Looking for references/tips on learning other languages after perl

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Matthew Braid, Apr 11, 2006.

  1. Hi all,

    While I continue to write in perl almost exclusively, my work has
    changed slightly so that I need to get back into a fully compilable
    language (I know about PAR, but its not wholly my decision). I used to
    be quite proficient in C but its been so long that I've almost forgotten
    it, and I'd prefer to be writing OO code, so I'm looking into C#.

    Syntax I'll learn on the way - I've always found language syntax to be
    the easy part of learning a language - but what I really need to have is
    a kind of map of how to do things in C# that I currently do in perl - a
    sort of translator if you will.

    Some things I have found myself (Regular expressions, Hashes
    especially), but there are other things that I use a lot in perl that I
    still need to 'translate'. And I'm well aware there are some things that
    won't easily translate (I'm expecting stringy evals to be near
    impossible, but luckily I don't use them very often, and AUTOLOAD I'm
    expecting to be quite difficult at the least too).

    What I'm looking for is a reference/book/whatever that might have
    information like this. Has anyone out there found such a thing, or know
    of such a resource?

    TIA,
    MB
    Matthew Braid, Apr 11, 2006