Looking for small, impressive 3D-related Python script

Kenneth McDonald

I'm not trying to persuade my company to offer Python as a scripting
language for their product, but I am trying to give them examples of
things that Python can do easily that cannot be done easily with
their current proprietary scripting language. After that it would be
their decision. As the product is a 3D package, I'm looking for
something in this field.

This does _not_ have to use PyOpenGL, or for that matter, any Python
3D package. In fact, my ideal would be a Python script that simply
uses L-Systems (Lindenmayer systems) as in "The Algorithmic Beauty of
Plants", to generate plantlike OBJ files that can then be displayed
in our program. In general, something that generates an OBJ file
would probably be preferable to something that actually uses
PyOpenGL, Blender, etc, as then I can just display the OBJ file in
our program to say, "This is the sort of thing that can be easily
done by Python without recourse to any other programs".

So please, any suggestions are welcome.

As always, many thanks to this group,
Ken

Michael Schneider

Ken,

I would suggest that you embed python in your app (very easy to do).

-And convert several of your existing scripts to python.

-Show them a stack of python books for customer training purposes

- Drive excel with python (allows integration of your product with other
products.

- Pick an area of functionality that your product offers today that your
customer would like to customize.

- convert this alg to python
- hack you product to execute the python script
- code a variant of the alg in python
- execute your variant to demonstrate that python can lower custom
development cost, and provide points of extensibility

Have fun,
good luck,
Mike