Looking for software: simple proxy for client-server debugging?

Grisha Golberg

Hi all,

I am looking for software that can sit between a client
and a server, forward requests from one to another, as
well as save and replay them from any point. (Let's say
HTTP requests, although it doesn't matter). This is not
a real proxy I'm looking for (e.g., efficiency is not
a factor), but something useful in debugging client-server
behavior.

Thomas Weidenfeller

well as save and replay them from any point. (Let's say
HTTP requests, although it doesn't matter).

Unfortunately, it matters. E.g. if you have a protocol that transfers
the IP address of one of the involved parties to the other, the
protocol might break if you just add a man-in-the-middle.
a real proxy I'm looking for (e.g., efficiency is not
a factor), but something useful in debugging client-server
behavior.

The usuall way is to use one of the better packet sniffers like
ethereal with a modul for the particular client-server protocol. Plus a
bunch of test scripts that run the client so you have reproducable test
cases.

/Thomas