looking for mysql.o

walter

I'm trying to get mysql 2.7.3 working, but run into the error can't locate
mysql.o

I don't have a c compiler. apparently the mysql - ruby files were developed
for earlier versions, and now don't work for ruby 1.8 and mysql 5.

I'm just trying ruby, and am getting frustrated here. Anybody get these
programs working - and can supply me with the appropriate files?

Brian Candler

I'm trying to get mysql 2.7.3 working, but run into the error can't locate
mysql.o

Your question is not very informative. If you want some help, please post:

(1) the *exact* name and version of the program you are trying to compile.
Note that there is "ruby-mysql" and "mysql-ruby", and they are very
different beasts.

(2) paste in *exactly* what you typed.

(3) paste in the *exact* error message you see.

(4) In this case, what exact version of MySQL you are trying to communicate
with. You almost certainly are *not* trying to use mysql 2.7.3!! (I expect
you have mysql 4.x or 5.x installed)
I don't have a c compiler. apparently the mysql - ruby files were developed
for earlier versions, and now don't work for ruby 1.8 and mysql 5.

ruby-mysql is a pure Ruby library, and doesn't need a C compiler. This will
most likely be the easiest one for you to get going with. However it only
works with MySQL 5.x, not 4.x.
http://www.tmtm.org/en/ruby/mysql/README_en.html

mysql-ruby is a wrapper around the C API, and needs a C compiler to build.

Both can be found via
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/search.rhtml?search=mysql

Brian.

bbiker

[...]

1. you need to have mysql installed

2. you need to have you PATH environmental variable to have the path
to mysql's bin directory

for example: C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin

Hope this helps