Looking for research topic in Java for Graduate Level Computer Science Class.

Discussion in 'Java' started by Markis Landis Gardner, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. I am wanting to take a research class in Graduate School. My professor said
    he would be willing to work with me, but I had to come up with the idea.

    Since I know VERY little about Java, I was hoping some one out there in the
    Java World might have an idea. I don't think I am breaking the rules about
    asking for a topic...

    It has to be a quality idea that can be done in a 16 week semester that is
    appropriate for a graduate student. It does not need to be a master's
    thesis - that will come later.

    Remember, all I want is ideas!!

    If you can help me please email me at -
    please take out the _no_spam_

    My goal is to increase my research skills and my writing skills (I will have
    to write a paper) so that when I try for my PhD (if I pass the prelims) I
    won't have to struggle over that piece of it.

    Thanks,

    Markis

    Markis Landis Gardner, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Markis Landis Gardner

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Markis Landis Gardner" <> wrote in message
    > I am wanting to take a research class in Graduate School. My professor

    said
    > he would be willing to work with me, but I had to come up with the idea.

    How about a simulation of snowflake growth that allows the user to specify
    the variation of temperature and humidity as the flake falls? Prof. Kenneth
    Libbrecht at Caltech has come up with a model of snowflake growth under
    various conditions:
    and in the article about it in the New York Times (23 Dec 03) there was no
    mention of a computer program to put it all together. It would make a
    great applet for teaching about snowflakes.

    Mickey Segal, Jan 7, 2004

    Roedy Green has some here: http://mindprod.com/projects.html

    > If you can help me please email me at -
    > please take out the _no_spam_

    But we all use newsgroups so that others may share the wisdom.

    > My goal is to increase my research skills and my writing skills (I will

    have
    > to write a paper) so that when I try for my PhD (if I pass the prelims) I
    > won't have to struggle over that piece of it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Markis

    Good luck,
    Matt Humphrey http://www.iviz.com/