Looking for old Date::Calc module

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by DJB, Sep 16, 2005.

  1. DJB

    DJB Guest

    DJB, Sep 16, 2005

  2. "DJB" <> wrote in news:1126833251.124621.12880
    @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm looking for an old version of Date::Calc, but it doesn't seem to be
    > archived on CPAN itself, and backpan hasn't been too friendly.
    >
    > http://backpan.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Date/DateCalc-2.2.tar.gz
    > returns a 404 (as do most of the links on that page).
    >
    > I'm looking for 2.2 or 4.2.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Google?

    http://backpan.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Date/

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Sep 16, 2005

  3. DJB wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm looking for an old version of Date::Calc, but it doesn't seem to be
    > archived on CPAN itself, and backpan hasn't been too friendly.
    >
    > http://backpan.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Date/DateCalc-2.2.tar.gz
    > returns a 404 (as do most of the links on that page).
    >
    > I'm looking for 2.2 or 4.2.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Switch to Ruby. Example:
    require "date"

    Date.new(2004,2,25).upto(Date.new(2004,3,2)) do |date|
    puts date.to_s
    end
    Output:

    2004-02-25
    2004-02-26
    2004-02-27
    2004-02-28
    2004-02-29
    2004-03-01
    2004-03-02

    --
    I don't know if it's what you want, but it's what you get. :)
    Just don't compare it with a real language, or you'll be unhappy... :)

    William James, Sep 16, 2005
  4. DJB

    DJB Guest

    Did you even read my post? I'm getting 404's from backpan.

    DJB, Sep 16, 2005
  5. DJB

    DJB Guest

    Yes, William, I know all about Ruby. I've been using it for about 4
    years now.

    This is for a work project where I'm moving an old Perl project to a
    new box. No, I'm not going to port it.

    Dan

    DJB, Sep 16, 2005
  6. "DJB" <> wrote in news:1126844545.188562.207800
    @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Did you even read my post?

    Please quote some context when you reply.

    So, I posted the wrong URL.

    > I'm getting 404's from backpan.

    C:\DOCUME~1\asu1\LOCALS~1\Temp> wget
    http://backpan.perl.org/authors/id/S/ST/STBEY/Date-Calc-4.2.tar.gz
    --00:43:28-- http://backpan.perl.org/authors/id/S/ST/STBEY/Date-Calc-
    4.2.tar.gz
    => `Date-Calc-4.2.tar.gz'
    Resolving backpan.perl.org... 63.251.223.164
    Connecting to backpan.perl.org[63.251.223.164]:80... connected.
    Length: 87,381 [application/x-tar]

    100%[====================================>] 87,381 96.20K/s

    00:43:30 (96.20 KB/s) - `Date-Calc-4.2.tar.gz' saved [87381/87381]

    Now, *PLONK*

    Sinan

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Sep 16, 2005
  7. On 2005-09-16, William James <> wrote:
    > DJB wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I'm looking for an old version of Date::Calc, but it doesn't seem to be
    >> archived on CPAN itself, and backpan hasn't been too friendly.

    [snip]
    > Switch to Ruby.

    I'm at a loss to figure out how switching to ruby will help the OP find
    any version of a Perl module, much less one that's not on CPAN.

    Of course, I'm at a loss to figure out why you keep posting about ruby
    here. Well, other than the obvious reason. :-|

    dha

    "Take myself, subtract films, and the remainder is zero"
    - Akira Kurosawa

    David H. Adler, Sep 16, 2005
  8. DJB

    Sisyphus Guest

    "A. Sinan Unur" <> wrote in message
    > "DJB" <> wrote in news:1126844545.188562.207800
    > @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > > Did you even read my post?

    > Please quote some context when you reply.
    >
    > So, I posted the wrong URL.
    >
    > > I'm getting 404's from backpan.

    > C:\DOCUME~1\asu1\LOCALS~1\Temp> wget
    > http://backpan.perl.org/authors/id/S/ST/STBEY/Date-Calc-4.2.tar.gz

    Or .... to correct the typo:
    http://backpan.perl.org/authors/id/S/ST/STBEY/DateCalc-2.2.tar.gz

    which *does* work for me, unlike:
    http://backpan.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Date/DateCalc-2.2.tar.gz

    (which produces a 404 for me, too).

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, Sep 16, 2005
  9. DJB

    DJB Guest

    A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    > "DJB" <> wrote in news:1126844545.188562.207800
    > @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > > Did you even read my post?

    > Please quote some context when you reply.
    >
    > So, I posted the wrong URL.

    No, it's more likely you were in such a rush to try to make yourself
    look smart that you never got past the first 5 words of my OP, ran off
    to backpan, posted the first URL you found and said, "Google?". Never
    mind that it was the same URL I had already posted.

    > Now, *PLONK*

    I see the Asberger's quotient is still as high as it ever was here on
    c.l.p.m. At least I won't have to worry about any more snarky (and
    useless) responses from you.

