    for earlier versions, and now don't work for ruby 1.8 and mysql 5.

    I'm just trying ruby, and am getting frustrated here. Anybody get these
    programs working - and can supply me with the appropriate files?

    walter, Apr 3, 2007

  2. On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 01:50:04PM +0900, walter wrote:
    > I'm trying to get mysql 2.7.3 working, but run into the error can't locate
    > mysql.o

    Your question is not very informative. If you want some help, please post:

    (1) the *exact* name and version of the program you are trying to compile.
    Note that there is "ruby-mysql" and "mysql-ruby", and they are very
    different beasts.

    (2) paste in *exactly* what you typed.

    (3) paste in the *exact* error message you see.

    (4) In this case, what exact version of MySQL you are trying to communicate
    with. You almost certainly are *not* trying to use mysql 2.7.3!! (I expect
    you have mysql 4.x or 5.x installed)

    > I don't have a c compiler. apparently the mysql - ruby files were developed
    > for earlier versions, and now don't work for ruby 1.8 and mysql 5.

    ruby-mysql is a pure Ruby library, and doesn't need a C compiler. This will
    most likely be the easiest one for you to get going with. However it only
    works with MySQL 5.x, not 4.x.
    http://www.tmtm.org/en/ruby/mysql/README_en.html

    mysql-ruby is a wrapper around the C API, and needs a C compiler to build.

    Both can be found via
    http://raa.ruby-lang.org/search.rhtml?search=mysql

    Brian.

    Brian Candler, Apr 3, 2007

  3. walter

    bbiker Guest

    On Apr 3, 4:03 am, Brian Candler <> wrote:
    > On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 01:50:04PM +0900, walter wrote:
    > > I'm trying to get mysql 2.7.3 working, but run into the error can't locate
    > > mysql.o

    > Your question is not very informative. If you want some help, please post:
    >
    > (1) the *exact* name and version of the program you are trying to compile.
    > Note that there is "ruby-mysql" and "mysql-ruby", and they are very
    > different beasts.
    >
    > (2) paste in *exactly* what you typed.
    >
    > (3) paste in the *exact* error message you see.
    >
    > (4) In this case, what exact version of MySQL you are trying to communicate
    > with. You almost certainly are *not* trying to use mysql 2.7.3!! (I expect
    > you have mysql 4.x or 5.x installed)
    >
    > > I don't have a c compiler. apparently the mysql - ruby files were developed
    > > for earlier versions, and now don't work for ruby 1.8 and mysql 5.

    > ruby-mysql is a pure Ruby library, and doesn't need a C compiler. This will
    > most likely be the easiest one for you to get going with. However it only
    > works with MySQL 5.x, not 4.x.http://www.tmtm.org/en/ruby/mysql/README_en.html
    >
    > mysql-ruby is a wrapper around the C API, and needs a C compiler to build.
    >
    > Both can be found viahttp://raa.ruby-lang.org/search.rhtml?search=mysql
    >
    > Brian.

    1. you need to have mysql installed

    2. you need to have you PATH environmental variable to have the path
    to mysql's bin directory

    for example: C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin

    Hope this helps

    bbiker, Apr 3, 2007