Looking for opinions

crystalattice

I've been working on a game for several months but now I'm thinking I
may be going about it the wrong way. It's an online RPG designed to
recreate a pen & paper session, kind of like the OpenRPG project.

Originally I planned on doing something like OpenRPG with a Python app
that contained everything. But I'm thinking that approach may not be
necessary. Since the game would use the Internet for everyone to play
it, maybe it would be easier/better to just make a web app w/ Python
underpinnings. That way I wouldn't have to worry about making a Python
GUI and other "standalone" features that would have to be installed on
each players computer; they could just interact via a web browser and
IM.

The code I've made so far is just a text-based "proof-of-concept" for
the character generation to make sure I have the logic correct. I've
only been designing a GUI for the last few weeks and trying different
things like Tkinter and wxPython, so building a whole web app won't set
me back any.

With that in mind, I'm looking for opinions from more experienced
programmers. For this project, do you think I should continue w/
building a stand alone program or do you think making something out of
Django/Turbogears would be better?

Bruno Desthuilliers

crystalattice a écrit :
[...]

I have few experience with RPG softwares, but if your "domain" logic si
anything more than trivially complex, it's always better to keep it as
decoupled as possible from the user interface (unless of course the user
interface actually is the domain !-). FWIW, this doesn't prevent you
from using a web framework as the front-end...

crystalattice

Bruno said:
I have few experience with RPG softwares, but if your "domain" logic si
anything more than trivially complex, it's always better to keep it as
decoupled as possible from the user interface (unless of course the user
interface actually is the domain !-). FWIW, this doesn't prevent you
from using a web framework as the front-end...

Sorry, but what exactly do you mean by "domain"? I've heard of domains
before but I think my interpretation is different from yours in this
respect. Is this like the back-end code or do you mean something else?

Robert Kern

crystalattice said:
Sorry, but what exactly do you mean by "domain"? I've heard of domains
before but I think my interpretation is different from yours in this
respect. Is this like the back-end code or do you mean something else?

Yes. The code that represents player characters, NPCs, artifacts, maps, GM
notes, etc. rather than dialog boxes, windows, config files, HTML templates.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

Bruno Desthuilliers

crystalattice said:
Sorry, but what exactly do you mean by "domain"?

Sorry, OOA/D jargon. The "domain" (implied : the "problem domain") is
really the core of the application - here all the objects / classes /
functions / whatever that constitute your game system. IOW, it's the
Model part of the MVC triad.