some odd reason I enjoy writing that sort of code. I guess it
    reminds me a bit of the old assembler days of bit fiddling.

    If you could tell me what sort of format you want the stream converted
    TO, I would be happy to write you such a beast for $75 (usd or cad).

    Somebody has already kindly provided a description of the Intel
    format.

    This takes me back to the days of getting EPROMS burned.
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary

    Roedy Green, Jun 16, 2008
  11. steve

    steve Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 20:28:37 +0800, Roedy Green wrote
    (in article <>):

    > On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 14:54:25 +0800, steve <> wrote,
    >
    >> I'm looking for a java library to convert intel hex into it's binary so i
    >> can download it to a usb device.

    > For some odd reason I enjoy writing that sort of code. I guess it
    > reminds me a bit of the old assembler days of bit fiddling.
    >
    > If you could tell me what sort of format you want the stream converted
    > TO, I would be happy to write you such a beast for $75 (usd or cad).
    >
    > Somebody has already kindly provided a description of the Intel
    > format.
    >
    > This takes me back to the days of getting EPROMS burned.

    Hi roedy,
    Thanks ,
    it's not that difficult , I was only asking about a library (we are supposed
    to re-use java right?), at no time did I ask for anyone to write it for me,
    in fact I thought I was very clear in my requirements.

    Obviously not clear enough for Daniel. A simple "no I have not seen any
    libraries" or "sorry I don't know what intel format is" would have been
    fine.

    In the end I coded it myself to the intel spec (Intel Corporation 1988), the
    java was maybe 60 lines , and the C library worked out at just under 100,
    which was mainly pinched from the Ez-usb example in apples developer kit.

    I also like bit diddling, hence I wanted to download to a Cypress EZ-USB
    device,
    (which i like because there is NO eprom, you download into ram and the
    embedded processor executes from there, so it cuts down on development time)
    and since it want to use it for forensic analysis it seemed faster to write
    a GUI in java than bugger about with C++ at both ends. (Driver & embedded
    8051)

    Steve