Looking for old Date::Calc module

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Devin said:
Ah. Well, again, thanks, but I don't really care who a person is, on
this list, for the most part. For the most part, I just care what he's
worth to me. And for the purposes of ruby-talk, it affects me not that
he's a clpm troll.

Okay, that's you. Probably there are a few others who look at it the
same way.

But I happen to believe that there are also more community minded, less
selfish people around at clr, people who are devoted to the open source
language they love to develop and use, and who get upset at a regular
clr participant who is deliberately hurting the image of Ruby.

Call me naive, if you like. I can live with that.

John Bokma

Tim Hammerquist said:
This whole thread should have been replaced with a single,

"Attention c.l.r members: this thread is somewhat off-topic
in c.l.p.m. Could you please remove 'comp.lang.perl.misc'
from further Newsgroups: headers? Thanks!"

That's as effective as asking a troll to stop. It's extremely hard (is my
experience) to make a thread stop from appearing in a group by setting
follow-up to headers. People gladly hack them away (been there, done that).

Ignoring the whole thread and hoping that it isn't going to happen again is
the best :).
Any further crossposting could be easily killfiled.

Just kill the whole thread without bothering, or contribute and try to set
the follow-up to headers, and hope people follow.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Tim said:
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.perl.misc.]

Ignored, for obvious reasons.
Trolls are uniqely immune to people getting angry at them.
I dare say it's their *goal*. Even assuming you manage to
enrage and embitter clr onlookers to rally against this "troll",
it would only make him more successful, no?

Don't think so. Why do you choose to disregard the double-dealing by
William James? He is trolling in clpmisc, while nothing indicates that
he wants to be regarded a troll in clr.
Besides, what is this mentality that it's one newsgroup's job to
police the actions of regular posters in another group?

I never said it is it's "job". But it might be in _the interest_ of
devoted 'Rubyists' to do so.

Just like you found it motivated to apologize in clr for my "noise
contribution". :(

John Bokma

Gunnar Hjalmarsson said:
Tim said:
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.perl.misc.]

Ignored, for obvious reasons.

What are these obvious reasons?
Help me, for I know not how I wrong you by following netiquette.

I doubt it's proper netiquette to kick a thread out of a group, especially
if the group is involved. I have said many times before, and do so again,
setting a follow up works best when the OP does it, otherwise it's either
ignored, or a part of the thread runs in all groups, and other parts don't,
creating quite a mess. Setting a follow up to "put things straight" rarely
works, if at all.
Yes, you're making a big ol' stink about nothing,

Well, William James *is* a pain in the ass.

John Bokma

Tim Hammerquist said:
I'm not even talking about this "troll". I'm talking about
bringing the cross-posting to the attention of any posters who
might be unaware of it.

Then they should get a decent news reader.
After this notice, anyone continuing to
do it does so deliberately (or at least knowingly) and I can
ignore them.

Have fun then. I often fix follow up to hacking, especially if its only
purpose is to keep the rest of the discussion out of a group, and hence
just adds to the noise.

John Bokma

This refers to the OP.

Sounds like it too.
And finally:

Ditto. As I stated already: if someone starts a crosspost, and sets a
follow up it works most of the time (I consider it rude when *that*
specific follow-up to is ignored).

However, changing it in "the middle" of a thread, rarely works, and is
often rude (it's often like: keep your mess to your own group, etc).
My posts in this thread have had nothing to do with the Ruby
language.

So you drop it in clpm? What has it to do with the Perl language? It
looks like you fall in the "keep your mess" etc. category, which I
consider quite rude :-(
And I saw several posts from c.l.r posters asking
Gunnar to leave it alone.

Yes, so finish it up, and/or leave it. Don't start tweaking follow up
to's. It just doesn't work, and adds more and more noise.
Besides, isn't what Gunnar wanted all along to be left out of
posts which had little to nothing to do with Perl? Why is he so
resistant to show the same courtesy?

You can't compare a discussion on behaviour in a Perl related group with
posting unrelated messages.
I don't recognize his name. And I'm in both groups.

<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=author:[email protected]&start=0
&scoring=d&> And I am amazed he doesn't post ruby in the awk group...
And I'm typically easy to troll, as this thread helps to
demonstrate... :)

:)