    Dan

    DJB, Sep 16, 2005
  10. David H. Adler wrote:
    > On 2005-09-16, William James <> wrote:
    >>Switch to Ruby.

    > Of course, I'm at a loss to figure out why you keep posting about ruby
    > here. Well, other than the obvious reason. :-|

    And what would that obvious reason be?

    If I was to learn another language, I'd be significantly less inclined
    to consider Ruby now after that troll has poisoned this group for some time.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Sep 19, 2005
  11. Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
    > David H. Adler wrote:
    >> On 2005-09-16, William James <> wrote:
    >>> Switch to Ruby.

    >> Of course, I'm at a loss to figure out why you keep posting about
    >> ruby here. Well, other than the obvious reason. :-|

    > And what would that obvious reason be?

    Him being a troll?

    > If I was to learn another language, I'd be significantly less inclined
    > to consider Ruby now after that troll has poisoned this group for
    > some time.

    Oh, you realized that yourself already ;-))

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Sep 19, 2005
  12. On 2005-09-19, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <> wrote:
    > David H. Adler wrote:
    >> On 2005-09-16, William James <> wrote:
    >>>Switch to Ruby.

    >> Of course, I'm at a loss to figure out why you keep posting about ruby
    >> here. Well, other than the obvious reason. :-|

    > And what would that obvious reason be?
    >
    > If I was to learn another language, I'd be significantly less inclined
    > to consider Ruby now after that troll has poisoned this group for some time.

    ^^^^^

    I love a self-answering post, don't you? ;-)

    And, really, ruby looks pretty interesting. Blame the troll, not the
    bridge.

    dha

    "Hey you! Don't watch dat! Watch thees! This is the heavy, heavy
    monster sound!" - Madness

    David H. Adler, Sep 19, 2005
  13. The Ruby troll [was: Looking for...]

    David H. Adler wrote:
    > Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
    >> David H. Adler wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Of course, I'm at a loss to figure out why you keep posting about ruby
    >>> here. Well, other than the obvious reason. :-|

    >> And what would that obvious reason be?
    >>
    >> If I was to learn another language, I'd be significantly less inclined
    >> to consider Ruby now after that troll has poisoned this group for some time.

    > ^^^^^
    >
    > I love a self-answering post, don't you? ;-)

    Well, to me, being a troll is not a reason, it's a condition indicating
    a social disability or worse.

    > And, really, ruby looks pretty interesting. Blame the troll, not the
    > bridge.

    I believe I was one of the first who realized the nature of it (the
    troll), and I tried to called the Ruby community's attention to it:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/bbb053db6d9b7151

    Guess I hoped that one or two Ruby programmers would have dissociated
    themselves from his actions. The lack of responses there makes me blame
    not only the troll, but also the Ruby community, and in my world, that's
    a rational reason for not considering the use of the language.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Sep 19, 2005
  14. Re: The Ruby troll

    Tim Hammerquist wrote:
    > Would you judge Larry's creation based on Purl Gurl's
    > ever eloquent dissertations?

    No, because many serious Perl programmers let the readers know what they
    thought about her postings. But if everyone had silently watched
    PurlGurl's ravages in clpmisc, I suppose many Perl users would have
    hesitated. I would.

    This troll, the "William James" character, is posting Ruby solutions
    also in comp.lang.ruby where they are on topic, and I presume he is
    appreciated and respected for that there. What makes me pissed is that
    the Ruby community is indirectly, by its silence, approving of his
    advocating Ruby through spamming comp.lang.perl.misc with off topic posts.

    IMO, languages such as Perl and Ruby should be judged not only by the
    technical usefulness of respective language, but also by the integrity
    of their users.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Sep 20, 2005
  15. DJB

    Ara.T.Howard Guest

    Re: The Ruby troll

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

    > No, because many serious Perl programmers let the readers know what they
    > thought about her postings. But if everyone had silently watched PurlGurl's
    > ravages in clpmisc, I suppose many Perl users would have hesitated. I would.
    >
    > This troll, the "William James" character, is posting Ruby solutions also in
    > comp.lang.ruby where they are on topic, and I presume he is appreciated and
    > respected for that there. What makes me pissed is that the Ruby community is
    > indirectly, by its silence, approving of his advocating Ruby through
    > spamming comp.lang.perl.misc with off topic posts.
    >
    > IMO, languages such as Perl and Ruby should be judged not only by the
    > technical usefulness of respective language, but also by the integrity of
    > their users.

    indeed, but i think many here, including myself, simply value kindess and
    politeness over integrity and seriousness and are unwillingly to risk the
    former in order to enforce the latter. and even that assumes people are
    reading both groups which, i think, is the exception rather than the rule.

    regards.

    -a

    Ara.T.Howard, Sep 20, 2005
  16. DJB

    Guest

    Re: The Ruby troll [was: Looking for...]

