Looking for opinions...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by rviray, Oct 6, 2005.

  1. rviray

    rviray Guest

    I am just looking for opinions about this project that I am working on.

    Background:
    Windows Application built under Delphi. The application uses 4-
    (depending on drill down avenue) deep modal windows to get informatio
    (viewing and editing). Basically, you
    1) Search for information, say person by First & Last Name...get list
    2) Drill down on person to get Demographics, Education, Physica
    Makeup, Social Makeup, etc.
    3) Drill down on one of the subsections, say Education...get a listin
    of schools
    4) Drill down on school, gets a list of courses taken with final grade
    5) May or may not have another drill down ...

    As an FYI, just assume that I can't combine the info from the differen
    drill downs into one page (it would be info overload for the clien
    base).

    My Task:
    To convert the Application to work within a web browser just fo
    vewing, for now, eventually I will need to enable editing.

    Question:
    As far as I can see, I can implement this functionality in one of thre
    ways:

    1) Have a single browser window and post back and forth through th
    drill downs.
    - If I know my end users, they will HATE that...

    2) Have multiple browser windows pop-up
    - Could be messy when it comes to keeping track of the child window
    that popup

    3) Use DHTML to pop-up the various windows in a single Browser.

    I can implement anyone of the above solutions, I would just like t
    know how you would tackle (since we're in Football season) the problem
    Am I missing another potential solution? Has anyone here faced thi
    type of project, your experiences would be very much appreciated.

    Thanks

    Ralp

    --
    rvira
    rviray's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=421
    rviray, Oct 6, 2005

  2. rviray

    Bruce Barker Guest

    i'd avoid popup althogethers, it too messay with browsers, and most users
    hate them. i'd redesign the application to be more browser like, with lots
    of interrelated links to relevent info, so drill thru is not required.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Oct 6, 2005

  3. I tend to agree with Bruce. A browser interface is just not the same as a
    desktop application interface, and you need to go with it. I'd investigate
    how the "big boys" handle it by visiting their web sites.

    Another alternative, which you may or may not like, is to emulate a desktop
    interface using a SWF that talks to Web Services behind the scenes. It's a
    big job, but certainly doable.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    Ambiguity has a certain quality to it.

    Kevin Spencer, Oct 6, 2005
  4. rviray

    rviray Guest

    thanks guys for your opinions...Unfortunately, the Windows App is
    "shrink wrapped" application, that has been in the market for year
    now. For the past few years, the install base has been clamoring for
    browser interface and since the company I am working for (at least th
    CEO, CFO, and all the big wigs think that an App-is-an-App-is-an-App
    then having conversations about limitations and "Apples to Oranges
    metaphors is an up hill battle. ;-)

    I like the SWF idea...sounds doable, and it would be a good experienc
    for me, I hope there are some good examples of how to start creatin
    those types of apps...if the Development gODs are really good to me
    maybe there would be libraries that hook directly into Visua
    Studio...

    Don't suppose anyone would know of a good product (Flash MX...is prett
    pricey...ain't it?

    rviray, Oct 6, 2005
  5. Kevin Spencer wrote:
    > I tend to agree with Bruce. A browser interface is just not the same
    > as a desktop application interface, and you need to go with it. I'd
    > investigate how the "big boys" handle it by visiting their web sites.
    >
    > Another alternative, which you may or may not like, is to emulate a
    > desktop interface using a SWF that talks to Web Services behind the
    > scenes. It's a big job, but certainly doable.

    I would definitely have a look at AJAX.

    --
    Jim Cheshire
    JIMCO Software

    FrontPage add-ins for FrontPage 2000 - 2003
    JIMCO Software, Oct 6, 2005
  6. Well, if you want to go with SWF, and make it look like a Windows app, you
    don't want to scrimp, as you will need all of the development environment
    capabilities you can get to do the job in a manageable amount of time. We
    have done one (not completed yet), but it will take quite a few classes to
    emulate various Windows Forms controls. I wouldn't settle for less than the
    latest version of Flash MX.

    Kevin Spencer, Oct 7, 2005
  7. rviray

    rviray Guest

    Kevin - It's not that I want to skimp...it's that I have never used a
    SWF interface on the web with .NET before, and prior to your response
    I didn't know anyone (I know people have done it before, but no on
    that I personally knew or correspond with)...btw, I have posted thi
    question on a few boards. And since this would be a new de
    environment for me, I wanted to wood-shed prior to making my commitmen
    to go down this route, just to make sure that I can do it within th
    time allotted to me. Basically, if I asked my boss for the $$$ fo
    Flash MX and I couldn't use it...well...that would be an UGL
    conversation.

    JIMCO - as for the AJAX idea, are you saying to implement AJAX instea
    of relying on Web Services for the Data Communication methodology?

    Once again...thanks to everyone for their input!!!!

    Ralph

    rviray, Oct 7, 2005
  8. > JIMCO - as for the AJAX idea, are you saying to implement AJAX instead
    > of relying on Web Services for the Data Communication methodology?

    This is certainly a good method for preventing unnecessary PostBacks.
    However, you're still talking about an HTML interface.

    Kevin Spencer, Oct 7, 2005
  9. rviray wrote:

    > JIMCO - as for the AJAX idea, are you saying to implement AJAX instead
    > of relying on Web Services for the Data Communication methodology?

    Nope. What I'm saying is that you can call your Web methods via XmlHttp so
    that you are more closely emulating a Windows interface.

    JIMCO Software, Oct 7, 2005