Looking for Stephen Turner, maintainer of informixdb

Discussion in 'Python' started by Carsten Haese, Mar 28, 2005.

  1. Hello everybody:

    I have discovered that the functionality for connecting Python to an
    Informix database is currently in a frustrating state of neglect. The
    link to Kinfxdb is dead, and informixdb doesn't build on Python 2. I
    couldn't find any usable workarounds to the build problem, so I worked
    out successfully how to build informixdb using distutils.

    Now I'd like to share the result with the community, but the maintainer
    appears to have gone missing. My emails to and
    have bounced back undeliverable, so now I'm
    posting to the lists trying to locate Stephen.

    If anybody has any pointers for locating Stephen Turner, please let me
    know. If Stephen can't be located, I'd be willing to take over the
    project, but I'd prefer the torch be given to me rather than me just
    taking it.

    Thanks,

    --
    Carsten Haese - Software Engineer | Phone: (419) 861-3331
    Unique Systems, Inc. | FAX: (419) 861-3340
    Carsten Haese, Mar 28, 2005

  2. Carsten Haese wrote:

    > Hello everybody:
    >
    > I have discovered that the functionality for connecting Python to an
    > Informix database is currently in a frustrating state of neglect. The
    > link to Kinfxdb is dead, and informixdb doesn't build on Python 2. I
    > couldn't find any usable workarounds to the build problem, so I worked
    > out successfully how to build informixdb using distutils.
    >
    > Now I'd like to share the result with the community, but the maintainer
    > appears to have gone missing. My emails to and
    > have bounced back undeliverable, so now I'm
    > posting to the lists trying to locate Stephen.
    >
    > If anybody has any pointers for locating Stephen Turner, please let me
    > know. If Stephen can't be located, I'd be willing to take over the
    > project, but I'd prefer the torch be given to me rather than me just
    > taking it.

    Carsten,

    haven't heard anything from Stephen either, but there are some extensions to
    the informixdb module. I'll send the sources to you next week. So if you
    like you can bundle everything in one package.

    Kind greetings,
    Michael
    Michael Husmann, Mar 29, 2005

  3. On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 03:05, Michael Husmann wrote:
    > Carsten Haese wrote:
    >
    > > Hello everybody:
    > >
    > > I have discovered that the functionality for connecting Python to an
    > > Informix database is currently in a frustrating state of neglect. The
    > > link to Kinfxdb is dead, and informixdb doesn't build on Python 2. I
    > > couldn't find any usable workarounds to the build problem, so I worked
    > > out successfully how to build informixdb using distutils.
    > >
    > > Now I'd like to share the result with the community, but the maintainer
    > > appears to have gone missing. My emails to and
    > > have bounced back undeliverable, so now I'm
    > > posting to the lists trying to locate Stephen.
    > >
    > > If anybody has any pointers for locating Stephen Turner, please let me
    > > know. If Stephen can't be located, I'd be willing to take over the
    > > project, but I'd prefer the torch be given to me rather than me just
    > > taking it.

    > Carsten,
    >
    > haven't heard anything from Stephen either, but there are some extensions to
    > the informixdb module. I'll send the sources to you next week. So if you
    > like you can bundle everything in one package.

    Michael, I'd certainly like to take a look at those extensions. (I tried
    to respond to you off-list, but my mail bounced back. Is this project
    cursed or am I? :) I hope you're reading this, Michael.)

    A week has gone by with no replies as to Stephen's whereabouts, and one
    reply telling me that I can, in good faith, go ahead and release a fork.
    Unless somebody tells me I should wait longer, I guess I'll do that.
    Stay tuned for the announcement on when and where my fork will be
    available.

    Best regards,

    Carsten Haese, Apr 4, 2005