Looking for old Date::Calc module

William James

DJB said:
Hi all,

I'm looking for an old version of Date::Calc, but it doesn't seem to be
archived on CPAN itself, and backpan hasn't been too friendly.

http://backpan.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Date/DateCalc-2.2.tar.gz
returns a 404 (as do most of the links on that page).

I'm looking for 2.2 or 4.2.

Any suggestions?

Switch to Ruby. Example:
require "date"

Date.new(2004,2,25).upto(Date.new(2004,3,2)) do |date|
puts date.to_s
end
Output:

2004-02-25
2004-02-26
2004-02-27
2004-02-28
2004-02-29
2004-03-01
2004-03-02

DJB

Yes, William, I know all about Ruby. I've been using it for about 4
years now.

This is for a work project where I'm moving an old Perl project to a
new box. No, I'm not going to port it.

Dan

A. Sinan Unur

Did you even read my post?

Please quote some context when you reply.

So, I posted the wrong URL.
I'm getting 404's from backpan.

C:\DOCUME~1\asu1\LOCALS~1\Temp> wget
http://backpan.perl.org/authors/id/S/ST/STBEY/Date-Calc-4.2.tar.gz
--00:43:28-- http://backpan.perl.org/authors/id/S/ST/STBEY/Date-Calc-
4.2.tar.gz
=> `Date-Calc-4.2.tar.gz'
Resolving backpan.perl.org... 63.251.223.164
Connecting to backpan.perl.org[63.251.223.164]:80... connected.
Length: 87,381 [application/x-tar]

100%[====================================>] 87,381 96.20K/s

00:43:30 (96.20 KB/s) - `Date-Calc-4.2.tar.gz' saved [87381/87381]

Now, *PLONK*

Sinan

David H. Adler

DJB said:
Hi all,

I'm looking for an old version of Date::Calc, but it doesn't seem to be
archived on CPAN itself, and backpan hasn't been too friendly.
[snip]
Switch to Ruby.

I'm at a loss to figure out how switching to ruby will help the OP find
any version of a Perl module, much less one that's not on CPAN.

Of course, I'm at a loss to figure out why you keep posting about ruby
here. Well, other than the obvious reason. :-|

dha

DJB

A. Sinan Unur said:
Please quote some context when you reply.

So, I posted the wrong URL.

No, it's more likely you were in such a rush to try to make yourself
look smart that you never got past the first 5 words of my OP, ran off
to backpan, posted the first URL you found and said, "Google?". Never
mind that it was the same URL I had already posted.
Now, *PLONK*

I see the Asberger's quotient is still as high as it ever was here on
c.l.p.m. At least I won't have to worry about any more snarky (and
useless) responses from you.

Dan

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

David said:
Of course, I'm at a loss to figure out why you keep posting about ruby
here. Well, other than the obvious reason. :-|

And what would that obvious reason be?

If I was to learn another language, I'd be significantly less inclined
to consider Ruby now after that troll has poisoned this group for some time.

Jürgen Exner

Gunnar said:
And what would that obvious reason be?

Him being a troll?
If I was to learn another language, I'd be significantly less inclined
to consider Ruby now after that troll has poisoned this group for
some time.

Oh, you realized that yourself already ;-))

jue

David H. Adler

And what would that obvious reason be?

If I was to learn another language, I'd be significantly less inclined
to consider Ruby now after that troll has poisoned this group for some time.
^^^^^

I love a self-answering post, don't you? ;-)

And, really, ruby looks pretty interesting. Blame the troll, not the
bridge.

dha

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

David said:
^^^^^

I love a self-answering post, don't you? ;-)

Well, to me, being a troll is not a reason, it's a condition indicating
a social disability or worse.
And, really, ruby looks pretty interesting. Blame the troll, not the
bridge.

I believe I was one of the first who realized the nature of it (the
troll), and I tried to called the Ruby community's attention to it:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/bbb053db6d9b7151

Guess I hoped that one or two Ruby programmers would have dissociated
themselves from his actions. The lack of responses there makes me blame
not only the troll, but also the Ruby community, and in my world, that's
a rational reason for not considering the use of the language.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Tim said:
Would you judge Larry's creation based on Purl Gurl's
ever eloquent dissertations?

No, because many serious Perl programmers let the readers know what they
thought about her postings. But if everyone had silently watched
PurlGurl's ravages in clpmisc, I suppose many Perl users would have
hesitated. I would.

This troll, the "William James" character, is posting Ruby solutions
also in comp.lang.ruby where they are on topic, and I presume he is
appreciated and respected for that there. What makes me pissed is that
the Ruby community is indirectly, by its silence, approving of his
advocating Ruby through spamming comp.lang.perl.misc with off topic posts.

