Looking for recommendations

Discussion in 'Python' started by Scott Holmes, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. Scott Holmes

    Scott Holmes Guest

    I've yet to write anything worthwhile with Python, but I have been
    working my way through the O'Reilly books and scanning this list. I am
    considering porting a legal case management system to python and would
    like some input as to the best configuration of modules and interfaces
    for this. I wish to use PostgreSQL for a database engine and tie into
    OpenOffice as well. I need to be able to develop a suite of GUI
    programs with a fairly large number of pull down lists, browse screens,
    header/detail screens and the ability to jump between programs and back
    again without loosing state.

    This legal system has been around for many years as an Informix 4GL
    system on SCO. A few years ago it was ported to a now defunct Windows
    based language, an Informix and a PostgreSQL version were produced. I
    need to be able to produce a suite of programs portable to Linux,
    Windows and Apple if at all possible.

    Life on multiple learning curves is stressful, so I would appreciate any
    pointers to similar applications. I've noticed a few but am concerned
    about commiting to particular optional modules.

    I'm currently working on a RedHat 7.2 with three versions of Python.
    The latest being 2.2 that I installed myself. I have tk 8.3

    Thanks in advance...
    Scott Holmes http://sholmes.ws
    http://pages.sbcglobal.net/scottholmes

    Independent Programmer/Analyst Passport 4GL
    PHP HTML Composer PostgreSQL Informix 4GL, SQL
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    than are dreamt of in your philosophy
    Scott Holmes, Jul 30, 2003

  2. Scott Holmes

    John J. Lee Guest

    Scott Holmes <> writes:
    [...]
    > am considering porting a legal case management system to python and
    > would like some input as to the best configuration of modules and
    > interfaces for this. I wish to use PostgreSQL for a database engine

    There are several good interfaces to PostgreSQL. I don't know them
    well enough to recommend one above another.

    > and tie into OpenOffice as well. I need to be able to develop a suite

    PyUNO.

    > of GUI programs with a fairly large number of pull down lists, browse
    > screens, header/detail screens and the ability to jump between
    > programs and back again without loosing state.

    If you can afford the licenses, PyQt. Otherwise, wxWindows.

    [...]
    > I'm currently working on a RedHat 7.2 with three versions of
    > Python. The latest being 2.2 that I installed myself. I have tk 8.3

    If you're just starting and will be distributing Python with your app,
    I'd certainly say start with 2.3.

    John
    John J. Lee, Jul 30, 2003