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson <> wrote:
    > David H. Adler wrote:
    > > Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

    > >> And what would that obvious reason be?
    > >>
    > >> If I was to learn another language, I'd be significantly less inclined
    > >> to consider Ruby now after that troll has poisoned this group for some
    > >> time.

    > > ^^^^^
    > >
    > > I love a self-answering post, don't you? ;-)

    > Well, to me, being a troll is not a reason, it's a condition indicating
    > a social disability or worse.
    >
    > > And, really, ruby looks pretty interesting. Blame the troll, not the
    > > bridge.

    > I believe I was one of the first who realized the nature of it (the
    > troll), and I tried to called the Ruby community's attention to it:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/bbb053db6
    > d9b7151

    Why on Earth would you do such a thing?

    > Guess I hoped that one or two Ruby programmers would have dissociated
    > themselves from his actions.

    Are you under the impression that the troll has to get permission from the
    majority of comp.lang.ruby in order to post here? What exactly kind of
    dissociation would you expect them to perform? Would it involve holy water
    and relics of the cross?

    > The lack of responses there makes me blame
    > not only the troll, but also the Ruby community, and in my world, that's
    > a rational reason for not considering the use of the language.

    In my world, expecting the people of one newsgroup to police another
    newsgroup is simply mad. (Of course, the irony has not escaped me that
    here I am, chastising you from clpm for something you wrote in clr.)

    Xho

    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

    , Sep 20, 2005
  17. Re: The Ruby troll

    Aside from your the preposterous nature of your proposition (that clr
    members should police so-called trolls in clpm), you seem not to
    understand the nature of clr itself. I don't read clr; I read ruby-talk
    -- a mailing list hosted by ruby-lang.org. This is bidirectionally
    mirrored with clr. So when your post about "The Ruby troll" came in, it
    was completely new to me and unrelated to anything else -- and
    absolutely no indication that your message had originated on clpm and
    was unceremoniously crossposted to clr (and therefore ruby-talk).

    Since I don't watch newsgroups anymore (they lost their utility for me
    some years ago), there's nothing I could have said or done about this
    in any case. Frankly, I was wondering who this twit talking about a
    "Ruby troll" (that is, *you*) was. Now that I understand, I'm still
    baffled why you think it's our responsibility to police clpm when you
    can't even apparently stay in clpm and must cross-post to ruby-talk
    with no indication of where you've posted from. Perhaps you should
    introduce yourself to the killfile features of your newsgroup reader.

    I'm a bit surprised if you're what represents clpm these days as I
    remember Perl developers being a bit more open-minded and friendly back
    when I still used Perl. (I suspect that you're not completely
    representative.)

    Austin Ziegler, Sep 20, 2005
  18. Re: The Ruby troll: William James

    Ara.T.Howard wrote:
    > and even that assumes people are
    > reading both groups which, i think, is the exception rather than the rule.

    I think so too. That's why I crossposted to clr.

    Austin Ziegler wrote:
    > when your post about "The Ruby troll" came in, it
    > was completely new to me and unrelated to anything else -- and
    > absolutely no indication that your message had originated on clpm and
    > was unceremoniously crossposted to clr (and therefore ruby-talk).

    I did make a mistake in that respect, and for that I apologize.

    Xho wrote:
    > Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
    >> I tried to called the Ruby community's attention to it:
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/bbb053db6d9b7151

    > Why on Earth would you do such a thing?

    To let the clr readers know that the regular clr poster William James is
    a Usenet troll. To rightfully discredit him.

    >> Guess I hoped that one or two Ruby programmers would have dissociated
    >> themselves from his actions.

    > What exactly kind of dissociation would you expect them to perform?

    Well, one or two simple statements would have been nice.

    If the opposite situation had been the case, i.e. some clpmisc regular
    had for several weeks spammed some other newsgroup with rude Perl
    advocacy posts, and somebody had complained to clpmisc, I have a feeling
    that a few clpmisc regulars would have made dissociative statements, and
    also made attempts to convince the culprit to stop.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Sep 20, 2005
  19. DJB

    John Bokma Guest

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson <> wrote:

    > statements, and also made attempts to convince the culprit to stop.

    Did that work with Purl Gurl (where is she anyway)?

    The Ruby troll is well aware of what he is doing, and probably keeps doing
    it long after most regulars have kill filed it.

    John Bokma, Sep 20, 2005
  20. Re: The Ruby troll: William James

    John Bokma wrote:
    > Gunnar Hjalmarsson <> wrote:
    >> statements, and also made attempts to convince the culprit to stop.

    > Did that work with Purl Gurl (where is she anyway)?

    Maybe, since she is gone. ;-)

    But seriously, the comparison is halting. William James is
    double-dealing: While he regularly makes presumably useful contributions
    at clr, he is trolling at clpmisc.

    > The Ruby troll is well aware of what he is doing,

    Of course. And by making the clr readers aware of it, I'm trying to
    discomfort the troll.

    Sure, it's an unusual action. But it's also an unusual kind of troll, right?

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Sep 20, 2005