IMO, languages such as Perl and Ruby should be judged not only by the
technical usefulness of respective language, but also by the integrity
of their users.

Ara.T.Howard

No, because many serious Perl programmers let the readers know what they
thought about her postings. But if everyone had silently watched PurlGurl's
ravages in clpmisc, I suppose many Perl users would have hesitated. I would.

This troll, the "William James" character, is posting Ruby solutions also in
comp.lang.ruby where they are on topic, and I presume he is appreciated and
respected for that there. What makes me pissed is that the Ruby community is
indirectly, by its silence, approving of his advocating Ruby through
spamming comp.lang.perl.misc with off topic posts.

IMO, languages such as Perl and Ruby should be judged not only by the
technical usefulness of respective language, but also by the integrity of
their users.

indeed, but i think many here, including myself, simply value kindess and
politeness over integrity and seriousness and are unwillingly to risk the
former in order to enforce the latter. and even that assumes people are
reading both groups which, i think, is the exception rather than the rule.

regards.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| Like a lamp standing in a strong breeze. --Nagarjuna

xhoster

Gunnar Hjalmarsson said:
Well, to me, being a troll is not a reason, it's a condition indicating
a social disability or worse.

I believe I was one of the first who realized the nature of it (the
troll), and I tried to called the Ruby community's attention to it:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/bbb053db6
d9b7151

Why on Earth would you do such a thing?

Guess I hoped that one or two Ruby programmers would have dissociated
themselves from his actions.

Are you under the impression that the troll has to get permission from the
majority of comp.lang.ruby in order to post here? What exactly kind of
dissociation would you expect them to perform? Would it involve holy water
and relics of the cross?

The lack of responses there makes me blame
not only the troll, but also the Ruby community, and in my world, that's
a rational reason for not considering the use of the language.

In my world, expecting the people of one newsgroup to police another
newsgroup is simply mad. (Of course, the irony has not escaped me that
here I am, chastising you from clpm for something you wrote in clr.)

Xho

Austin Ziegler

Aside from your the preposterous nature of your proposition (that clr
members should police so-called trolls in clpm), you seem not to
understand the nature of clr itself. I don't read clr; I read ruby-talk
-- a mailing list hosted by ruby-lang.org. This is bidirectionally
mirrored with clr. So when your post about "The Ruby troll" came in, it
was completely new to me and unrelated to anything else -- and
absolutely no indication that your message had originated on clpm and
was unceremoniously crossposted to clr (and therefore ruby-talk).

Since I don't watch newsgroups anymore (they lost their utility for me
some years ago), there's nothing I could have said or done about this
in any case. Frankly, I was wondering who this twit talking about a
"Ruby troll" (that is, *you*) was. Now that I understand, I'm still
baffled why you think it's our responsibility to police clpm when you
can't even apparently stay in clpm and must cross-post to ruby-talk
with no indication of where you've posted from. Perhaps you should
introduce yourself to the killfile features of your newsgroup reader.

I'm a bit surprised if you're what represents clpm these days as I
remember Perl developers being a bit more open-minded and friendly back
when I still used Perl. (I suspect that you're not completely
representative.)

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Ara.T.Howard said:
and even that assumes people are
reading both groups which, i think, is the exception rather than the rule.

I think so too. That's why I crossposted to clr.

Austin said:
when your post about "The Ruby troll" came in, it
was completely new to me and unrelated to anything else -- and
absolutely no indication that your message had originated on clpm and
was unceremoniously crossposted to clr (and therefore ruby-talk).

I did make a mistake in that respect, and for that I apologize.
Why on Earth would you do such a thing?

To let the clr readers know that the regular clr poster William James is
a Usenet troll. To rightfully discredit him.
What exactly kind of dissociation would you expect them to perform?

Well, one or two simple statements would have been nice.

If the opposite situation had been the case, i.e. some clpmisc regular
had for several weeks spammed some other newsgroup with rude Perl
advocacy posts, and somebody had complained to clpmisc, I have a feeling
that a few clpmisc regulars would have made dissociative statements, and
also made attempts to convince the culprit to stop.

John Bokma

Gunnar Hjalmarsson said:
statements, and also made attempts to convince the culprit to stop.

Did that work with Purl Gurl (where is she anyway)?

The Ruby troll is well aware of what he is doing, and probably keeps doing
it long after most regulars have kill filed it.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

John said:
Did that work with Purl Gurl (where is she anyway)?

Maybe, since she is gone. ;-)

But seriously, the comparison is halting. William James is
double-dealing: While he regularly makes presumably useful contributions
at clr, he is trolling at clpmisc.
The Ruby troll is well aware of what he is doing,

Of course. And by making the clr readers aware of it, I'm trying to
discomfort the troll.

Sure, it's an unusual action. But it's also an unusual kind of troll, right?